Endurance Test 2011 Thread

Brought a springer yesterday to start training Wolf up (yes I know I can't use it in the test, just wanted to get him used to running next to the bike safely :laugh:

Can't wait until it arrives :bolt: Now to find a cheap bike computer that does distance and speed etc..

Where did you get the Springer from and let me know when you find the cheap comptuer thingy. :laugh:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey i didnt notice a age limit or minimum for dogs competing in the endurance test ? is there one ?? and it there any limitation in breed?

There is a minimum age (2) and a maximum age (8).

A link to the ANKC website with a PDF of the rules is here

TC001, hasten slowly with your young Lab and a bike - I'd not be doing any sort of distance for quite a while yet. His bones are still growing.

Hey i didnt notice a age limit or minimum for dogs competing in the endurance test ? is there one ?? and it there any limitation in breed?

TC001, hasten slowly with your young Lab and a bike - I'd not be doing any sort of distance for quite a while yet. His bones are still growing.

Second that advice. Strenuous exercise in a puppy can be quite harmful. Gentle excercise only up to 12 months. Introduction of extended exercise 12-18 months, 18 months + they can work all day.

If you give your puppy too much exercise you run the risk of strains, sprains, exhaustion, and in severe cases, dysplasia. Please take it easy.

That would be one reason for the 2 year minimum age level for the ET.

M

ETA: Does anyone know when/where the ET is held in Brisbane??

Have some details for you about Ipswich ET. It will be held at 6.00am on July 31 at the Ipswich Dog Club

Contact Anne Clarkson 07 5426 8774.

M

Thanks heaps for info :laugh:

Brought a springer yesterday to start training Wolf up (yes I know I can't use it in the test, just wanted to get him used to running next to the bike safely :laugh:

Can't wait until it arrives :bolt: Now to find a cheap bike computer that does distance and speed etc..

Where did you get the Springer from and let me know when you find the cheap comptuer thingy. :laugh:

Cheaper isn't always better. You get what you pay for. I recommend a visit to your bike shop. Explain what you want and what you need it for. A good bike shop will give you what you need without upselling you to the Rolls Royce model!

I am a serious roadie (Carbon framed road bike rider), and I have a "Cat Eye Velo 8" computer. It cost $49.00 and does everything I need it to do. Speed, Distance, Calories burned, Time, Clock, Average speed, Speedometre.

M

ETA: Does anyone know when/where the ET is held in Brisbane??

Have some details for you about Ipswich ET. It will be held at 6.00am on July 31 at the Ipswich Dog Club

Contact Anne Clarkson 07 5426 8774.

M

Thanks heaps for info :laugh:

No problem. I spoke to Anne today. Tell her I gave you her number.

M

One more point ... for those contemplating the ET, all dogs (purebred and crossbred) can compete but they must be ANKC registered.

Crossbred dogs can be registered as Associates but they must be desexed.

Got an ET on my Miniature Poodle Darcy a few years back. :laugh:

Lucky Toby is registered due to his (failed) agility career! :laugh:

Can anyone answer this - I want to bike Toby in a non restrictive tracking harness, but I also want to try tracking ths year... can I usre the same harness or will that confuse him and should I buy a new harness for biking? :laugh:

Lucky Toby is registered due to his (failed) agility career! :thumbsup:

Can anyone answer this - I want to bike Toby in a non restrictive tracking harness, but I also want to try tracking ths year... can I usre the same harness or will that confuse him and should I buy a new harness for biking? :D

The rules allow you to use a harness, so it should be fine for both purposes. Do have a lead and collar as a back up plan just in case the judge does not allow that type of harness.

However, with tracking the dog should pull ahead to search for it's target. In an ET, constant pulling ahead will get you disqualified. The dog should work freely alongside you without pulling or lagging.

I would get a different harness so the dog learns the difference of what is expected, or get the dog used to lead and fixed collar.

M

Second that advice. Strenuous exercise in a puppy can be quite harmful. Gentle excercise only up to 12 months. Introduction of extended exercise 12-18 months, 18 months + they can work all day.

If you give your puppy too much exercise you run the risk of strains, sprains, exhaustion, and in severe cases, dysplasia. Please take it easy.

M

thanks for the advice. We do gentle walks ie 2km in 35mins. Is 2 walks a day too much for a puppy?

M

thanks for the advice. We do gentle walks ie 2km in 35mins. Is 2 walks a day too much for a puppy?

How old is the puppy and what surfaces? There is absolutely no way that I would take a lab pup 4km on a bike per day, the repeated percussion on hard surfaces would be awful for thier joints, especially a large breed, still growing and prone to hip/elbow problems.

M

How old is the puppy and what surfaces? There is absolutely no way that I would take a lab pup 4km on a bike per day, the repeated percussion on hard surfaces would be awful for thier joints, especially a large breed, still growing and prone to hip/elbow problems.

6mths Lab. I walk on the footpath, he walks on the grass verge more than 50% of the time.

Guest CaptainCourageous
VIC:

11 June 2011 - Dalmatian Club (held in Keysborough in 2010. ?same for 2011)

25 June 2011 - GSD Club (Cherry Lake Reserve, Altona)

2 July 2011 - East Gippsland Dog Obedience Club (Lake Guthridge)

Are these Victorian ETs still happening?

16/04/11 WERRIBEE OBEDIENCE DOG CLUB

28/05/11 HUNGARIAN VIZSLA CLUB

05/06/11 MURRAY VALLEY OBEDIENCE DOG CLUB

btw Cherry Lake for me!

CC

Guest CaptainCourageous
I had read somewhere that there was some dispute in Victoria about whether or not dogs could be on lead when you are on a bike. Apparently there is some law saying that a dog must not be tethered to a moving vehicle and a bike counts as a moving vehicle. I'm not sure about any of it as all this is 2nd or 3rd hand information but would be interested if anyone does know anything.
It's illegal on the road.
To get the ET title do you only have to do the test once?

One pass required.

And if you do get the title can you continue to compete purely for fun?

When I did my last one the bitch was entered in one the week later. We passed, so we didn't go to the next one. I was advised it (the second one) could be done but it's smarter to not do it.

What would be the proportion of dogs in the trial that are successful and those that get eliminated at the test points etc? And those that do get eliminated what sort of cause is it usually (not adequate training? mishaps on the day?)?

I know basic sort of questions but I haven't been able to find this sort of information elsewhere and you guys seem to know lots and lots!!!

Don't really know, but guess 1 every 2 or 3 trials.

I heard damaged pads stopped a Dal.

When I failed with my old dog (I've passed with 2 bitches), there were various factors - his bond with my wife who was at the test station, having the first part move at 12 km/hr instead of 10, etc. He decided he'd prefer to lag at 500 m, and we were gonged at 11.5 km.

CC

VIC:

btw Cherry Lake for me!

CC

Thanks, I'll add them to the list.

VIC:

btw Cherry Lake for me!

CC

See you there... now just need to get over my bike phobia- I managed to dislocate my knee on one a few years back and haven't ridden since. Glad there's one so close to home- can practise on the course!