What Method Do You Use & Find Most Effective?

Labkisses

We have never had one and I prefer to leave as much as possible to their mother, this is the way it should be - I believe in Suzanne Clothier's ' Selecting For Vigor' approach - I personally wouldn't revive a stillborn.

You can read the article on the link below if interested :

http://flyingdogpress.com/content/view/43/97/

Pretty much the same here too.

We scored eight from eight with the last litter and the bitch did all of the work. I checked them over for clefts and hare lips and gave her a hand to get them dry ( winter whelping, even with the lamps on I like to get them dry quickly ) She's worth her weight in gold.

I've watched a bitch pick up and drop a pup that appeared stillborn, she got that one started on her own and it thrived. It was a bit roiugh to watch but she knew what she was doing.

We have never had one and I prefer to leave as much as possible to their mother, this is the way it should be - I believe in Suzanne Clothier's ' Selecting For Vigor' approach - I personally wouldn't revive a stillborn.

You can read the article on the link below if interested :

http://flyingdogpress.com/content/view/43/97/

Pretty much the same here too.

We scored eight from eight with the last litter and the bitch did all of the work. I checked them over for clefts and hare lips and gave her a hand to get them dry ( winter whelping, even with the lamps on I like to get them dry quickly ) She's worth her weight in gold.

I've watched a bitch pick up and drop a pup that appeared stillborn, she got that one started on her own and it thrived. It was a bit roiugh to watch but she knew what she was doing.

Yes I've had this happen as well. It scared the hell out of me when it happened but she knew what she was doing better than I did. The pup was perfect after that :cry:

Hi Labkisses

I found gently squeezing the jaws to open their mouth so that they take their first breath successful.

Whelping is a mixed experienced, tinged with joy and sadness.

The best litter, in that respect, was the one that was all done, all finished, all said, while I was away.

One thing is certain though, it is always one of life's miracles.

Hello everyone

Thank you all for the responses, and please keep them coming :thumbsup:

Well our girl is deciding to not have her litter when due lol...bugger this waiting game is torture!

I called our Vet and they wouldn't prescribe Dopram V to us :D so we bought some Brandy instead and hopefully if needed, that will do the trick as well as all the other methods described - fingers crossed everything will be smooth sailing though!

Hello everyone

Thank you all for the responses, and please keep them coming :laugh:

Well our girl is deciding to not have her litter when due lol...bugger this waiting game is torture!

I called our Vet and they wouldn't prescribe Dopram V to us :laugh: so we bought some Brandy instead and hopefully if needed, that will do the trick as well as all the other methods described - fingers crossed everything will be smooth sailing though!

Good whelping vibes to you Labkisses, I hope your whelping is safe and uneventful, its very nerve racking leading up to a whelping just thinking of all the things that can go wrong, but I'm sure everything will be just fine :laugh:

Hello everyone

Thank you all for the responses, and please keep them coming :(

I called our Vet and they wouldn't prescribe Dopram V to us :rofl: so we bought some Brandy instead and hopefully if needed, that will do the trick as well as all the other methods described - fingers crossed everything will be smooth sailing though!

I got my Dopram V from one of the on-line chemists - do they not sell it like that in Oz?

I got my Dopram V from one of the on-line chemists - do they not sell it like that in Oz?

Nope, we can't buy it here.

ETA - Over the counter at a chemist etc.

Edited by SwaY