Litters Due In January 2011

Rottsup

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on your babies Havasneeze. Lucky you getting all girls.

Were you after a girl?

BB

Thanks BB. I wasn't actually after anything. I didn't want to mate them but they had other ideas :birthday: They only did it the one time and it was a slip mating so I had my fingers crossed that it didn't take.... :birthday:

post-35090-1296181076_thumb.jpg

Blossom started whelping at 2.50pm and finished at 6.25pm. Perfect time of day and no complications.

awww - look at them all, looks like they vary in size which is to be expected with a big litter. Check out the boofer on the right.

The smallest puppy has put on a little bit of weight, the rest have lost a few grams.

Would it be a good idea to top them up, or see how they are a bit later today?

Portia is getting the hang of this feeding business now.

I know they should double their birth weight in a week, but is it usual for them to go down a little bit the first day?

The smallest puppy has put on a little bit of weight, the rest have lost a few grams.

Would it be a good idea to top them up, or see how they are a bit later today?

Portia is getting the hang of this feeding business now.

I know they should double their birth weight in a week, but is it usual for them to go down a little bit the first day?

Congratulations Paptacular. We have both been busy the last two days. Our pugs usually lose around 10% (less if small) in the first 24 hours but we would then expect them to go up. We don't top up if they are strong as we want them to get as much of the colostrum as possible. Our smallest puppy was born at 114gm, dropped to 112gm in the first 12 hours but is now 130gm 40 hrs after birth. He is strong, drinks the most out of the 7 puppies and is fiesty. Good luck.

Here are my weights if that's any help, good to know a small loss is normal.

Boy 1 from 105g to 107g

Boy 2 from 127g to 121g

Boy 3 from 153g to 139g (biggest loss)

Girl 1 from 147g to 143g.

They've been suckling, have seen one sucking the gland and not the teat, so fixed her up. I gave Portia a squeeze before and milk was coming out of only one teat.... silly question, does this mean the pups may have fed from the others (they were red, so had been suckled from) and those one's supply is drained and waiting to be refilled? :rainbowbridge:

My first litter, so I apologise if the answer is bleedingly obvious.

Here are my weights if that's any help, good to know a small loss is normal.

Boy 1 from 105g to 107g

Boy 2 from 127g to 121g

Boy 3 from 153g to 139g (biggest loss)

Girl 1 from 147g to 143g.

They've been suckling, have seen one sucking the gland and not the teat, so fixed her up. I gave Portia a squeeze before and milk was coming out of only one teat.... silly question, does this mean the pups may have fed from the others (they were red, so had been suckled from) and those one's supply is drained and waiting to be refilled? :rainbowbridge:

My first litter, so I apologise if the answer is bleedingly obvious.

The more they feed the more mum will make and her milk will come down faster. The colostrum always looks like there is not enough but it is so rich. Are they crying much? If they seem content, still keep putting them on as often as you can to see if they would like to drink. Mine would stay on there for an hour at a time. Some puppies will lay there and look content but may need a bit of encouragement so they don't slip under the radar. Mine are laying on a heat pad even though today is quite warm as this will help them digest the milk. If they become too warm they will move. I weigh at least 3-4 times a day in the first few days to graph the gain. As the loss is small you should see a gain soon.

I am sure you are doing everything right. :hug:

It's 32 degrees here today. The pups are in my bedroom, there is a main aircon in the lounge that we have put on for a little bit. A little bit of cool is coming in but not draughty at all.

I have been putting a wheat bag in with them as well.

They are crying a little, not sure if it is too much though? They're happily suckling away at the moment, so I'm off for a nap.

Will weigh again later tonight to see how they're progressing.