Retrieving & Field Training Talk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, RV, I wonder how good they are? I have been wanting to order a jacket off that website but never got round to it, maybe now I should :laugh: Though that website quite often decides not to load pages for me - drives me bonkers!!!! Are you interested in ordering anything from there? Maybe we could combine postage?

eek1.gif Ordered alerady?! What did you get? The launcher or something else? :D

I just read the reviews for it, think I might pass. Bummer as I am after a cost-effective solution. Would preferably prefer something remote-controlled as I train on my own! But I know with that comes big $$ embarrass.giflaugh.gif

Edited by RubyStar

I did the order as soon as I found it in case the sale ended. I more want it to get high up in the air then anything else :thumbsup:

The reviews said that the distance reported was ambitious and that you can throw further, so hopefully you get some height on it and it lasts thumbsup1.gif Let me know how it goes!

does anyone put any type of coat/body cover on their dogs to protect them from harder scrub? I know they are gundogs but last time Lulu went into rather heavy, hard scrub she ended up very scratched up underneath. If anyone does use something, can they make any recommendations please?

does anyone put any type of coat/body cover on their dogs to protect them from harder scrub? I know they are gundogs but last time Lulu went into rather heavy, hard scrub she ended up very scratched up underneath. If anyone does use something, can they make any recommendations please?

Hi ST have a look at this website:

http://www.tbicatalog.com/TBICatalog2/dog_vests.html

Their shipping is quite expensive, but it gives you an idea of what to search for on ebay or elsewhere?

ST I bought a protective vest from Cabela's for Rogan when his underneath was getting scratched and he had some reactions to grass. I have used it a few times, however I found that the vest was rubbing him and he got a couple of sores, so it's only suitable for short periods.

IMG_5480.jpg

IMG_5482.jpg

I don't know about the rules, but I did not get the vest to use in trials. I think you're quoting Retrieving rules and I'd be more likley to use it in the field than in retrieving if at all, but I suspect it wouldn't be allowed there either.

Edited by FHRP

I intermittently (actually rarely, as I dry off and/or have cold land blinds so the dogs can warm up a little) use vests in winter, while water training.

I use the rubber vests, which can be easily cut to size.

Have a story, when my husband went the US for a duck hunting trip, he arrived with Australian waders. The Americans took one look at him and added "sheet what is that you are wearing...Glad Wrap". They offered him proper waders...after all it was winter and snowing!!!! Husband was very grateful.

Edited by Lablover

I intermittently (actually rarely, as I dry off and/or have cold land blinds so the dogs can warm up a little) use vests in winter, while water training.

I use the rubber vests, which can be easily cut to size.

Have a story, when my husband went the US for a duck hunting trip, he arrived with Australian waders. The Americans took one look at him and added "sheet what is that you are wearing...Glad Wrap". They offered him proper waders...after all it was winter and snowing!!!! Husband was very grateful.

I have a neoprene vest too that actually gets very rare use. WA doesn't have too many really cold days, and that was why I bought it (for swimming the old girl). I think it was from Cabellas.

LL, the Yanks were probably saying under their breath "Those funny Aussies and what they wear" But I say, And what is wrong with our waders ????????????

[LL, the Yanks were probably saying under their breath "Those funny Aussies and what they wear" But I say, And what is wrong with our waders ????????????

Not suitable for conditions. Their waders were THICK!!. Hunted mainly out of hides, with heaters (heaters mainly for the dogs).

Long suffering and his Australian mate, were very impressed.

I'm looking forward to a nice blistery retrieving weekend so I can wear my nice new warm jacket thumbsup1.giflaugh.gif Picked up a Denali puffer jacket at Anaconda for $35.99, retails for $89.99, bargain thumbsup1.gif I can't justify spending $200+ on a jacket and there are so many nice ones out there :o

I also have my new wellies on their way from amazon.co.uk, hope they look as spiffy in person as they do on the website! (nope, couldn't go for "boring" black :D)

I'm looking forward to a nice blistery retrieving weekend so I can wear my nice new warm jacket thumbsup1.giflaugh.gif Picked up a Denali puffer jacket at Anaconda for $35.99, retails for $89.99, bargain thumbsup1.gif I can't justify spending $200+ on a jacket and there are so many nice ones out there :o

I also have my new wellies on their way from amazon.co.uk, hope they look as spiffy in person as they do on the website! (nope, couldn't go for "boring" black :D)

Lol enjoy... Im not a brave winter person i ger cold real quick, camping in winter will be unpleasant