Raising Dogs In Apartments

B-Q

Like I said earlier ... In some of the dog circles I've found myself in, there are people who are turned off breeders because they have been offended by attitudes in the past.

As I said earlier - too bad, really. If they were offended by a breeder's response, it was probably for very good reason. It's not like breeders say 'RARRRRRR No you cant have one of my puppies because you dont live in Vaucluse'. They say no because they dont think their pup is suited to the prospective owner...for whatever reason.

Well I'm one of those elitist breeders with a closed mind who wouldn't sell one of my puppies to anyone living in an apartment, my puppies, my choice, I just don't think a puppy of my breed is suitable for apartment living. Neither would I sell to anyone without a fully fenced yard, once again my puppies, my choice. If either of those decisions sends a prospective puppy buyer dashing off into the consoling arms of a BYB or a puppy farmer then so be it, I don't approve of either, but it's their choice and no concern of mine.

:)

It is not different to the apartment verses yard argument.

My puppies will go where I think they have the best chance at a great life and being very well looked after.

I will never tire of hearing breeders say this. Sometimes it may not be the most conventional solution, which is the greatest one.

And that in turn is for the breeder to make the judgment call on NOT you.

Well I'm one of those elitist breeders with a closed mind who wouldn't sell one of my puppies to anyone living in an apartment, my puppies, my choice, I just don't think a puppy of my breed is suitable for apartment living. Neither would I sell to anyone without a fully fenced yard, once again my puppies, my choice. If either of those decisions sends a prospective puppy buyer dashing off into the consoling arms of a BYB or a puppy farmer then so be it, I don't approve of either, but it's their choice and no concern of mine.

Isnt it amazing. This is an entire forum full of people who have managed to buy from pedigree breeders. Only one person seems to think you guys are elitist bastards

I am not aware of how long ago you were in Uni and worked in an animal shelter.... it may have been in the sixties for all I know but I can tell you for sure that (just this year) our Rottweiler Rescue has had many pedigree dogs surrendered where circumstances have changed and the owner can no longer keep him or her for what ever reason (one surrendered this week in fact & breed by a breeder in SA) Thank god for microchipping so the breeders can be tracked and contacted before re-homeing.

I am not saying there are any dogs from appartments in there now but there certainly has been a few this year that I am aware of. Particularly dogs who have regularly barked and neighbouring appartment dwellers complain and then the dog owner has to get rid of it or face there marching orders to leave their home.

I am not here for a full on arguement Braithwaite or to waste my whole day tapping away on the key board to justify my own thoughts on this matter. I have said what I wanted to and this matter is now closed for me. You are entitled to your opinion too so lets agree to disagree on our thoughts.

Have a nice day :)

Maybe your experience with rottweilers is normal for that breed? I wouldn't have a rottweiler around my kids or desire to own one, so I guess in this example I have the closed mind.

I volunteered at the coomabah shelter from 2006-2008 while doing my degree. Being an rspca shelter and the gold coast dog pound all breeds were accepted. Given the gold coast has one of the largest apartment per population numbers in australia, the apartment dogs there certainly weren't exceptional.

You have a great day too.

A well loved and trained and settled staffy will sit around all day and sleep on the family couch and wait for you to get home

:):xmassantawave: Not in this house! I don't know where people get these couch potato Staffords from. Both mine have been very high energy and always on the go.

A well loved and trained and settled staffy will sit around all day and sleep on the family couch and wait for you to get home

:):xmassantawave: Not in this house! I don't know where people get these couch potato Staffords from. Both mine have been very high energy and always on the go.

Maybe try owning one at a time?

Urmmm...Clyde owns one

Isnt it amazing. This is an entire forum full of people who have managed to buy from pedigree breeders. Only one person seems to think you guys are elitist bastards

:):xmassantawave::xmassnowball::xmasrudolph::xmaswelcome::champagne::thumbsup:

Urmmm...Clyde owns one

Two staffy's are guaranteed to be wheels off. So's a staffy that hasn't been fixed until its about 3 years old.

I have no issues at all selling a whippet to an apartment home. As long as the dogs social, exercise, shelter and nutrition needs are well and truely met and the dog was part of the family then I'd be more than happy to allow one of my dogs to be in this situation.

I have!

Two staffy's are guaranteed to be wheels off. So's a staffy that hasn't been fixed until its about 3 years old.

Generalisation - much! Must go and tell my Stafford who was not desexed until he was 8 that he should have been half crazy and mad as a hatter.

Sorry but rubbish. He is and always has been a very laid back dog, it's just him.

Wether he was entire or not made not a scrap of difference. In fact my Whippets are more energetic than he has ever been.

Staffords like any other breed can have very energetic drivey dogs and rather laid back ones. RSG said HER Staffords would not be suited for apartment life, my old fella possible may have been, but he hated being left by himself and complained so maybe not unless someone was home all the time???

Like I said before I would chose the best home for my babies with the people I think they will have the best homes with. I did not say that that would mean no apartments - infact I think Whippets could be very good apartment dogs- I said it would be the best home I could find. My definition of best home and yours may differ - I don't really care about that to be honest.

And yes. it is about yard size. *Some* Breeders give a blanket no to someone in an apartment with only a courtyard or small yard.

it's the blanket no, and the reasoning behind which irritates me.

Did you not read all my posts in this thread?

Or do you just choose to ignore what I have said, dismiss it as rubbish, and keep harping on about how you feel?

This isn't an opinion, it is science. Bones need a certain amount of stress while they are growing to develop to their full strength and potential. If that irritates you, that is your own problem, and not the fault of dog breeders.

I've also read research from the U.S about growth plates maturation. not taking varying breeds into account, but only the one's I own, you shouldn't work a kelpie or a border hard in the first 18 months of their life. Recommended are collared walks in parks and on beaches. You know, the kind of things you can offer from an apartment.

So my argument is only strengthened by your need to 'harp on'.

well done, and thank you :)

To protect a pup's growth plates, the recommendation is that pups should get free exercise rather than being walked on lead.

This is exactly why large breed pups should be raised in homes with yards, and not be raised in apartments.

The dogs need to exercise and rest at their own natural intervals, and not be put in a sitauition where there joints get pounded by the repetitive nature of lead walking on a lead alongside a person.

Good on you for reading some research from the US, too bad you don't really understand what you have read.

Lead walking a giant breed pup instead of letting it free run for exercise is a sure way of it developing arthritis as an adult.

To protect a pup's growth plates, the recommendation is that pups should get free exercise rather than being walked on lead.

This is exactly why large breed pups should be raised in homes with yards, and not be raised in apartments.

The dogs need to exercise and rest at their own natural intervals, and not be put in a sitauition where there joints get pounded by the repetitive nature of lead walking on a lead alongside a person.

Good on you for reading some research from the US, too bad you don't really understand what you have read.

Lead walking a giant breed pup instead of letting it free run for exercise is a sure way of it developing arthritis as an adult.

Exhibit A.

The exact attitude that sucks from breeders. More holier than thou rubbish.

Go back and read my original post. It was working dog specific advice! I wouldn't bother reading any advice for large breed dogs because they interest me little and I'd never own one.

The research was completed in march of last year at the uni of wisconsin (or washington?) ... And it suggested that previous advice on working breeds is now outdated and should be replaced with: collared walking is to replace letting dogs run their own race. working breeds will overdo it and must be held back for longevity.

About 10 years ago in the U.S they banned agility for working dogs under 18 months for this reason, and in Australia they still in places allow any dog of any age to run.

You know what, I'd be really surprised if I responded to another post you type. I know all I need to about you :)

And yes. it is about yard size. *Some* Breeders give a blanket no to someone in an apartment with only a courtyard or small yard.

Or do you just choose to ignore what I have said, dismiss it as rubbish, and keep harping on about how you feel?

This isn't an opinion, it is science. Bones need a certain amount of stress while they are growing to develop to their full strength and potential. If that irritates you, that is your own problem, and not the fault of dog breeders.

I've also read research from the U.S about growth plates maturation. not taking varying breeds into account, but only the one's I own, you shouldn't work a kelpie or a border hard in the first 18 months of their life. Recommended are collared walks in parks and on beaches. You know, the kind of things you can offer from an apartment.

Do you have any studies on this? I would be interested to have a read :xmassantawave:

Do you have any studies on this? I would be interested to have a read :xmassantawave:

I'm looking online right now. It was an online journal/ pdf.

When I find it, I'll post it.

Exhibit A.

The exact attitude that sucks from breeders. More holier than thou rubbish.

Gretymate isnt a breeder. What on earth are you on about?

More insulting crap from you. You might want to read the forum rules before you continue

Edited by raz

since a forum board is fairly anonymous, why not ask it here?

Fair enough. I just cant answer your question because I dont know.

eta I probably can answer as a puppy buyer. What would I do if a breeder said I wasnt suitable for one of his/her pups?

Find another breeder

Make myself suitable

Realise the breeder was right and I wasnt suitable

Would i go to a byb or petshop with my knickers in a twist that the first breeder was being 'prejudiced'? Nup.

Ah, but that's YOU - someone who is fairly knowledgeable about dogs, not just your average Joe Public, who most likely would then think that breeders were all snobs & source from a petshop or BYB :)