Endurance Test 2011 Thread

About 12 years ago when I did the ET with a friend's GSD, there was a black pug. The pug ran with his handler who jogged the entire distance. (Show off :laugh: )

Apparently the pug jogged every day with its handler, the handler apparently ran marathons, and took the pug out with him every morning.

IMHO the pug was the fittest dog there, in fact it was the one at the end jumping up at dad saying lets go again. :eek: :D ;)

Today went well only did a short ride, mainly concentrating on getting the Diva to work slowly alongside the bike. At the moment she wants to go at a million miles an hour. :( And I am now working on her control.

NOTE forgot to put gel seat with its lovely gel cover on the new bike. Now to put gel seat with its gel cover on bike, need all the padding I can get.

Also is there anyone available to teach me how to use gears!!! New bike has lovely gears, I just have no idea how to use them :D

Hi freundhund,

You should have gear levers on both sides of the handlebars. The gear that moves the chain on the big chain ring should remain on the smaller (inner) part of the cog on the chain ring. There really is no need to move it to the the bigger one. You will find that a lot easier for pedalling. The gear that moves the small cogs at the rear of the bike (on the rear wheel) are the ones that you will use more regularly. Use a mid range gear (3 or 4) for general level riding. Smaller gears for uphills (1 and 2), and for control on downhill, use 5 and 6.

Play around a little to see which gear's tension you are most happy with.

Oh! and it might be a good idea to put the gel seat on before the next ride. :(

Good luck!

M

With the gears, select a middle range gear

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:laugh: Hi

Anyone from WA doing the ET?

There is only one held in the state now as far as I can figure out and I was wondering if anyone can tell me where it is held and what the area is like - photos would be great.

I have done an ET before but that was in Kalgoorlie

YEP......ME! (and Dominic) this year, then ME and Dexter next year!!

Looks like I am out for 2011 :( The biking was bringing up some soreness in the Kelpie, so we can go max 2km's twice a week, maybe at the rate his physio vet approves of it will be ET 2013 :)

Oh no :) Poor Toby, he just can't catch a break!

I have a spare Lab looking for a handler if one is available? :):cheer:

Well I jogged/rowed/cycled a total of 8kms at the gym last night and it was only my first session! So I may be fit enough by the time it comes around!

Great job RallyValley, I was able to fit in 2days x 4km (fast walking only through) with new baby, pram and ET candidate at foot...still a long way to go, but once up and about you'll be surprised how easily you will steal the time somewhere in the day :laugh:

I am aiming to but have some mechanical issue with said bike at the moment!! Hope to get those fixed and back into it ;)

I thought I may have been the only with bike issues, we were given a mountain bike the other day, was told it worked fine, I found it had numorouse probs, :laugh: thought I had fixed everything to find had a bent back axle, got that replaced now I have the Wobbles :D (not happy Jan), have to pull the back end apart again. well can say not scared of looking like a grease monkey, my guys keep looking at me wonting to go for a run with the bike they love it

Hi Murve

See earlier in thIS thread. I brought a cross country/mountain bike in Aldi which is working brilliantly for me. Total cost of bike was $79.99. 21 gears

If you have an Aldi near you, I would recommed one of their bikes if you only want to E.T.

For those interested human undercarriage :D isn't hurting as much on Aldi bike as it has suspension on both ends, plus have put my gel seat on the Aldi bike with a Gel cover and the padded (elegant :D ) bike shorts on and I am finding it not as painful.

For those needing the really good laugh, I had a wonderful older gentleman, in his racing lycra ;) Tell me that as I lost weight and learnt to stand up on the peddles, I would find it easier to ride as well. According to him numb bum ;) was caused by sitting on the saddle all the time. :D :):eek: I got the weight loss hint!!!!! :laugh:

Hi Murve

See earlier in thIS thread. I brought a cross country/mountain bike in Aldi which is working brilliantly for me. Total cost of bike was $79.99. 21 gears

If you have an Aldi near you, I would recommed one of their bikes if you only want to E.T.

For those interested human undercarriage :D isn't hurting as much on Aldi bike as it has suspension on both ends, plus have put my gel seat on the Aldi bike with a Gel cover and the padded (elegant ;) ) bike shorts on and I am finding it not as painful.

For those needing the really good laugh, I had a wonderful older gentleman, in his racing lycra :eek: Tell me that as I lost weight and learnt to stand up on the peddles, I would find it easier to ride as well. According to him numb bum ;) was caused by sitting on the saddle all the time. :D :):eek: I got the weight loss hint!!!!! :laugh:

yes we do have an Aldi in town will check them out tomorrow thank you, my daughter wants to start riding together :D

We started our training on Thursday night with a jog to see how fit my younger dog is (who will hopefully be doing the ET next year - unless she is having babies) She handled it way better than either me or my OH thought, she pulled on her lead and wanted more even after 45 minutes.

So we took both Aussies for a 5km bike ride yesterday afternoon. I think they easily could have gone further than that but im so unfit I was panting and puffing by the time we got home.

Hi Dotty_17301

A woman after my own heart, being out of condition (read unfit and overweight, :laugh: at the understatement) This is why I am starting to train now.

I promise that I am not training the Diva for the E.T. I am training me. I need to be able to pedal 20 kilometres on grass and other terrain!! I am working on getting up to 25 k's on the bike path and then will gradually start to bike on the grass. I tried biking on the grass and it was really hard, that was when I knew that I wouldn't be able to bike the distance without training me. But it was the kick in the backside :laugh: to get me motivated to loose weight.

Good luck with doing the E.t.

Just watching a video of an ET trial over east somewhere, do they really only have a gap of around a metre between each bike???

If one of the dogs stops for a pee there would be a huge pile up!!!

When we did ours we had a good 4 or more metres between each dog/handler, admittedly there were only 5 dogs but having them that close is ridiculous.

And they did recalls on lead and ran backwards, we just did them to the end of our leads?? I would prefer to do an obedience off lead recall if that is the case. Hmmm wish the club closer too me was still running them at least I would know what to expect!

I am training on our farm track which is sand/gravel (compelete with the odd corrigation and pot hot to be missed!) but will ride around the house area so I get fitter with grass.

Only thing is my house is at the top of the hill so when I am going home I always have to go up a reasonably sharp hill!! - All good for the fitness I guess! :hug:

I am training on our farm track which is sand/gravel (compelete with the odd corrigation and pot hot to be missed!) but will ride around the house area so I get fitter with grass.

Only thing is my house is at the top of the hill so when I am going home I always have to go up a reasonably sharp hill!! - All good for the fitness I guess! ;)

Your lucky, give me sand/gravel the odd corrigation and pot hole, where I live we dont really have bike tracks & the ones we do have we have to share with ppl & dogs (most off leash) :rofl:, over at our local footy ground there is grass, gravel & bitchamin plus lights :o when footy training is on

Just watching a video of an ET trial over east somewhere, do they really only have a gap of around a metre between each bike???

If one of the dogs stops for a pee there would be a huge pile up!!!

When we did ours we had a good 4 or more metres between each dog/handler, admittedly there were only 5 dogs but having them that close is ridiculous.

And they did recalls on lead and ran backwards, we just did them to the end of our leads?? I would prefer to do an obedience off lead recall if that is the case. Hmmm wish the club closer too me was still running them at least I would know what to expect!

Hi Ososwift,

As an ET judge, it is easier to keep an eye on the entrants (up to 20) if they are closer together. Given the speed they are riding at, it is not too hard to do or control. I instruct my class to pull over to the left if they need to stop and then pass on the right to get back into position when they can. Whilst I do not insist on keeping too close to the entrant in front, I prefer not to have too much distance between entrants so that the whole group is split.

Recalls can be done however the entrant is happy. On or off lead, to the end of the lead, or running backwards. My only stipulation is that the recall prior to the test must be conducted exactly the same at the end eg. if first recall is off lead, the second recall must be likewise.

M

Footy oval sounds good ;)

Don't worry I appreciate how lucky I am to have a great area to exercise dogs and not worry about others people off-lead dogs annoying me.

Do see the odd roo, fox and snake though :rofl:

Oh give me wildlife anyday to ignarent ppl. I have started to get Orlando into a steady pace all's well till an off leash darling dog comes along with ***** owners :o who do not put their dogs back onleash. In our shire here we are not alowed to walk offleash dogs

It really doesn't feel very far at the time, mostly because it's so broken up and you're concentrating on keeping the right pace and making sure you're dog is ok.

Yes they can wear a harness.

"The dog must wear a fixed collar or suitable harness. No neck chains, slip collars, spiked collars, muzzles or head control collars shall be permitted"

I have a silly question Terranik, "Can Wippets wear a Martingale Collar"??????

thank you in advance

It really doesn't feel very far at the time, mostly because it's so broken up and you're concentrating on keeping the right pace and making sure you're dog is ok.

Yes they can wear a harness.

"The dog must wear a fixed collar or suitable harness. No neck chains, slip collars, spiked collars, muzzles or head control collars shall be permitted"

I have a silly question Terranik, "Can Wippets wear a Martingale Collar"??????

thank you in advance

There aren't any exceptions listed in the rules, so I would imagine the answer is no.

Hi murve

I have a GSD who I am training to run on a flat leather collar, I started off with her wearing 2 collars so that I could have the control, as she is very reactive to other dogs, not negatively but she wants to play and I don't want to get dragged off the bike.

I am working with Diva, that when another dog is coming towards us, she pays attention to me for treats. The first few times I got of the bike and treated her. Next I stood astride the dog and treated her until she was comfortable with that, then treated her while riding slowly passed other dogs.

BUT I still don't have her ignoring dogs that rush up off leash or run alongside fence lines!! We are wokring on this.