Endurance Test 2011 Thread

Hi!

No, I've been slack (and have just sent of my DogsQLD membership) so have been waiting til I get my number. A map would be awesome! I'm only about 20mins from Ipswich... I think DogsQLD said I should have my number by the end of the week so I'll give them a call tomorrow, then Ann maybe on Monday!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do need to get a bike pump, and find a decent track around Brissie I can use that's not super busy to start with... I'm not 100% comfortable riding on the roads with the dogs yet just in case. Plus - is it legal?

No, riding on the road with your dog is illegal.

Okay, well this week, I have had to get back on the bike. (This is the hardest park, I find the bike riding just so scarey) I can't swim Diva for 10 days.

I thought I would list my excuses for not training for the last month properly and see if anyone has any better ones. :cheer::laugh::)

Okay, excuse number one. Husband diagnosed with lung cancer, at the end of January, running him back and forth for all the tests and then having him in hospital made the last few weeks of training a little bit disrupted. NOTE husband is a non-smoker, we have never smoked and his parents were non-smokers.

Excuse number two from Wednesday of this week, I could claim that I have stitches in my leg (true x3) because I have been doing lots of swimming to make up for not bike riding. But because I can't swim for the next 10 days until the stitches are out, I am trying to bike.

Positive notes, I have learnt how to pump up the bike tyres without husband doing it or without sons to do this. My dad did the tyre pumping up when I was at school <can't find a blushing smilie when I need one>

Negative note, the Diva got attacked while we were trying to practise this morning by a white fluffy oodle!!!!!!!!!!!! Nooooooooooooooo

Also still looking for a biking partner in the Sydney Metro area.

I do need to get a bike pump, and find a decent track around Brissie I can use that's not super busy to start with... I'm not 100% comfortable riding on the roads with the dogs yet just in case. Plus - is it legal?

No, riding on the road with your dog is illegal.

We rode past our local police station the other day and one of the officers were outside, l asked him if it was OK to train on the roads around town and he said yeah just remember your helmet next time. Ahhh small country towns.

Don't know why l didn't think of using one of his snoods but l still need to work on him moving at a safer distance from the bike.

Edited by Sir Sniffalot

OH my goodness Freundhund - you didn't have to go that far to find excuses - and yes - you definitely win.

Sorry to hear about the husband - that's very worrying for you. All good wishes to you both.

Aaaargh aboiut the SWF - why do people think it's OK for them to just do what they like - they're still dogs for goodness sake - still need to be under effective control.

:) about the pumping up tyres. Who knew you would add another skill to your "can do" list. :(

Okay, well this week, I have had to get back on the bike. (This is the hardest park, I find the bike riding just so scarey) I can't swim Diva for 10 days.

I thought I would list my excuses for not training for the last month properly and see if anyone has any better ones. :hug::laugh::o

Okay, excuse number one. Husband diagnosed with lung cancer, at the end of January, running him back and forth for all the tests and then having him in hospital made the last few weeks of training a little bit disrupted. NOTE husband is a non-smoker, we have never smoked and his parents were non-smokers.

Excuse number two from Wednesday of this week, I could claim that I have stitches in my leg (true x3) because I have been doing lots of swimming to make up for not bike riding. But because I can't swim for the next 10 days until the stitches are out, I am trying to bike.

Positive notes, I have learnt how to pump up the bike tyres without husband doing it or without sons to do this. My dad did the tyre pumping up when I was at school <can't find a blushing smilie when I need one>

Negative note, the Diva got attacked while we were trying to practise this morning by a white fluffy oodle!!!!!!!!!!!! Nooooooooooooooo

Also still looking for a biking partner in the Sydney Metro area.

Hi,

I am so sorry to hear the news of your husband. Hope that his prognosis is good. Mental attitude means a lot in these circumstances too.

My mother has just finished her chemo for her FOURTH bout of cancer. She is determined. You and your husband need to be too.

Stay strong.

M

Am feeling very brave today. I actually got on and rode the bike that I had my bad accident on. It has been sitting in the garden shed since the accident. OH before he went into hospital put new brakes and gave it a service.

The Diva and I did the bike track between Tempe towards Earlwood?Canterbury alongside the Cooks River. If you live around this area and are planning to train for the ET this is a great ride. No dogs leaping out and attacking us, and not many other people using the path at all.

Also if anyone is looking for someone to ride with, I would love to meet up.

Abbiestar can you tell me why I am getting cramping in my right hand? Any suggestions as to what I can do? It is only when riding the bike.

Abbiestar can you tell me why I am getting cramping in my right hand? Any suggestions as to what I can do? It is only when riding the bike.

Yes. Take that "death grip" off the brake handle! :laugh:))

Seriously, try some padded cycling gloves, and don't grip too hard.

M

Am feeling very brave today. I actually got on and rode the bike that I had my bad accident on. It has been sitting in the garden shed since the accident. OH before he went into hospital put new brakes and gave it a service.

The Diva and I did the bike track between Tempe towards Earlwood?Canterbury alongside the Cooks River. If you live around this area and are planning to train for the ET this is a great ride. No dogs leaping out and attacking us, and not many other people using the path at all.

Also if anyone is looking for someone to ride with, I would love to meet up.

I have done this ride!!

Unfortunately I am not able to ride for a while (ankle reconstruction), and my ET prospects is pathetic- Safire doesnt believe in hard work and Demi has put on at least 2kg since my surgery, even though I put her on a preventative diet a few weeks ago :laugh::o

Perhaps in a couple of months we could do some training

Michael the cramping apparently won't go. Went to Doctor's had hand and wrist X-rayed the damage to the wrist from when I had the bad bike accident, the bones have knitted but there is still damage. (Can't believe it has been about 6 years. Doctor said if I loose weight it might help the wrist as I was putting a lot of weight on the wrist!!!!

I did ask the doctor if he was saying I was fat. :cry::) :D Well lets be honest I am not doing the ET for the dog, I am doing it to make me exercise more and loose weight.......

Today I rode the bike 10 kilometres, the Diva wasn't impressed when I turned around and headed home. When we got back to the car, I couldn't move, she of course was ready to go again.

Now how long before the bottom, isn't red anymore, how long before I can sit down comfortably, and how long before I don't feel like an old lady???? Please Michael I need to know. :(

Michael the cramping apparently won't go. Went to Doctor's had hand and wrist X-rayed the damage to the wrist from when I had the bad bike accident, the bones have knitted but there is still damage. (Can't believe it has been about 6 years. Doctor said if I loose weight it might help the wrist as I was putting a lot of weight on the wrist!!!!

I did ask the doctor if he was saying I was fat. :thumbsup::) :D Well lets be honest I am not doing the ET for the dog, I am doing it to make me exercise more and loose weight.......

Today I rode the bike 10 kilometres, the Diva wasn't impressed when I turned around and headed home. When we got back to the car, I couldn't move, she of course was ready to go again.

Now how long before the bottom, isn't red anymore, how long before I can sit down comfortably, and how long before I don't feel like an old lady???? Please Michael I need to know. :rofl:

Hi, sorry was unaware of your accident.

OK, before going for the next ride, make sure you do your stretches! And, when you finish, do them again, and again. You are sore because the muscles seize. By stretching, you are avoiding this happening.

As for your back side, it is important that your seat is positioned correctly. Your bike shop can do this for you. A correctly positioned seat will alleviate any unnecessary aches and pains. You may also want to consider getting a gel seat seat cover ( a gel padded seat cover that fits over your existing seat). This will give you added comfort and padding whilst riding.

Alternatively, a new saddle will also do this, but they are very pricey. I do a lot of ks on my road bike and like you was very sore and bruised after riding. A new saddle fixed all of these problems.

As for the redness and discomfort, it will take a few days. By next weekend you will feel no pain and will be eager to get out on the road again :rofl: .

M

Abbiestar

You do realise I haven't even started on the how much extra food should I give Diva questions?

But the new stupid question is what sort of stretches??? I have never been told to do stretches before riding a bike! I really need to know as I want to get fit enough to ride the distance. It is very obvious that the Diva is fit enough but I am really going to struggle if I don't have my act in gear.

Thanks for all the help so far, I really appreciate it as it is helping to keep me on track. I know the test is in August but that only 4 months away.

Cheers

Abbiestar

You do realise I haven't even started on the how much extra food should I give Diva questions?

But the new stupid question is what sort of stretches??? I have never been told to do stretches before riding a bike! I really need to know as I want to get fit enough to ride the distance. It is very obvious that the Diva is fit enough but I am really going to struggle if I don't have my act in gear.

Thanks for all the help so far, I really appreciate it as it is helping to keep me on track. I know the test is in August but that only 4 months away.

Cheers

Hi freundhund,

You are welcome. Happy to share.

Stretches are important before and after excercise.

Try this one as a starter.

Quad Stretch

Stand on your left leg.

Bend your right leg backwards at the knee.

Grab your right ankle with your right hand.

Pull up on your right ankle until you feel a comfortable stretch.

Hold for 15 seconds.

Repeat with the other leg.

Another is to stand with your feet next to each other, right foot on the left side, left foot on the right.

Bend to touch your toes. You will feel the stretch.

These will help stop your muscles from seizing. Also means you won't be sore for days after the event! :thumbsup:

M

Anyone, looking for a cheap bike to train and use for the Endurance Test!!!!!! OH just brought me an Aldi's Lady's Mountain lightbike on Sale for $79.99!!!! ;) :eek::eek: Marked down from about $99.99 last week. They have had the bikes in store for a couple of weeks, not sure what the original price was but happy it has come down. :(:thumbsup: :D

This bike has 21 gears. Great for someone who hadn't learn't to master the 18 on the old bike :cry: The bike is very light. OH put it together, Aldi recommends having it put together by a qualified bike mechanic. (This would have cost about double the cost of the bike, eldest son got his bike serviced a month ago and it cost him $175.00) OH is very mechanically minded and I trust him, he has said once I have ridden the bike for a few days, we might get the bike service.

The front wheel has a lever so that it comes of and I can put the bike on the back seat of the car. Also the bike has suspension at both ends, so apparently I will not have such a bruise and sore bottom.

Will ride the bike properly next week and let everyone know how I go. Only one problem is the colour its white( not my colour) :) ;) :p But I am not really complaining.

:( Hi

Anyone from WA doing the ET?

There is only one held in the state now as far as I can figure out and I was wondering if anyone can tell me where it is held and what the area is like - photos would be great.

I have done an ET before but that was in Kalgoorlie

Anyone, looking for a cheap bike to train and use for the Endurance Test!!!!!! OH just brought me an Aldi's Lady's Mountain lightbike on Sale for $79.99!!!! ;) :eek::eek: Marked down from about $99.99 last week. They have had the bikes in store for a couple of weeks, not sure what the original price was but happy it has come down. :(:thumbsup: :D

This bike has 21 gears. Great for someone who hadn't learn't to master the 18 on the old bike :cry: The bike is very light. OH put it together, Aldi recommends having it put together by a qualified bike mechanic. (This would have cost about double the cost of the bike, eldest son got his bike serviced a month ago and it cost him $175.00) OH is very mechanically minded and I trust him, he has said once I have ridden the bike for a few days, we might get the bike service.

The front wheel has a lever so that it comes of and I can put the bike on the back seat of the car. Also the bike has suspension at both ends, so apparently I will not have such a bruise and sore bottom.

Will ride the bike properly next week and let everyone know how I go. Only one problem is the colour its white( not my colour) :) ;) :p But I am not really complaining.

Good for you!

Hope you get good use of the new bike and best of luck with the training and the ET.

M

:( Hi

There is only one held in the state now as far as I can figure out and I was wondering if anyone can tell me where it is held and what the area is like - photos would be great.

I think it is run by the German Shepherd Club of WA. May be best to check with that club for details.

M

:wave: Hi

I think it is run by the German Shepherd Club of WA. May be best to check with that club for details.

M

DogsWest states the GSDA is holding one on the 18th June, not sure where though but the K9 news will print it closer to the date. Yep would be nice to know in advance where so we can train there :laugh:

And there's another one on September 3/4 but is this second one reserved for just GSD's? It says Endurance Test (Vims/Montemelia). :confused:

Edited by RubyStar

DogsWest states the GSDA is holding one on the 18th June, not sure where though but the K9 news will print it closer to the date. Yep would be nice to know in advance where so we can train there :laugh:

And there's another one on September 3/4 but is this second one reserved for just GSD's? It says Endurance Test (Vims/Montemelia). :confused:

Generally the host club although breed specific, opens the entries up to all breeds (pure and mixed). Helps to boost entry numbers.

M