Swimming Technique

CrazyCresties

One waterbaby reporting. He took off today following some ducks. Was quite quick! He swam so far I thought I'd have to go in after him if he started struggling (its only the second or third time he has been swimming) - luckily he comes when called!

post-35830-1292660255_thumb.jpg

Tilly was about 8 months old when I got her, I'm not sure if she swam with her previous owners, as she was a stray. When I still had to keep her on the lead the first couple of times she went to the park, when she saw dogs running into the water she launched herself in there too. The next time she was at the park there was a lady swimming in the water who encouraged Tilly to swim by calling her over. Tilly didn't need much encouragement though, she loves swimming. She won't swim in our pool though, wish she would as it would be a good way to give her extra exercise.

4469529606_c72aeb9bbc_b.jpg

Matilda by fainty_girl, on Flickr

4993131260_fe7db957f5_b.jpg

Matilda by fainty_girl, on Flickr

Jessie chooses not to swim...she used to only go in water up to her belly but she now goes in deeper water. She likes wading through water, running through shallow water and laying down. The other week I noticed that when she was in the water a couple of times she went in a little too deep and swam for a split second. I might try and encourage her to swim over summer, because physically i'm sure she could.

5191187601_9b4d1ee8d6_b.jpg

Jessie by fainty_girl, on Flickr

What would you guys consider the 'correct' way to introduce your dog to water? Lexi isnt that keen on water (she is a broken Retriever) but I want her to learn to enjoy it

I don't know about there being an absolute "correct" way, but in my experience I think the best way comprises of the following criteria :

• Quiet/still water
  • An entry that is gradual - like that at the beach where it (generally) is a matter of wading in towards deeper water, rather than one moment having feet on the ground the next moment nothing.
  • Allow the dog to become comfortable with the water depth in his/her own time.
  • Make it lots of fun.
  • Being in the water with the dog is helpful - gives confidence.

The problem with the beach are the waves - crashing waves (even small white water) can put some 'first timer' dogs off. I found the best times to go are right on low tide and of course on the most still days you can arrange. Dams/lakes are good for still water - but you need a nice entry point where it is not too much of a sudden drop to nothingness. You also need to be mindful of snakes as dams/lakes are where they often manifest in the warmer months.

In my limited experience (ie my own dog) I found introduction to water via doggy swimming pools too much. Too many other dogs and noise. Too enclosed. And one moment you're on hard ground, the next it is gone. I found this order of re-introduction served well for rehabilitation :

Clam Shell Pool

Dam/lake

Beach

What would you guys consider the 'correct' way to introduce your dog to water? Lexi isnt that keen on water (she is a broken Retriever) but I want her to learn to enjoy it

I don't know about there being an absolute "correct" way, but in my experience I think the best way comprises of the following criteria :

• Quiet/still water
  • An entry that is gradual - like that at the beach where it (generally) is a matter of wading in towards deeper water, rather than one moment having feet on the ground the next moment nothing.
  • Allow the dog to become comfortable with the water depth in his/her own time.
  • Make it lots of fun.
  • Being in the water with the dog is helpful - gives confidence.

The problem with the beach are the waves - crashing waves (even small white water) can put some 'first timer' dogs off. I found the best times to go are right on low tide and of course on the most still days you can arrange. Dams/lakes are good for still water - but you need a nice entry point where it is not too much of a sudden drop to nothingness. You also need to be mindful of snakes as dams/lakes are where they often manifest in the warmer months.

In my limited experience (ie my own dog) I found introduction to water via doggy swimming pools too much. Too many other dogs and noise. Too enclosed. And one moment you're on hard ground, the next it is gone. I found this order of re-introduction served well for rehabilitation :

Clam Shell Pool

Dam/lake

Beach

Thanks Erny

Yeah I took her to the beach about a month back and she liked getting her feet in the water, but the movement of the water was scary, she was *ok* with it if I was right there with her, with my hand on her in support, but otherwise she would run away from the moving water...when we actually get a warm/sunny weekend Ill seek out a place to take her

Being a Retriever she should like retrieving, so I would encourage her into the water with a retrieving toy attached to a rope and to start with don't throw it out to far, just into the shallow water to encourage her in to get her confidence up and then gradually throw it further and further out when she is ready. With the retrieving toy attached to a rope that you have hold of, you have no danger of losing the toy if she decides not to retrieve it :mad or you inadvertently let the rope go, which I have done before :rofl: but luckily was able to get hold of the rope again.

Each time you take her swimming, she should gain more and more confidence and you can throw the retrieving toy further and further, depending on the length of rope you have. I brought the River Rope and Puppy trainers when my youngster was a baby pup and I got them from here (just scroll down to see the puppy trainers) and I still use it today when I take him to the river. The puppy trainer is nice and light and very comfortable for a youngster to carry as it doesn't need to have its mouth wide open to carry it and therefore reduces the risk of pup/youngster swallowing too much water. I also brought a Katie Bumper (a blue and white one) at the same time which I use for land retrieves at this stage.

Good luck and just take a gently gently approach with her as once they are confident in the water there is no holding them back and it is a delight to see :rolleyes:

Being a Retriever she should like retrieving, so I would encourage her into the water with a retrieving toy attached to a rope and to start with don't throw it out to far, just into the shallow water to encourage her in to get her confidence up and then gradually throw it further and further out when she is ready. With the retrieving toy attached to a rope that you have hold of, you have no danger of losing the toy if she decides not to retrieve it :mad or you inadvertently let the rope go, which I have done before :rofl: but luckily was able to get hold of the rope again.

Each time you take her swimming, she should gain more and more confidence and you can throw the retrieving toy further and further, depending on the length of rope you have. I brought the River Rope and Puppy trainers when my youngster was a baby pup and I got them from here (just scroll down to see the puppy trainers) and I still use it today when I take him to the river. The puppy trainer is nice and light and very comfortable for a youngster to carry as it doesn't need to have its mouth wide open to carry it and therefore reduces the risk of pup/youngster swallowing too much water. I also brought a Katie Bumper (a blue and white one) at the same time which I use for land retrieves at this stage.

Good luck and just take a gently gently approach with her as once they are confident in the water there is no holding them back and it is a delight to see :rolleyes:

She is a failed retriever in more ways than one lol :rofl:

Oh I see :rofl: any chance of a refund from her breeder :)

Oh I see :rofl: any chance of a refund from her breeder :)

Doubtful lol :)

She wants to retrieve, but she will just run after the toy and then run back to me lol, she does fetch on occasion but more often than not she will just chase the toy lol...or just sit there and look at me as if to say "well, you threw it now go get it!"

GoldenGirl85, does your other dog swim? My little one isn't too keen on the idea, until our older boy goes in, and she will follow him. Especially if I go in with him.

is a video of Satch and me at the river. Once we get all the way out he does swim, but you can barely notice as he's such a good swimmer! :mad

And here's

video, not swimming as such, just playing in the mud this morning :rolleyes:

GoldenGirl85, does your other dog swim? My little one isn't too keen on the idea, until our older boy goes in, and she will follow him. Especially if I go in with him.

is a video of Satch and me at the river. Once we get all the way out he does swim, but you can barely notice as he's such a good swimmer! :mad

And here's

video, not swimming as such, just playing in the mud this morning :rolleyes:

Not really, but she isnt a water loving breed...I mean she will go into water up to her belly if she is chasing a ball or something, but she wont actively swim

Great to see so many new pics of water loving dogs in here :(

Unless you have a specific and real need for it, I don't think swimming vests for anything beyond immediate short term (eg. first couple of swims) is recommended. I'm not an expert but I think that it is something to do with the dog learning to rely on the vest and not learning to use his/her legs to propel. This might be why you're not seeing your dog use his/her hind legs so much as s/he doesn't need to do so, to keep afloat. Keep a lead on to help your dog where need be, but try without the vest, perhaps.

Thanks Erny, we have now moved onto swimming without the vest and they are both doing well - Louis is still not really using his back legs though :(

Get me OUT of here!!!! :party:

3612720225_41269a785b.jpg

She has since learned to swim properly with the help of the vest and now she's okay :cry:

:cheers: That's just what Daisy looked like to start with, but she too is a good swimmer now :cry:

I think Louis could only improve his stroke if he lowered that crazy tail into the water, then it would be like an outboard and he'd zoooooooooooooooom along in the water. :D

:D :thumbsup::)

And here's
video, not swimming as such, just playing in the mud this morning :cheer:

:cry::thumbsup: