Lens Choice

redangel

Can someone explain to me of these 2 lens 50mm 1.4 and 105mm 2.8 What one can do what the other one cant? Trying to rationalise a purchase LOL to myself. Aside from the macro capabilities of the 105mm.

Hmm, they are totally different :laugh: You might need to read up a bit on lenses first.

They have a different maximum aperture (so the 50 will be better in low light) and most importantly, they are different focal ranges.

What do you want them for?

There's more compression with a 105 than a 50mm.

Eg, if you have someone far off in the background and someone in the foreground and you want them to appear closer to each other, the longer the lens is, the more compressed the foreground/background will appear.

I don't know if that makes sense, but I know what I mean. Lol.

I have a 50mm 1.8 and the 105mm 2.8. Like Tess said, they are completely different. Both good for portraits, the 50mm is faster and I find the 105mm much slower. The 105mm is lovely and sharp though. The 50mm is lovely and light, while the 105mm is a fair bit heavier. The 105mm is too big to use indoors for general stuff, the 50mm is much more suitable for that. So I guess it really comes down to what you want to use it for.

The 50mm will give you a wider field of view too, the 105mm will give you a narrower field of view but they will appear closer, must be that compression Ash is talking about. So just say you were trying to take pics of a couple of dogs you'd have to step further away from them to fit them in if you had the 105 on. That's what Huga meant by using the 50 indoors and the 105 being too big, you wouldn't have enough room to step back and fit everything in.

Where abouts are you in Melb and what brand camera do you have. If you're not far away I can let you try both, well, mine's a 100mm not 105.

Edited by Kirislin

Thanks...I will be using it for macro & portraiture. I understood about the compression factor but when it comes down to it I just wanted in laymans terms that I am not doubling up (ie versatility wise) as I am trying to get a range of lenses that give me good choices should I join the camera group next year.

Thanks for the offer Kirislin! Im not far from Knox. I have played with both (not side by side tho) and thus wanted a better understanding of them directly compared. Your answer and the ones before your post have helped me get this point of view. I cant get a 100mm macro...Nikon doesnt have one :thumbsup: so I am stuck with the decidedly more expensive 105mm. I have played with my friends Canon 100mm and well though I loved it...im team Nikon here so deeper into my pocket I go....

I'd suggest also consider the Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro. I bought one on the recommendation of a photographer I more than trust. Certainly agree with him now that I've been using it. For macro it means you can set yourself back a tad further from spiders/bees whatever. For portrait it might be a bit long in some (indoor) circumstances but is beautiful in general for dog portrait as well as people portrait. Nikon and Sony lenses are superb, but generally out of my price range, and "telling the difference" against the better third-party lenses takes more expertise than most of us claim. (I also have the prime Sigma 150mm macro - it's very useful but not quite so much as the 90mm).

Edited to correct lens. Tamron 90mm (not Sigma).

Edited by PossumCorner

Was blessed by the Christmas spirit...now have me a Nikkor 105mm Lens. :p Out of the box, started snapping everything....then calmed down and discovered I had the image stabilization off :love: Think ill have to invest in a wrist brace LOL. So all five shots I took yesterday were IS off but still happy with them for starters.

Ok, here are my test shots....all done by me in such excitement I forgot to switch on the IS LOL

sues-0419.jpg

The one bug that didnt bite me

sues-0417.jpg

The tiniest snail (cos I couldnt find any!)

sues-0422.jpg

Testing the bokeh

sues-0429.jpg

Tiny bug...where are the big bugs when you looking for em?????

sues-0431.jpg

Trying it as a portrait

Sorry for the flood..I promise not to repost pics for a while LOL Ah loving Christmas!