Puppy Playpens/runs

Labkisses

Hi guys

I'm just about to buy a puppy playpen/run from ebay but can't decide which would be a better size for a litter of Labrador puppies. There is a 30" and a 36" high one, I'm leaning towards getting the 30" but am afraid it might be too small. They are 1.2 mtrs square so I'm going to purchase 2 and join them together.

Anyone have a pen with similar size pups? The pups would only be out there for short periods of time during the day. It's mainly going to be used to confine them to the back yard so they don't go wandering too far and to also keep them away from the big doggies at times.

Thanks in advance!

A friend with a litter of labs has my pens atm and they are 30" high, so they should be fine.

How big is the litter? Just thinking that 2 sets of pens maynot give enough floor space for a large litter to do any playtime while inside

A friend with a litter of labs has my pens atm and they are 30" high, so they should be fine.

How big is the litter? Just thinking that 2 sets of pens maynot give enough floor space for a large litter to do any playtime while inside

There are 7 puppies in the litter. So the whole area would be 2.4m x 2.4m. Do you think that would be too small?

I bought two packets of the wire compost bins from Bunnings (around $24.00 for four panels). Worked out much cheaper than buying a puppy pen.

I had a look at one of our bunnings store here, but couldnt' find the wire compost bins :) How long ago did you buy yours? That definetely would be a much cheaper method! :eek: If I could only get my hands on some.

The compost bins are excellent as you can put them together length ways when the pups are small and then turn them to their full height for when the pups get bigger.

I would also buy some cable ties much better than the one's provided and use dog clips for the doorway.

At the minimum; I would be wanting to double that space.

Triple it if you plan to have anything in there like kiddie tents and tunnels etc.

But the height it fine IMO.

There are 7 puppies in the litter. So the whole area would be 2.4m x 2.4m. Do you think that would be too small?

I do - they would be playing in poo :)

Depends on the age of the puppies. At three weeks it is probably big enough but by 6-7 week they will need a lot more area then that. I usually fence off nearly half my suburban yard for a litter to play in.

Well I visited Bunnings and they had the wire compost bins! Omg they were way cheaper than the pens on Ebay and I tripled the size for less money! I was so excited! We set it up in the afternoon and used cable ties as suggested - thank goodness we bought them because those stupid curly wire things were a pain in the bum! We took the little ones outside and all they did was cry lol so back into the nice air con they went :confused:

Thanks for suggesting those Shelby and Oakway! You saved me a heap of money!! :thumbsup:

I do - they would be playing in poo ;)

The bigger play area the better - make sure you cover some of it with a tarp so they can get out of the sun.

Well I visited Bunnings and they had the wire compost bins! Omg they were way cheaper than the pens on Ebay and I tripled the size for less money! I was so excited! We set it up in the afternoon and used cable ties as suggested - thank goodness we bought them because those stupid curly wire things were a pain in the bum! We took the little ones outside and all they did was cry lol so back into the nice air con they went :)

Thanks for suggesting those Shelby and Oakway! You saved me a heap of money!! :)

Photo please for your new area - would love to see what you have made/

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on the phone to my local Bunnings store, first person had no idea :( next said no they had none in stock but were on order so I placed an order for 3, 10 minutes later a phone call saying that they had heaps they are (only 45 minutes away :thumbsup: ) and sent my OH off to buy 3 of them. I hope that will be enough ?

My puppy run area is to big for 4 week olds so I thought that these might be better for the fist few times outside.

I bought two packets of the wire compost bins from Bunnings (around $24.00 for four panels). Worked out much cheaper than buying a puppy pen.

Ive done the same, they are fab and you just use cable ties or clips to keep them together - Indoors they can be used to partition off sections of the room to contain pups or join as many together as you want for outside to create a yard.

Much cheaper than buying the puppy pen.

I loovvee my Bunnings puppy runs/wire compost bins lol! Although it hasn't had much use outside because its been raining quite a bit, we use it inside to partition off the rooms when cleaning out their whelping room etc. So handy!! :thumbsup: