Endurance Test 2011 Thread

Getting a bicycle serviced is so foreign to me... :confused: My girls have never ridden next to a bike, I think I'd have a lot of work to do!

And lycra look, no thanks :rofl: I think I'd scare the other competitors away!

ETA: No underwear?! ummmmm, don't think I could get used to this one :sick: And now I'll be looking at everyone wondering if they're wearing underwear or not :shhh:

I haven't ridden a bike in a very long time :welcome: I will need to go and buy one as I want to do the ET with Banjo this year :thumbsup:

We should all try and get to the same trial :mad Any maybe meet up for a couple of cycle sessions to get the dogs used to other bikes around :(

WA Endurance Tests are on the 18th June and 3&4th September :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Getting a bicycle serviced is so foreign to me... :confused: My girls have never ridden next to a bike, I think I'd have a lot of work to do!

And lycra look, no thanks :rofl: I think I'd scare the other competitors away!

ETA: No underwear?! ummmmm, don't think I could get used to this one :sick: And now I'll be looking at everyone wondering if they're wearing underwear or not :shhh:

I haven't ridden a bike in a very long time :welcome: I will need to go and buy one as I want to do the ET with Banjo this year :thumbsup:

We should all try and get to the same trial :( Any maybe meet up for a couple of cycle sessions to get the dogs used to other bikes around :)

WA Endurance Tests are on the 18th June and 3&4th September :eek:

Keen to catch up..... as long as you're wearing underwear!!!!!!!! :mad

VIC:

11 June 2011 - Dalmatian Club (held in Keysborough in 2010. ?same for 2011)

25 June 2011 - GSD Club (Cherry Lake Reserve, Altona)

2 July 2011 - East Gippsland Dog Obedience Club (Lake Guthridge)

Are these Victorian ETs still happening?

16/04/11 WERRIBEE OBEDIENCE DOG CLUB

28/05/11 HUNGARIAN VIZSLA CLUB

05/06/11 MURRAY VALLEY OBEDIENCE DOG CLUB

btw Cherry Lake for me!

CC

I don't believe Werribbee is holding one.

HVCV is at KCC Park

Murray valley is on.

Unsure of exact dates.

Cherry lake is the venue used by the German Shepherd Club. It is a great course.

M

Yay my Springer came today! :confused: Big thumbs up to Pets Providore- I only oredered it 2 days ago and it's already here! :thumbsup:

Taking Wolf for his first run this afternoon :welcome: Nice cool weather here for once- just hope it doesnt start raiing again like it was this morning!

Yay my Springer came today! :o Big thumbs up to Pets Providore- I only oredered it 2 days ago and it's already here! :rofl:

Taking Wolf for his first run this afternoon :( Nice cool weather here for once- just hope it doesnt start raiing again like it was this morning!

Take it slow at first. it will be a bit of getting used to for both of you.

Good luck.

M

Take it slow at first. it will be a bit of getting used to for both of you.

Good luck.

M

:o I will, I'm sure he won't want to though :rofl: He will probably think it's sledding- I think this will take abit of retraining.

It says to use a harness with the springer, but I think I'm just going to use a collar, otherwise he will definately think he is sledding!

Here is the start of my training for ET - we had a behaviourist session last year about his bike fear but we have been having a clicker session at least once a day this week of positive counter-conditioning.

He went without prompting and touched the bike with his nose a little bit ago:

5326815254_3d8f118b95.jpg

Here is the start of my training for ET - we had a behaviourist session last year about his bike fear but we have been having a clicker session at least once a day this week of positive counter-conditioning.

He went without prompting and touched the bike with his nose a little bit ago:

5326815254_3d8f118b95.jpg

That's a great start. Maybe try walking him together with the bike so he gets used to it before having to run alongside you riding it.

M

Just a quick question - the rules state a 2m leash is needed but I have yet to find one, does anyone know where I can buy one? Or alterately can I use a 1.8m leash?

I used a 1.5m lead and it was fine. I'd say a 1.8m would be fine.

Just a quick question - the rules state a 2m leash is needed but I have yet to find one, does anyone know where I can buy one? Or alterately can I use a 1.8m leash?

Don't worry answered my own question! Thats an old version of the rules! Would a 6' or 4' leash be fine then?

Don't worry answered my own question! Thats an old version of the rules! Would a 6' or 4' leash be fine then?

I wouldn't go any shorter than 1.5m, so with those two options, I'd go the 6' lead. When I used it with Jedi, it allowed him a little bit of leeway in terms of where he could run in relation to the bike, but he could never go in front or behind it. And as the rules state, long enough to be held in either hand. I guess it all depends on the height of the dog, though.

Edited by TerraNik

I dug my bike out of the shed yesterday to try walking the girls next to it in the backyard, went quite well for their first experience next to a bike! I thought Millie would be petrified, but she coped. Ruby seemed enthused. So now I just gotta get the tyres pumped up and teach them to "heel" next to the bike!

For 6' or 2 metre leads, contact your local GSD Club in your state, most GSD state clubs have leather show leads this length.

My family all use these leads when taking our dogs out with the bike, for some reason they don't seem to get caught in the spokes as easily as other leads.

Let me know if you have trouble obtaining leads as the GSDL marketing manager has them and will post.

Leather Leads

John Nolan or phone 02 46308543 or 0488039858 to order.

Edited by freundhund

Guest CaptainCourageous

My light cloth 2 metre lead has a chew mark, so I'm wanting to replace it. It has a light small turnbuckle. I rate these aspects as important when ETing with small dogs.

It's a long time since I trained for an ET, and my motorcycle skills helped with the bicycle. One part of lead use was to have "Emergency Slack" ready, so if the dog stopped suddenly it wouldn't get a 10 km/hr tug.

CC