Retrieving & Field Training Talk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking at an LM and the litter that would be ideal is planned to be mated this time next year. Attached is a pic of the grandsire. :D I am doing a trip east next year to meet some breeders and dogs and to make my mind up for sure. :grouphug:

EFS

Oh I so love these dogs.... wanted OH to get one to shoot over and maybe show.... all our dogs are gundogs... Labs as utiiity dogs and my clumber gilr who is now in training...

I am looking at an LM and the litter that would be ideal is planned to be mated this time next year. Attached is a pic of the grandsire. :D I am doing a trip east next year to meet some breeders and dogs and to make my mind up for sure. :grouphug:

EFS

Oh I so love these dogs.... wanted OH to get one to shoot over and maybe show.... all our dogs are gundogs... Labs as utiiity dogs and my clumber gilr who is now in training...

It didn't end up happening for me ;) Love the breed but ended up being put off by the limited gene pool and size. I ended up with a Brittany :thumbsup:

Hey all - quick update whilst I'm charging my phone with the car running.

Went out on the first run but it was bloody hard - she marked the fall really well but, like many of the dogs, was put off by the very heavy reeds and weeds in the water. By the time she got through the water she had lost her bearings. She handled really well (when she could see me through the cover :laugh:) but just was the wrong side of the wind. Called her in and she came straight back. The judge was lovely and let us run the 2nd and 3rd marks later. The 2nd run was a land mark and I was really pleased with Em's effort and success on that one. Only 9 dogs from 20 got through to the 3rd run - a number of dogs running restricted also went out on the first run so I didn't feel too bad. The 3rd run was also tough for a first timer....water - land - water. She has never trained on that so was quite confused when she hit the land so the thrower helped her out. A big swim for a little dog.

I'm thrilled with her actually. She nailed everything we have been working on, heeling was good, steady as a rock, water entries were much more confident, handling not too bad and marked well. I am really relaxed and focussed on her and didn't fumble the gun. Typical Em, she has tried her heart out all day. A few nice comments about her work ethic and one or two people have fallen for her cute ways - she is getting away with murder :laugh: I've also spent a fair bit of time on the thrower - a bit warm today but great to watch the dogs work from that angle. I am officially hooked :D Time for a beer :drink: Thanks for all the good wishes :thanks:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Phew! What a big weekend - we were both exhausted last night!

Yesterday's first run was a better start for us with a land mark through heavy cover but landing in open ground. I was really pleased with Em - she marked the fall really well, was rock solid steady and took a nice line straight out (the lay of the land pulled a lot of dogs to the right). Then she saw the unfamiliar person on the thrower and just STOPPED and STARED - not unsurprising really as she only saw the thrower for the first time 2 weeks ago and is used to familiar people working on it. I had a feeling that she hadn't lost the plot so resisted the urge to open my mouth. I think the gallery were holding their collective breaths too as it was dead quiet :laugh:

In the end it was a fabulous learning curve as she recovered from the novelty of it all, quickly hunted up the game and bounded back through the heavy cover to deliver it beautifully :cheer: I get so excited by little wins like that and you just could not wipe the smile of my face :D Her work between the pegs was good too and she showed more self control than I expected.

When I saw the 2nd run I realised straight away that it would be too much for Em - a water retrieve with the mark landing behind heavy reeds. It was like putting a brick wall between her and the retrieve so I wasn't all that surprised when she got to the water and then messed around, looking completely confused. Wouldn't cast back so I called her in. I haven't done anything like that with her in training so it is something I will work on - it is a bit hard to train with reeds at the moment as they are way too snake friendly for my liking. However, I also realised that she has always been able to see the water mark clearly - it's great for motivation - but she needs to learn that it's still out there even if she can't see it. I opted not to do the 3rd run as there were several elements that I would have preferred to break down in training. Once it was run and won, I just threw some dummies for Em in the water - she learnt to tackle the reeds with a lot more confidence but I suspect she was pretty tired (not that you would know it!) so called it quits after not too long.

We had a really fun time camping and my set up adapted really well to running with no power. My drinks were still icy cold when I unpacked last night which was fabulous. Em is used to camping and I think that helped her relax. I got lots of good-natured ribbing about running a Springer - and a spoilt one at that.....sleeping in the tent and asleep on my camp chair. The judge from Saturday (who gave us a whistle as an encouragement award) drove past at 6.30am on Sunday morning as I was breaking camp and yelled out: "Get that bloody Springer out of bed" :rofl:

The first trial of the year in Victoria was great fun.

I was still debating with myself on Friday lunchtime whether or not I was well enough to attend the trial. Heat especially humidity causes fluid retention. Medication helps a little. Camping on site was not a sensible option.

Rang motel and there were vacancies, packed quickly and we were off. Funky my youngster in her first trial.

Great novice tests fair with wonderful sighted "marks".

Variety of competitors, imported UK working linelabradors, my other bitch (Pink) who lives with another, Funky, imported US field labradors, and of course dear Em with Spotted devil. More than half the field were experienced triallers with a young dog in their first trial.

Pink my girl: 1st

Funky her daughter 2nd Wooo hooo. She emptied her bowel big time in the second run. Bad dog!!

Sunday another great day, for Funky. Emptied her bowel, AGAIN, this time in the first run.

2nd again!!!

Funky's litter sister came second in all age, Sunday.

Good girls!!

NSW, thinking about competing in the Easter trial. Keen again!!!

Ok who can clue me on on the exercises to be done on RATG? I know it was heel, recall and then retrieve. How many retrieves and do they use a thrower or is the dummy just on the ground? I watched a demo but cant remember all the exercises

They can use birds as well dont forget, all done with a thrower and one may be a water retrieve.

Ok who can clue me on on the exercises to be done on RATG? I know it was heel, recall and then retrieve. How many retrieves and do they use a thrower or is the dummy just on the ground? I watched a demo but cant remember all the exercises

They can use birds as well dont forget, all done with a thrower and one may be a water retrieve.

If they use birds i will scratch as Mason had never had one and i dont love touching birds lol

Edited by Mason_Gibbs

what does "marks the fall of the game" mean???

(in the retrieving ability test).

Does a retriever need much training to do a RAT?

I am fairly sure my dog would bring a dummy back without any training as she brings back a ball, rope toy, tug toy, toys etc when thrown.

Of course if she'd do it during a trial environment is another story i guess!!!

She'd probably run off with a real bird though :o

IMO you still need to do a bit of training aussielover...

basic obedience and heelwork

familiarisation with retrieving an item sent from a thrower

familarisation with holding a dummy, and possibly a bird!

waiting until you send out your dog for the retrieve

returning the item to hand

the possiblity of retrieving from water

Each year I say I am going to buy new wellies and each year I continue to wear my Kmart cheapies laugh.gif

I am looking at buying a pair of Hunter's online but I am not sure if I should get the original tall Hunter's or a pair of Huntress that have slightly wider calf width and don't go up as high (or so I read!)

Does anyone have any first hand experience/advice about the two types? Would the shorter Huntress be ok for retrieving? Are they still tall enough if I need to wade through some pretty deep water (without the aid of the full leg length kit that I would also like to invest in at some point, but trying to save money!)

Thanks! :)