Retrieving & Field Training Talk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats RS!

We've also entered our first RATG, should be exciting seeing how we go, it's only a couple of weeks away so have a bit of training to do but should be good :D

I've only entered my girl as I know she will perform it best, I was contemplating entering Darcy as well but wanted to see how it's ran and what is required first. We have been to a training day and did a run through but it will be different in a trial.

Edited by tollersowned

:thumbsup: Fantastic results Lablover!! Looks like I'll be in town to steward at the Canberra trials, so see you there!!

Are you there??? ha ha. I'm not!

Funkie in season. Currently having progesterone testing performed. Possibly ready for TCI Monday, using one of my four imported US field collections.

Cross fingers for pregnancy.

BTW, if you did make it FHRP, Funkie's litter brother and sister are competing at Canberra trial. Is their half sister (Fern)entered?

RATG is over and we had a great time!

I managed to draw #1 and #2 in the running order, just my luck :rofl:

Millie ran first, and if that girl could learn some patience and not break with eagerness to retrieve, we would have done quite well :laugh: Very lovely retrieves - marked well, was straight there and back with no nonsense and gorgeous speed, and delivered to hand nicely. But yep, on the first retrieve, she broke and wouldn't listen to me to call her back :o She was tuned out to everything but picking that dummy up! I can work on that, so considering the rest was lovely, breaking is the least of my worries at the moment. Would rather her keen :)

Ruby was second, but they let us go third in the order because it was such a time waster switching dogs, not to mention put me under added pressure. Ruby's first retrieve was good, except on the way back she dropped the dummy to have a smell/eat of something on the ground. It must have been good because quite a few dogs that followed her did the same thing. I encouraged her to pick it up again and told her she was a good girl when she did and came back to deliver nicely. The second run there was a gully between us and the dummy which I thought would put her off. She got to it, went down and up the other side, and then she paused for a bit and I was thinking oh noooo in my head! But she carried on and sniffed it out and brought it back without dropping it on her way back this time! She did however pick an easier route to bring it back, she followed a pathway down the side that led straight to the flags. All I wanted to do what shout GOOD GIIIIIIRL!!!! when my dogs picked the dummies up!! It's so hard leaving them to it and not tell them how good they are. Ruby especially needs this confidence boost. I think when I enter the real thing, I will be giving her good girls anyway. She really needs it, bless her!

Anyway, the result in Novice was my Ruby Roo came 1st! :D Sadly the only qualifier in Novice. Such nice work from all the dogs, but small things put them all out (ie. a full break like Miss Moo, not bringing the dummy back after marking it very nicely and picking it straight up, and then there was this unknown distraction to the left of the flags in the second run that saw a lot of dogs go out because they either didn't see the mark due to being distracted, or ran in the direction of the distraction).

Well done to fetchindawgs who was the only qualifier in the Open stake with her goldie bitch! And thanks for the donation of the gorgeous leather lead for the novice prize!! :D

I thoroughly enjoyed the RATG, and can't wait for the next one!!

:cheer: Way to go RS & Ruby and Millie!

We had local Retrieving trials this weekend where I stewarded both days. Lovely weather on a great property that we've used for the past few years, but it's the last time we'll be able to use it as it's about to be completely built on, 1000's of new houses :( Rubyroo's Stinger did some lovely work and got all his birds and dogs bred by Lablover did some great stuff, I don't know the AA results today but I think one of them won Restricted?

The judge let me run Polo on the last run of Restricted yesterday after he had been pick up dog on the water retrieve. Seems he and Millie had the same thoughts :laugh: Polo seeing his first pigeon mark retrieve in months was just too much and he was about 15m before I got him back! Norty :laugh:

Yeah RS and Fetchingdawgs should be proud - they did an awesome job!

It was more challenging then I expected. I also was so proud of my friends Weim, it was his first competition other then a dog show and he just loved every minute of it (too much as he broke in the second reteieve). But both times he went straight out and straight back. :)

Can't wait to have a go with Zora next year!

Your friend's Weim was awesome! Bloody dogs who break ;) Hey, Millie :provoke::rofl:

It was more challenging than I thought, too. Thought it would be in shorter grass with higher visibility. Not that the grass was long or that it wasn't achievable, but for a test to test for ability, I just thought it would have been easier :laugh: But I loved it and the challenge was great. My biggest challenge is getting my dogs to heel better in that environment!

Your friend's Weim was awesome! Bloody dogs who break ;) Hey, Millie :provoke::rofl:

It was more challenging than I thought, too. Thought it would be in shorter grass with higher visibility. Not that the grass was long or that it wasn't achievable, but for a test to test for ability, I just thought it would have been easier :laugh: But I loved it and the challenge was great. My biggest challenge is getting my dogs to heel better in that environment!

Masons heeling was shocking but it always is so I expected nothing else lol

What were your entries like for the WA RATG? Was it well supported?

Mason_Gibbs sounds like Mason did a great job :thumbsup:

There were about 11 entries in novice, 7 or 8 ran and 3 in open

Nice! :D

:cheer: Way to go RS & Ruby and Millie!

We had local Retrieving trials this weekend where I stewarded both days. Lovely weather on a great property that we've used for the past few years, but it's the last time we'll be able to use it as it's about to be completely built on, 1000's of new houses :( Rubyroo's Stinger did some lovely work and got all his birds and dogs bred by Lablover did some great stuff, I don't know the AA results today but I think one of them won Restricted?

The judge let me run Polo on the last run of Restricted yesterday after he had been pick up dog on the water retrieve. Seems he and Millie had the same thoughts :laugh: Polo seeing his first pigeon mark retrieve in months was just too much and he was about 15m before I got him back! Norty :laugh:

Good on those who competed in the RATG!!! Congrats.

Adderslot Carbo did win All age as well as restricted. Woo hooo.

His litter sister Funkie (in my siggy) had my recently imported US semen implanted today.

Cross fingers for a successful pregnancy.

(Boring health news: My six month CT cancer scan: NORMAL No recurrence)

Life is good.