Base The Cost Of A Dog On Colour, Why?

Kristin Dwyer

I understand this subject has come up most likely 200x's before (im sorry!).

However, why do people base the cost of a dog to there "colour"?

I find it, there just after the cash and a money making scam. Why shound a dog cost more because its a rare colour? Isnt the same breed/type/temperament at the end of day?

Its just like when i have my first litter of Border Collies this year, i got a 2 blue merle's in the litter and i could of ripped people off for there $$$. Then why should i do that, there just as even as my other puppies in my litter. Plus i would so much rather, a sweet loving family home where they are treated like every other dog and not just more its looks or fancy colour. :(

Whats your view on this?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it, there just after the cash and a money making scam. Why shound a dog cost more because its a rare colour? Isnt the same breed/type/temperament at the end of day?

Its just like when i have my first litter of Border Collies this year, i got a 2 blue merle's in the litter and i could of ripped people off for there $$$. Then why should i do that, there just as even as my other puppies in my litter. Plus i would so much rather, a sweet loving family home where they are treated like every other dog and not just more its looks or fancy colour. :(

Whats your view on this?

You're preaching to the converted where I"m concerned. :( What matters more (and what a lot of buyers can't seem to grasp) is temperament and construction. The colour of the coat is a nice to have if you have a preference but far too many folk make it their first priority and there are breeders prepared to fleece them to oblige.

It's all about the $$$$$$$$

People perceive a certain thing to be "rare" so they perceive that this is worth more.

Unfortunately people don't see that what is becoming increasingly rare is pedigree dogs bred by ethical people who choose their breeding stock with the first considerations being temperament and health - but they aren't the ones charging mega-bucks.

I read somewhere that there are white Mini Schnauzers overseas. I wonder if they will be sold for more $$ than the other colours once they come into Australia. Maybe breeders will charge for the extra expence of importing a breeding dog of that colour ?

It's all about the $$$$$$$$

People perceive a certain thing to be "rare" so they perceive that this is worth more.

Unfortunately people don't see that what is becoming increasingly rare is pedigree dogs bred by ethical people who choose their breeding stock with the first considerations being temperament and health - but they aren't the ones charging mega-bucks.

agree. :wave:

Its just like when i have my first litter of Border Collies this year, i got a 2 blue merle's in the litter and i could of ripped people off for there $$$.

Blue merles are one the easiest colours to breed for and not rare in BCs and the fact that people are willing to pay more for them shows how easily people can be duped into thinking something is rare and unique. No colour should be more expensive.

Having a colour preference is not problem but the colour should not be the primary reason for buying a dog. I am still waiting for my classically marked black tri BC.

Its just like when i have my first litter of Border Collies this year, i got a 2 blue merle's in the litter and i could of ripped people off for there $$$. Then why should i do that, there just as even as my other puppies in my litter. Plus i would so much rather, a sweet loving family home where they are treated like every other dog and not just more its looks or fancy colour. :wave:

Whats your view on this?

I have a preference as both an exhibitor and breeder for coat colour. I love my black brindles and the less brindle and white I have on them the better. There's nothing wrong with that and I'm not alone but it's what breeders are prepared to sacrafice in order to get/maintain that colour preference that sorts the wheat from the chaff.

I personally look for the best match for the dogs and bitches in terms of type, temperament, structure and soundness, the choice can be any colour, providing it's within the breed standard and will produce pups that are the same. For me that means no dilutes or any animal likely to produce a dilute but I'm open to the red, brindle, white, pied and everything else accpetable.

No colour should cost more than another.

Its just like when i have my first litter of Border Collies this year, i got a 2 blue merle's in the litter and i could of ripped people off for there $$$. Then why should i do that, there just as even as my other puppies in my litter. Plus i would so much rather, a sweet loving family home where they are treated like every other dog and not just more its looks or fancy colour. :wave:

Whats your view on this?

I have a preference as both an exhibitor and breeder for coat colour. I love my black brindles and the less brindle and white I have on them the better. There's nothing wrong with that and I'm not alone but it's what breeders are prepared to sacrafice in order to get/maintain that colour preference that sorts the wheat from the chaff.

I personally look for the best match for the dogs and bitches in terms of type, temperament, structure and soundness, the choice can be any colour, providing it's within the breed standard and will produce pups that are the same. For me that means no dilutes or any animal likely to produce a dilute but I'm open to the red, brindle, white, pied and everything else accpetable.

X2

not that I breed a breed that has a colour preference...

My other breed does come in more than one colour choice. All I want for my next one is to have good conformation and temperament and overall health. Colour is a bit like a surprise to me!

Edited by SparkyTansy

Whats your view on this?

You're preaching to the converted where I"m concerned. :eek: What matters more (and what a lot of buyers can't seem to grasp) is temperament and construction. The colour of the coat is a nice to have if you have a preference but far too many folk make it their first priority and there are breeders prepared to fleece them to oblige.

Yes, ill have to agree with you there. Its the sad that go for colour rather than temperament and type, ie some blue staffys, are get ripped any where from $2500 to $4000, i mean some of them ive seen look Amstaff's and look nothing like a staffy.

Coloured BC's are very where now, i myself knowing a "so called breeder" who just breeds for the fancy colours with health, temperament right out the door. then trys to sell them for much as possable, and the sad things are is these puppies stuffer and the owners do as well. This person, has breed 6deaf dogs only in this one year she's been breed "pedigreed" BC's.

some blue staffys, are get ripped any where from $2500 to $4000, i mean some of them ive seen look Amstaff's and look nothing like a staffy.

And the really scary part is that they are NOT rare. I still can't understand how seemingly intelligent people can look through the adverts on here (just as an example) and see that of the 90-odd adverts 50+ will be for blue pups - and still believe the colour is rare.

I think perhaps people allow themselves to be deluded so they can rationalise their desire to own something which costs way more than any sensible person would pay for an otherwise substandard item.

some blue staffys, are get ripped any where from $2500 to $4000, i mean some of them ive seen look Amstaff's and look nothing like a staffy.

And the really scary part is that they are NOT rare. I still can't understand how seemingly intelligent people can look through the adverts on here (just as an example) and see that of the 90-odd adverts 50+ will be for blue pups - and still believe the colour is rare.

I think perhaps people allow themselves to be deluded so they can rationalise their desire to own something which costs way more than any sensible person would pay for an otherwise substandard item.

:wave: I know I shouldn't laugh but that's a classic

Yeah, thats one thing i dont understand, like you! They are no were near "rare", every 2nd/3rd add "RARE BLUE STAFFY"S" however there EVERY WHERE to be seen! :wave:

If ever got another staffy and breed her, and if she had blue's. I would sell them as the standard price like every other pup.

Also another question: with a price difference again, however with main or limited pappers. Selling main reg pups for more because there more "beautiful"?

I can imagine paying more for a very rare breed of dog or one whose lines carry something exceptional, because availability affects price in most other areas of life. But since I'm not into rare breeds I would like to think I am paying for what I get, which means a skilled breeder has raised a healthy and socially capable pup ready to be safely rehomed and has assessed me as a suitable owner of own of their pups. I like to read the pups born each month on DOL and can see that there is the potential for breeders to spend a lot of money to raise litters so I would like to see a breeder adequately compensated for the efforts but not greedy or jumping on a colour bandwagon (a la blue SBTs).

Like most people I am first attracted to the look (colour) of dog and do have my favourite looks for several breeds (I like short haired pieds in several breeds). But immediately after I narrow it down to that I need to know the health is good and most importantly that the dog has the personality both of the breed and of what I like/need in my life. No point me choosing a dog that doesn't like cuddles and to play when that is what gives me a lot of pleasure is it? I am not after a show dog either so a wonky ear or size not to standard are not a concern to me, but health issues that might cause me to lose a beautiful dog at a young age definately are. The dog needs to suit me and I need to suit the dog.

Maybe too many people just don't go past the look of an animal? Maybe if they saw more rescue puppies they would realise that all dogs are beautiful when they are young and dependant and it is what they turn in to that they should be thinking about. A dog you adore is still a dog you adore regardless of it is 12 weeks or 12 years old.

It's economics and the way a market works - a rare or more desirable colour presents an opportunity where a consumer may be willing to and usually does pay more than they normally would and some breeders will take full advantage of it. It happens in consumption of all types.

Earlier this year, I was at a show where a breeder was talking to a member of the public watching the show and quite loudly said "yes, I do breed blue, but they cost quite a bit more than standards" - I'm sure everyone inside and within about 20 metres of the ring would have heard exactly as I did.

Unfortunately, dogs are not cars but living breathing creatures. While a rare car can be repaired and upgraded to a good standard if it is in a poor state, a dog is what it is and if it's a poor specimen it can't be fixed. It really surprises me that people simply take the word of the person trying to sell them a dog as gospel.

Sure, there are some colours and markings that I am partial to and have a preference for but to breed specifically for that one trait is simply asking for a whole range of issues to potentially come back and bite you in the future, and in any case it's totally against the ethics associated with purebred breeding - it's about breeding a specimen that meets the standard - if you are focussing only on colour in breeding, you simply can't claim that you are doing this.

Whats your view on this?

Thats my adore black brindles they are just the best (so i reccen :eek:). Thats what you want at the end of the type, temperament, structure and soundness, is it too had to ask for these days? haha