Grey Imports And Paying Duty

becandcharch

So I emailed Teds to ask if they could price match DWI's Sigmas 70-200 (yes this saga is still going on :wave: )

I recieved this reponse

Hello Rebecca,

Unfortunately we can't match that price as that retailer 'Grey Imports' their cameras.

Our best price is $1749

If you'd like to go ahead with this offer please give us a call on 1800 186 895.

For more information on "Grey Import" stock, see here http://www.teds.com.au/ted-s-australian-wa...se/w1/i2318998/

Its $1416 on DWI. Does anyone know how much tax I would pay on top of this?

From what I've read DWI usually make 'mistakes' on their invoices on the package :eek: Then email you the rectified one later :wave:

Did you get my pm re Sigma warranties for grey imports?

C.R. Kennedy, the only authorised Sigma agent in Australia, will not cover warranty on Sigma products bought through www.camerasdirect.com.au

I assume other 'grey imports' as well. They did offer to price match DWI for me and with a 2 year Australian warranty.

On the phone to CR Kennedy and they are trying to tell me that they dont match DWI!!!

I said but you told my friend Crazy Cresties (just kidding) that you did! Grrr... Hes double checking

edited to add - Wow, what a lovely helpful man I spoke to! Anyhoo he directed me to where it says they dont deal with grey imports on their site. Fair enough, I understand. He has put me onto someone at JB Cameras here in Melbourne who is coming back to me with a price.

Whilst it sucks they cant do it I do understand that they are running a business

Edited by becandcharch

On the phone to CR Kennedy and they are trying to tell me that they dont match DWI!!!

I said but you told my friend Crazy Cresties (just kidding) that you did! Grrr... Hes double checking

edited to add - Wow, what a lovely helpful man I spoke to! Anyhoo he directed me to where it says they dont deal with grey imports on their site. Fair enough, I understand. He has put me onto someone at JB Cameras here in Melbourne who is coming back to me with a price.

lol, must have been the same lovely helpful man I spoke to :mad:) Yup I understand they have a business to run too and it must be very hard trying to compete with overseas retailers.

Good luck I hope you get what you want at a decent price :)

lol, must have been the same lovely helpful man I spoke to :mad:) Yup I understand they have a business to run too and it must be very hard trying to compete with overseas retailers.

Good luck I hope you get what you want at a decent price :mad

No I was being serious! (Did you think I was being sarcastic?) He was lovely. Spend ages on the phone with me. Gave me the number and name of the manager at JB to speak to as he said earlier they (CR) did get some and sell them to JB cheaper than usual.

He told me to say that he 'sent' me and for JB to give him a call if they needed.

God, goes that even make sense!? :)

you won't pay import duties on stuff from DWI, have bought in an 85 1.4G and the customs invoice was marked as $600, so not a cent to pay. I know there is no cover in Australia, but having bought almost all my gear from overseas due to the cheaper prices available, have never had any issues with any of them, (touch wood), coming from both DWI & BH. Given that the canon pro service is only available in Aus to 1d series, and not the 5d series as well (like it is in the US), I figured it didn't matter if I got them from overseas anyway. Given the price slugging that goes on here, would not hesitate to buy from overseas at all

you won't pay import duties on stuff from DWI, have bought in an 85 1.4G and the customs invoice was marked as $600, so not a cent to pay. I know there is no cover in Australia, but having bought almost all my gear from overseas due to the cheaper prices available, have never had any issues with any of them, (touch wood), coming from both DWI & BH. Given that the canon pro service is only available in Aus to 1d series, and not the 5d series as well (like it is in the US), I figured it didn't matter if I got them from overseas anyway. Given the price slugging that goes on here, would not hesitate to buy from overseas at all

Thanks for this Linda. They havent called me back so if I dont hear then DWI it is!

Often, with the price savings even if you aren't covered with a "grey" market item what you saved on the initial purchase will cover any service you may actually want done. :laugh: And your insurance would cover the rest.

Thanks for this Linda. They havent called me back so if I dont hear then DWI it is!

I may be wrong but I thought you started paying customs once you spend over $1000?

Apparently DWI put the amount on the package to say less than $1000 to avoid this. I have heard this from a few people now.

Thanks Kja

Dont do grey imports but have been looking at prices recently for a lens I need to buy in Jan or Feb. The lens I want is currently about $500 cheaper than it was a few weeks back and now including import & customs fees is currently more cost effective to buy from Teds or any other local seller (based on buying from B&H).