Help Needed With Two Young Pups

BMAK

HI everyone, at the moment i am looking after/fostering two young 4-5 week approx cattle pups probably until their ready for a new adoptive home.

Both female pups will cry constantly (got them yesterday after being separated from rest of litter :p ) unless eating or sleepng trouble is they haven't relaxed i will cuddle them sometimes in hope they might settle against my body but don't stop moving around towards my face and crying, and when playing one is bigger and quite ruff so they are a bit of 24/7 supervision needed poor things really need their mum and my girl does understand the whole mothering thing.

I never got my own two dogs that early and while they have little or no bladder control or understanding at this early stage i'm a bit unsure in the pattern of how many meals per day and what exactly they should be eating and toilet sessions they sould have???

i have put a hot water bottle in there pen so they stay warm and they usually go for the normal breaks after waking up and after eating and any where inbetween when i see them running aroud sniffing.

For those who have had litters what should i expect and for those with cattle dogs any signs or behavours i should watch out for when they grow or any critical stages i should know about?

*edited for some spelling

Edited by catherine.b

At 4 or 5 weeks a well raised pup would probably be OK with 4 meals a day. If these mites have come from bad circumstances then 5 or 6 small meals may well be best for a week or so. I would keep it very simple at first - whether that be raw or commercial - only small amounts of the same thing for a day or two.

Constant crying, yup - not unusual in pups which are unsettled and confused. Carry them around calmly and quietly, allow them to snuggle as much as they want. The movement towards the face might be some attempt at appeasement if they are uncertain about people, in which case it will ease with a few days of gentle handling, or it might be a begging gesture - will they eat if you are holding them?

Thanks, haven't tried to feed them while holding might try that today, should that aim to quiet them and associate me with good things?.

while they are in the pen, one (bigger girl) crys more and the (smaller) other one less and will go nap, but when i take them out to the small paved area out the back closed off from the other dogs the bigger one(bigger) goes and explores and stops crying and the little one just wants to be on my lap constantly whimpering while i sit with them. so the environment deffinately says something poor pup just want their mum.

ok four small meals they are on di- vetelact every morning and night as of yesterday night and this morning as they try to suckle my fingers as im still not sure on there age.

Would>> solids ..raw meat finely chopped with some steamed veggies or they get some softened kibble salmon based with fish added be ok during the day x2 then milk moring at night ?

Also when they eat i feed them together but the biger one is a bit of a hog and i feel the little one needs more, but not sure if i should be interupting them ?

Probably lots more experienced than me but no way I would be just giving milk.

For young pups try 5 feeds a day and reduce as they can tolerate down to 3-4 once they are over 8 weeks.

I use lactose free UHT milk because it's easier than making formula and some pups prefer the taste, but either way you need to add solids. I use fresh beef mince to start then move on to soaked or rehydratable puppy biscuits for the nutrients. Best to warm it before feeding them. Other solids for pups would include cooked chicken or cooked mashed veg. Get them on a feeding schedule, that should help them settle.

eta, just me but I would usually only give one milk only meal per day, expecially rescue bubs

Edited by bonny_beagle

no, not just milk :p they got some chopped beef last night then milk before bed they settled in and went to sleep all night until 6:30 when i got up.

i have two tins already of the powder that i make up so i don't want to spend anymore $ we use hot/warm water to add to the powder so that seem to make them drink it. When they get to the kibble it would be soaked for them as mine got that when they wee pups. maybe even a weetbix heard that doesn't hurt :love:

thanks again.

A schedual sounds good i will right one up so i will stick to it.

ill scrap the weet bix then, we don't get minced chicken carcass around here or even the carcass's unless i drive a fair way which i don't have time for so mince will have to do while they are in care with me.

thanks anyway

ill scrap the weet bix then, we don't get minced chicken carcass around here or even the carcass's unless i drive a fair way which i don't have time for so mince will have to do while they are in care with me.

thanks anyway

Mince without the bone is not balanced in terms of the calcium/phosphorus.

You are better off leaving it out for the time being and when they have their teeth, feed meat on the bone in the form of chicken necks and whicken wings

Get them some quality brand puppy kibble and soften with warm water, feed 4 x day. they should have constant access to fresh water. As there is no mum around, you could give a small milk drink in the evening.

I would feed them separatly if you feel the big one is eating more then their share.

In their pen you should have a bed and a separate toilet and play area. Have some toys in there for them to chew on to help puppy teeth come through - I also tie a few toys to the sides of the pen, to give them something to tug on and exxplore. You can swop the toys around for variety.

Hot water bottle, radio etc to keep them comfortable and you can start to get them used to household noises/sights/smells

They have everything them need in terms of health requirements atm and bedding its just food that was the problem but that is all figured out thank you ;) still not sure how old they are a bit clueless trying to google pictures and weights of breeds so they seem around 5-6 weeks if google pics are anything to go by :) .

They are growing quick! still crying when put into the back area while they are getting use to being seporated from one another a few times a day. While also trying to get them a bit more indepenant with myself and other people but are into the exploring stage we have a paved area away from the bigger dogs they run around chew plants and responding to me and following me around and learning sit. So thanks for your help they are doing fine and are slowing being introduce to one of my dogs.