Ears (going Up And Down)

When we first got Hoover at around 3 months, his ears were mostly down.

droopyears01.jpg

At about 4 months and a bit, his ears were like this - one up and one down.

droopyears02.jpg

One day later, his ears suddenly went up

droopyears03.jpg

droopyears04.jpg

His ears only stayed up for a short while - maybe a week or so. Then the right ear drooped again while the left ear stayed up

droopyears05.jpg

He was desexed on 10th December and after that both ears went down - which I understand can happen with Kelpie puppies when they're sick etc.

Since then, his right ear goes back up occasionally but the left (which has the two tattoos), seems to be staying down.

Do you think he's going to have permanently droopy ears? I'm not fussed if that's the case (no interest in taping his ears) - I was just curious. Also, could the desexing tattoo affect the 'droopiness' of his left ear?

Edited by koalathebear

My guess would be that the time his ears stayed up for a week or so conincided with his teething. Ears do odd things during that phase of puppyhood.

I wouldn't think that the tatoos would affect ear carriage, not unless they were somehow very rough in handling the ear when they did them.

When we first got Hoover at around 3 months, his ears were mostly down.

droopyears01.jpg

At about 4 months and a bit, his ears were like this - one up and one down.

droopyears02.jpg

One day later, his ears suddenly went up

droopyears03.jpg

droopyears04.jpg

His ears only stayed up for a short while - maybe a week or so. Then the right ear drooped again while the left ear stayed up

droopyears05.jpg

He was desexed on 10th December and after that both ears went down - which I understand can happen with Kelpie puppies when they're sick etc.

Since then, his right ear goes back up occasionally but the left (which has the two tattoos), seems to be staying down.

Do you think he's going to have permanently droopy ears? I'm not fussed if that's the case (no interest in taping his ears) - I was just curious. Also, could the desexing tattoo affect the 'droopiness' of his left ear?

Your Kelpies are simply GORGEOUS!

My girl is 14 months, and her ears still flop. I am told here by the good DOlers that there are Flop eared Kelpies! So she will look puppy-ish forever!

droopyears05.jpg

Could be something in your water. Both dogs' ears are the same, :laugh:

Either way, I think he looks cute.

Could be something in your water. Both dogs' ears are the same, :laugh:

:) This could be true! Many, many people laugh at their wonky ears - especially the fact that sometimes they're symmetrically wonky!!! I think Elbie's ears are permanent but Hoover's might still develop into Batman Ears :laugh:

12nov_15.jpg

crazyears.jpg

antlers01.jpg

Edited by koalathebear

• 2 weeks later...

OSoSwift: Hoover is 5 months old now (23 weeks) and his ears change on a daily basis :whee:

RallyVally: Puppy Toby was soooooooooooooooo squishable. I enjoyed the Progress of his Ears

Tiggy: Thank you! We love Hoover a lot - actually we love both of our doggies a lot. Are you taping Bear's ears? I have been enjoying his progress - especially the snoozing in the garden shot and the digging a hole photos. I thought Hoover liked digging but he hasn't buried himself yet!!! Yes, sometimes I lurk in the SBT thread because I love SBT puppies ..

Kavik: Elbie's ears frequently look demented and Hoover looks quizzical.

As to the status of his ears .... This morning when Hoover woke up, he had one ear up and one ear down. This is how he has been all afternoon - yup, he's showing off his ink ...

DSC05743.jpg

The left ear wilted after dinner but has been yo-yo'ing up and down all evening. :D Maybe his Permanent Batman Ears are coming soon.

ETA: Elbie has a permanently cold and wet nose. Hoover's nose is frequently dry but is never cracked or anything. Today I used a damp tissue to moisten it and then it seemed to stay damp for the rest of the day after that. Any ideas what causes dry nose in a dog? His nose has always been that red colour - I call him my little Red Nosed Pit Kelpie.

Edited by koalathebear

ETA: Elbie has a permanently cold and wet nose. Hoover's nose is frequently dry but is never cracked or anything. Today I used a damp tissue to moisten it and then it seemed to stay damp for the rest of the day after that. Any ideas what causes dry nose in a dog? His nose has always been that red colour - I call him my little Red Nosed Pit Kelpie.

Maybe he drinks less water than Elbie? Our Cavalier Nicky had a dry nose till he was about 8. He only had a small drink two or three times a day, then 4 month old Hope arrived. She tired him out a lot and was always playing in water. Nicky wanted to do what she was doing so he drank with her whenever she drank and his nose became cool and damp just like hers!

But I have heard that some dogs just have naturally drier noses than others.