Micro-chipping Prior To Dogs Victoria Registration Be Compulsory Acros

SwaY

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**From the ANKC**

At the October 2010 ANKC Conference, it was resolved that micro-chipping prior to Dogs Victoria registration be compulsory across all states by 1st January 2012.

WoooooHoooo :eek: :p :)

Now they just have to retain the breeder as a third contact.

Might get the writing skills up and running. :( ;) ;) :)

Im somewhat confused about the whole microchipping system.

Was under the impression we had to have them microchipped before pups went so with a couple of litters I had pups microchipped at 6 weeks and then sent in papers to Dogs Vic with chip numbers on - I got the papers back with microchip numbers but not back in time to go with some of the pups.

Repeated the same with my last litter however papers came back without chip numbers ? I didnt realise the rules had changed and they now required the chip number to be authorised or something?

Couldn't see why I bothered waiting till pups microchipped......

So what exactly is the order we are expected to do with the registration now...... or at least with the "new system".

Vic require a sticker with the microchip number to be stuck on the registration form, and not a hand written number. Microchips come with 3 stickers from memory.

They do now, or they will?

I've never put the microchip number on my pups rego form (I do have them microchipped though) - just their tattoo number :laugh:

Vic require a sticker with the microchip number to be stuck on the registration form, and not a hand written number. Microchips come with 3 stickers from memory.

They do now, or they will?

I've never put the microchip number on my pups rego form (I do have them microchipped though) - just their tattoo number :laugh:

They have wanted the sticker attached to the form for nearly 12 months now.

Prior to that you could write it and it would be accepted.

(Mind you the form is not really big enough for the stickers, you have to over lap them)

I also think microchip papers need three contact details

Owner, 2nd contact and breeder.

Perhaps its time for Vic Dog to revamp their forms.... give us enough space to add the details properly.......

:laugh: I was in there the other day, they still had Registration forms with only 24 spaces on it.

It's been 30 for 2+ years now.

Well that at least makes more sense than DogsNSW where only accredited breeders need do it.

From the dogs NSW web site.

Compulsory Microchip Prior to Registration - 1st January 2012

DOGS NSW wish to advise their members that as from 1st January 2012, to assist with positive identification, it will be mandatory to include individual microchip numbers for each puppy included on the application to register a litter.

Please note that this notice is being published in the January 2011 Gazette and the ANKC will be issuing a full Press Release in a later issue of the Gazette.

In general I think it is great but I have only one problem with Micrchipping required for Registration

at present for some litters I rush my registrations so that I can identify pups when DNA testing pups for a specific problem in our breed.

I can then make my choices as to which are definitely pets and which are contenders for the longterm health of our breed.

By waiting the extra 2-3 weeks it will make the pups at least 10 weeks before I can even decide their future which in some cases make pups of our breed very difficult to place as pets.

If I am pushed into discarding my breeding carriers before I have quality clear offspring to carry on with because it makes placing pups to difficult I worry that I am risking the longterm viability of my breed. :laugh:

In general I think it is great but I have only one problem with Micrchipping required for Registration

at present for some litters I rush my registrations so that I can identify pups when DNA testing pups for a specific problem in our breed.

I can then make my choices as to which are definitely pets and which are contenders for the longterm health of our breed.

By waiting the extra 2-3 weeks it will make the pups at least 10 weeks before I can even decide their future which in some cases make pups of our breed very difficult to place as pets.

If I am pushed into discarding my breeding carriers before I have quality clear offspring to carry on with because it makes placing pups to difficult I worry that I am risking the longterm viability of my breed. :laugh:

Not understanding this ?

Don't you have to have them microchipped before the DNA test anyway ?

My poodles have to be before any PRA test. They won't do it unless there is a microchip to ID the dog.

Overall I have no problem with compulsary microchip, I do it anyway.

Edited by Christina

Perhaps its time for Vic Dog to revamp their forms.... give us enough space to add the details properly.......

:laugh: I was in there the other day, they still had Registration forms with only 24 spaces on it.

It's been 30 for 2+ years now.

That's annoying! There I was counting up letters and discarding the 25 letter names for my first litter. :)

Not understanding this ?

Don't you have to have them microchipped before the DNA test anyway ?

My poodles have to be before any PRA test. They won't do it unless there is a microchip to ID the dog.

Overall I have no problem with compulsary microchip, I do it anyway.

Testing is voluntary for this condition and so for my own information so I have the pups ID as the registration at this time

If it becomes required in the future I will have to wait for microchipping but our breed it is easy to distinguish individual pups.

Accurate DNA requires the microchipp detail so I cannot see your problem. I had to do DNA profiling for proof of parentage and it was done the ribbon colour for name.

Once the dad was established I registered them and then told GT the name and got new DNA papers.

Accurate DNA requires the microchipp detail so I cannot see your problem. I had to do DNA profiling for proof of parentage and it was done the ribbon colour for name.

Once the dad was established I registered them and then told GT the name and got new DNA papers.

Testing is done overseas and the timeframes make it difficult for timely results no doubt after January I will have to wait for microchipping anyway and will then test only the pups that I choose to stay on the main register and keep my fingers crossed that I have selected clears to run on and have not petted a quality potential clear in the litter.