Show Grooming Products And Tips

pixie_meg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a spray bottle filled with "magic water" , it works a treat LOL and both myself and the dogs can drink it ringside if we get thirsty

:laugh: Love it.... I have heard numerous stories about peoples bottles of "magic water" being taken, and lo and behold its only just water... :rolleyes:

What about the CC White Creme Cover up ?????? IS that entirely different to chalk?????

DO you apply Chalk with a small damp spounge???

CAn you tell my last dog was black! :cry:

The cover up creme is a very thick creme - I use a touch on Howie's nose but its too thick for large area coverage over fine hair.

When I use block chalk I apply it directly to the dog (haven't used a pre-chalking creme to date) and then lightly brush it into the coat with a goats hair brush.

I way prefer the spray - quicker, good coverage and once dry, it stays put.

How do you go not getting the spray chalk where it shouldn't be???

I aim carefully and brush it out of any areas it shouldn't be before it dries. Howie has four white legs so my aim doesn't have to be very good. I don't use it anywhere else.

Have the dog on a towel for doing feets or you end up with little Whippet rock art paintings on your trolley top. :cry:

Thank you so much. All these questions I have been pondering have now been answered.

Lewis has four white legs as well so not to many dramas there, could use the block for higher up. Where do you get a goats hair brush?? Would the Plush Puppy soft hair brush be similar??

Do you go over the entire coat when finished with a shiney spray or something similar?? Or would a wipe over with a damp cloth to ensure their is no chalk on the top of the coat be sufficient.

You can see Lewis's nose in my sigi, would cover colour be good for his nose??

Edited by OSoSwift

Oso:

Lewis has four white legs as well so not to many dramas there, could use the block for higher up. Where do you get a goats hair brush?? Would the Plush Puppy soft hair brush be similar??

Do you go over the entire coat when finished with a shiney spray or something similar?? Or would a wipe over with a damp cloth to ensure their is no chalk on the top of the coat be sufficient.

I've never bothered to chalk chest or tummy but a block would do the trick.

I bought my little goats hair brush from a horse shop. It was sold as a 'face brush' for horses.

I use a little shiney stuff down the top line (Garnier Smoothing Serum would you believe!!) but that's it. Some folk use a sheepskin grooming mit (horse shop again) to finish the coat. I just use the goat hair brush.

This is the Garnier stuff I use (recommended by another Whippet exhibitor). I do my hair on show days with it too. :cry: Very small amount in the hands, rub hands together and smooth down topline. It dries without making the coat stick together.

Garnier-Fructis-Sleek-Shine_CD5D3CD1.jpg

You can see Lewis's nose in my sigi, would cover colour be good for his nose??

The CC Cover Up Creme used sparingly would cover that pink bit. Most folk just use chalk though.

Edited by poodlefan

Thank you PF a wealth of knowledge as per normal :cry:

My horse shop had a block of white dog chalk - very interesing as they were quite amused I had actually bought it for a dog!

I will have a look for the Garnier stuff. I normally wipe a small amount of PP Reviva coat over them and that has them nice and shiney and doesn't alter the coat at all. I did used to use a human hair shine spray for the Dobes that worked well as well.

I might stick with chalk for the nose. Poor Lewis I am going to attack him with a chalk block later today for a practice run - he will rather wonder what has gotten into me!

Thank you PF a wealth of knowledge as per normal :cry:

My horse shop had a block of white dog chalk - very interesing as they were quite amused I had actually bought it for a dog!

I will have a look for the Garnier stuff. I normally wipe a small amount of PP Reviva coat over them and that has them nice and shiney and doesn't alter the coat at all. I did used to use a human hair shine spray for the Dobes that worked well as well.

I might stick with chalk for the nose. Poor Lewis I am going to attack him with a chalk block later today for a practice run - he will rather wonder what has gotten into me!

Its the same brands usually - Safari or Champion.

Howie is my first show Whippet so I'm hardly an expert but I've picked up some good tips along the way. :cry:

Okay next question - size of grooming table.

What is an average good size for Whippets.

I have been wanting one for ages, but usually use the outdoor table, the motorbike trays or whatever is handy. Is the "terrier" size okay or is the standard better???

Okay next question - size of grooming table.

What is an average good size for Whippets.

I have been wanting one for ages, but usually use the outdoor table, the motorbike trays or whatever is handy. Is the "terrier" size okay or is the standard better???

I have a "terrier" for grooming the poodles. Howie only just fits on it and its higher than I'd like (for him). He tends to get groomed on the laundry bench or on his trolley at shows.

I'd go standard.

Edited by poodlefan

Interesting topic!

I have found all the shampoos can work on various breeds differently. My two ES have very different coats and very different whites... As showdog said, some dogs can gleam naturally white without a whitening shampoo. My young English Setter gleams white after a swim in the ocean (he isn't a show dog but he is kept in show clip and coat) but my older boy required the help of a whitening shampoo to help his coat look its best.

So, when I was showing my Tri colour boy, i used Champion Tails shampoo and conditioner after a long time of trial and error. I never chalked or powdered before we went in the ring, just a brush and go.

With the OES, I use Dazzle Dog shampoo, which is great for harder coats. It doesn't have that static that other shampoos can have when brushing the OES. Sard wonder soap does wonders (ha!) for the staining around his mouth (unavoidable in an OES). No conditioner is used.

pre-ring, we use Magic Water (I like that term RSG!). If their beard is quite damp, or their feet are damp, they get potato flour to dry it out as a quick fix before going in the ring - it's brushed out as much as possible before we enter the ring.

With the weimaraner, i use whatever i have! no conditioner... only prep for her before we enter the ring is the occasional rub of coat shine if it's a dull day or undercover.

Whats everyones thoughts on mud, dirt and a dogs coat. Its less than a week till our next show and it is very wet and muddy up here. Oberon seems to need his zoomies or some activity but the red mud sprays up under him. Should i wash it out every time it happens? use shampoo or just water or alternatively restrain him in the house for the next 4 days?

I have no idea really having Whippets. But rinsing it out before it dries, then shampooing with a good stain removing shampoo when required for shwoing etc would do the trick I would think???? We do only have sand through, no red mud :laugh:

I have seen and been told that if you wash and dry them then spray somethhing like the showshine people use on horses it helps as the spray has silicone in it and the dirt slides off. Not sure about if it would change coat texture etc but it seems to wash out of horses okay.

pm if you wash him often make sure you are adding a conditioner...

Also sometimes an oil can help protect the coat but it really does depend on the coat. I found it didn't help with a soft silky coat of a setter, but helps a lot with the harder coat of an OES.

PM I have two favourite shampoos for the 'Zoi, and use one or the other or sometimes use a blend of both depending on how dirty they are and what I have around on the day!!

Kohnke's Kleen Sheen (horse shampoo) diluted in water 1:10. This one is fantastic, for results and value. It is super gentle as it's designed for everyday use on racehorses, so doesn't strip the coat.

The other one I really like is Plush Puppy herbal whitening with ginseng. You need a slightly higher concentration though, about 3:10 with water. I'm going to try their Black Opal one for my young boy as he gets older.

I fill an old shampoo bottle with the dilute mix and squirt it all over before giving a gentle scrub (I don't have a hydrobath!).

Sard wonder soap in a bar to scrub any grass stained pasterns or elbows - but it's rare, the shampoos normally do the job. You need extra conditioner on the spot if you use it on a fringed elbow as it dries the coat more than the shampoo.

Conditioner, two types again, Champion Tails silver white (horse one again!), or the Plush Puppy silk one. I use conditioner diluted again, and brush it through the coat with a slicker brush before rinsing. I don't ever use a slicker on them dry, but it does a great job in a conditioner-soaked coat. I only use undiluted conditioner on heavy fringes, never on shorter body coat and toplines. Your boy shouldn't need it yet, wait 'till he's about three and he will!! :(

If it's windy dry weather I use some Aloveen leave in conditioner as well. This I put on when they're out of the bath, before drying, just rub it onto hands and lightly over the coat - stops the static fuzzies! A little bit of this is also handy in your water spray bottle at shows for a gentle mist and brush before going in. :(

Edited by Alyosha

PM I have two favourite shampoos for the 'Zoi, and use one or the other or sometimes use a blend of both depending on how dirty they are and what I have around on the day!!

Kohnke's Kleen Sheen (horse shampoo) diluted in water 1:10. This one is fantastic, for results and value. It is super gentle as it's designed for everyday use on racehorses, so doesn't strip the coat.

The other one I really like is Plush Puppy herbal whitening with ginseng. You need a slightly higher concentration though, about 3:10 with water. I'm going to try their Black Opal one for my young boy as he gets older.

I fill an old shampoo bottle with the dilute mix and squirt it all over before giving a gentle scrub (I don't have a hydrobath!).

Sard wonder soap in a bar to scrub any grass stained pasterns or elbows - but it's rare, the shampoos normally do the job. You need extra conditioner on the spot if you use it on a fringed elbow as it dries the coat more than the shampoo.

Conditioner, two types again, Champion Tails silver white (horse one again!), or the Plush Puppy silk one. I use conditioner diluted again, and brush it through the coat with a slicker brush before rinsing. I don't ever use a slicker on them dry, but it does a great job in a conditioner-soaked coat. I only use undiluted conditioner on heavy fringes, never on shorter body coat and toplines. Your boy shouldn't need it yet, wait 'till he's about three and he will!! :(

If it's windy dry weather I use some Aloveen leave in conditioner as well. This I put on when they're out of the bath, before drying, just rub it onto hands and lightly over the coat - stops the static fuzzies! A little bit of this is also handy in your water spray bottle at shows for a gentle mist and brush before going in. :(

Thanks Alyosha, good to see what you use.

I just looked at photos of the Havanese judging at Eukanuba. I have never seen whiter whites!! Only a handful of dogs had mouth staining. I would give my non-grooming arm to find out how they get rid of moosh staining!!!

I have often wondered the same thing with the OES!! Even 8 week old puppies have moosh stains... there would have to be some pretty intensive washing almost constantly, or some pretty serious chemicals doing the job!!

shaar it's really trial and error with each dog and coat type... when my ES's coat was in a pretty average state from pee stains and the breakage that came with it, i found Plush Puppy Coat reviver (i can't remember the actual name - i think it has Almond in it?!) worked pretty well - but not sure if that would help with breakage from scratching... I would consider more regular baths with a conditioner - but i guess it really does depend on the cause of the scratching?

What do you think is the best product to prevent hair breakage in between shows?

My little monster has scratched half his neck coat out.

I use Plush Puppy Seabreeze Oil after routine bathing, 1 tablespoon to 1/2 bucket of warm water and don't rinse it out. However that's not going to prevent hair breakage if the dog is scratching, you will have to discover the cause and treat it. Scratching is an absolute no-no if you want a good coat.