I Found A Lump On My Labrador

*Avanti*

When patting Heidi, one of my Labrador girls last night I discovered a lump, a bit bigger than the size of a golf ball. It is in her body, just near her front leg. It is not visually obvious as it is tucked away in what is like the armpit but the legpit if that was to make sense. This girl has had such a bad run of health already and I fear cancer. :) I've made a vet appt next week for it which is the earliest I will be able to afford any procedures. We were only there the other day for allergy management issues then I discover the lump that night. She's 7 years old and has had pancreatitis, then kidney failure which is so far maintained with a special diet.

Edited by LabTested

I'm so sorry that your girl has had such bad health.

I have had a few dogs with lumps - and especially from middle to older aged dogs.

They have all turned out to be Limpomas (sp?) and been easily treated. I'm pretty sure they are very, very common so hopefully this is what your girl has.

I think in my dogs they have all been biopsied then left. I had a foster dog who had his Limpoma removed because it was HUGE and rubbed when he walked, otherwise they are often just left.

My best wishes for good news from the vet.

Having also just discovered a lump on my own dog, I know how you feel - and truly wish that it is a benign lump that will cause no further health issues for Heidi.

ETA - my older girl also had a couple of lumps in the same region you described and her chest, which were scary, but turned out to be fatty lipomas, very harmless.

Best of luck with positive news for the results.

Edited by Kelly_Louise

Thanks for the more optimistic outlook. I wasn't aware of lipomas but remember my old lab has a lump or two that never became a problem for him. I must admit given her health history I tend to panic a little now. Fingers crossed it will be a lipoma or something similarly benign.

My 7yo lab has just started developing limpomas. I panicked when I found it as well.

Vet said if they are smooth and a uniform shape probably nothing to worry about.

As this is the first best to take her to the vet. They will aspirate it and check for cancer cells.

If it is in her legpit it could be something serious. I assume dogs also have lymph glands there as humans do, but chances are it will be OK.

Good Luck!

My neighbour had an oldish Lab X.

She was one great dog that, yep you knew you could leave a kid with her.

Well onday while I was looking after her while they went away I noticed this lump on her.

And on their return I told them about it. And nothing was done.

Each month you could see this lump getting bigger.

The Next doors had to go away for a major operation.

And one morning I looked out our window to see her laying on the grass.

Nothing unusual about that as I just thought she was sunning herself.

Hours later she was still there so I went over and had a look at her, and she couldn't move.

So I got hold of his daughter who contacted the neighbours exwife.

She came and took her away and that was the last we seen of her.

It was a mamory glan that had turned cancerous.

She sisn't have to go that way if they listen to me when I first told them.

But I think you should run your hands over your dog each day and get a feel of what is there so this never has to happen to anyone ever again.