Heard Of Grass Poisoning

sllebasi

my brothers 16 month old GSD was in serious trouble this morning. Ended up having fits, vomiting and diarhrea (sp??), arrived unconscious at 24 hour vet, was put on charcoal and drip. Brother was told that he would not be taking the beloved pet back home.

All appears okay for now, vets amazed at apparant recovery, is sleeping at the moment, but all fingers are pointing to grass left in a compost heap which has produced a toxic reaction. not sure what long term affects are yet but still praying for recovery

anybody heard of this before

edit: no weed killer has been used

Edited by sllebasi

Grass clippings can definitely be fatal to horses.

Reason is that they can rapidly ferment, producing huge amounts of mould. They'll also radically alter the gut flora.

Any chemicals used on the lawn could also produce problems.

I'd imagine the same result is possible with dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately it does not appear that grass poisoning was the cause of the initial problems. It now appears that it is a fatal, incurable liver/genetic problem, and the next seizure she has, she probably wont wake up from, so we are all really disappointed.

Unfortunately it does not appear that grass poisoning was the cause of the initial problems. It now appears that it is a fatal, incurable liver/genetic problem, and the next seizure she has, she probably wont wake up from, so we are all really disappointed.

:thumbsup: That's awful news to hear .I'm sorry.

What is the condition?

was admitted to hospital again sunday morning, as legs were going funny, have been told to take her home and love her, they initially thought she may have 6 months to live, but it now looks more likely that it will be much sooner than later.

There are organisms in decaying plant matter that are highly toxic. Botulism is one that I know of.

What a terrible experience.

We lost a dog to that along time ago. But a whole different story. She was gone when I went out to feed her one night. Only took 3-4 hours total.