Help With An Escape Artist Dog

AmandaJ

Our friend recently took on a rescue dog which had previously been homed with his litter sister. Both dogs had been left alone and were very boisterous, and poorly treated, so when they were re-homed they were separated. Tux has taken to escaping on a regular basis. They have turned the back yard into "fort Knox" - extending the fenceline angled in at 45 degrees. The gate is now 7 foot high. Everything and anything close to something he can use to get higher has been removed. He can jump (from a standing start) onto the roof of the tool shed and leaps over the fence or he climbs the fence (including the extension part) - he is not a digger. He is taken on long walks every night. He has toys and bones in the yard. Does anyone have any suggestions to keep this boy in his yard? Oh and yes it's a beardie.....

Thanks everyone - I think all he has left is electric fences and contained dog runs. Bonnie - would you please send me the details on the dogsafe one - The boys can weld up a dog run at work in their spare time but if we can do this with the fencing I think Cully would be a lot happier.

Thanks again :laugh:

Thanks everyone - I think all he has left is electric fences and contained dog runs. Bonnie - would you please send me the details on the dogsafe one - The boys can weld up a dog run at work in their spare time but if we can do this with the fencing I think Cully would be a lot happier.

Thanks again :laugh:

about to head out for dinner, but will essage you about nine. :laugh:

:D

Just out of curiousity, why do they think the dog is escaping?

Because it can? Because it's lonely? because it has seperation anxiety? etc etc

Not sure - I have suggessted a behoviourist. Our girl beardie can jump very well too, and no doubt can clear our 1.5m fences if she chose to - the neighbours see her full body regularly above the fence line, but I've never seen anything like this one. He's coming here for a day next week so I can have a look at him. At a rough guess I'd say 'because he can". When he first arrived he "broke into" the house! He took off (without damaging) the fly screen on a window and opened the window to get in (didn't damage anything - just went to bed - on the bed) - the window was only open about an inch. You can literally see the "wheel turning" in this boys head when he wants to do something. He's a lovely boy and a very quick learner, Cully is loathed to re-home him (not that I think he can be re-homed - he'd do the same thing to any normal pet home) I'm wondering if this boy would be better suited to a working farm life.

Not sure - I have suggessted a behoviourist. Our girl beardie can jump very well too, and no doubt can clear our 1.5m fences if she chose to - the neighbours see her full body regularly above the fence line, but I've never seen anything like this one. He's coming here for a day next week so I can have a look at him. At a rough guess I'd say 'because he can". When he first arrived he "broke into" the house! He took off (without damaging) the fly screen on a window and opened the window to get in (didn't damage anything - just went to bed - on the bed) - the window was only open about an inch. You can literally see the "wheel turning" in this boys head when he wants to do something. He's a lovely boy and a very quick learner, Cully is loathed to re-home him (not that I think he can be re-homed - he'd do the same thing to any normal pet home) I'm wondering if this boy would be better suited to a working farm life.

Is the dog allowed inside? Have they considered putting in a dog door and giving him limited access inside?

A behaviourist would be a better investment than electric fencing for this boy but have they considered he's escaping for company? Where does he go when he gets out?

Edited by poodlefan

I agree with the others re a behaviourist and containment system with a pen as an additional option. I forked out $600 for a pen for my escape artist and tried to train him to like it i.e. gradual baby steps. Most of the time he hated being 'cooped up' and found several ways to escape. One lady in my suburb has come across him about seven times :thumbsup: and has always kindly kept him at her place until I've been able to dash back to pick him up. It took him over six months to stop kicking up a fuss and he will now stay quiet and put (until we get home!), but a containment system would give him access to the other dog, the yard and sunshine.

Best of luck, I know exactly what your sister is going through! I hope it works sooner than later. :laugh:

Edited by Ms Genki

Is the dog allowed inside? Have they considered putting in a dog door and giving him limited access inside?

A behaviourist would be a better investment than electric fencing for this boy but have they considered he's escaping for company? Where does he go when he gets out?

He's inside with Cully when he's home. I've given him the details of the behaviourist we use.

I'd say he's lonely, dogs escape for a reason. My neighbour's dog was lonely, she escaped to come and spend the day with my dogs, climbing 6ft fences and walking along the top to get down, come round the front and up over my fence.

She was never walked, never allowed in the house and is a working breed as is the Beardie.

I'd suggest two walks per day, Beardies are full of energy and life, right up till they drop.

I'd say the dog is bored and lonely, maybe it's a dog that cannot be on its own.