Why Dont People Wear Hats Whilst Showing

DLB

A number of reasons- it may blow off, may flop into your eyes, you would need an array of hats to match the various outfits, they impede on your eye contact with the judge etc. These are reasons why I am reluctant to wear one in the ring.

On that note, many people here do wear hats in the ring without issue and some look very nice in them too.

I have never worn one in the ring but I did get a nice one for Christmas so I might one day lol.

because it doesn't look good & honestly not required for the short time in the ring .

Some do get classy small peak hats made to suit there outfits & they give some shade & a good view of the judges signals with some eye contact .

Many that do wear hats do so as its there signature "look"

I rarely wear sunglasses either unless the sun is so bad & it is setting right in the wrong place.

Also consider hats can be a hassle when running & be prepared that some dogs will freak

I hope you do wear your christmas hat! :rofl:

I think that skin cancer out weighs the other factors. Maybe its because I have lily white skin! LMAO

Mine fits fine and doesnt blow off but it does depend on style and fit.

In the Qld climate I think its crazy not to wear one. I hope this post gets the people thinking about it!!!

I hope you do wear your christmas hat! :rofl:

I think that skin cancer out weighs the other factors. Maybe its because I have lily white skin! LMAO

Mine fits fine and doesnt blow off but it does depend on style and fit.

In the Qld climate I think its crazy not to wear one. I hope this post gets the people thinking about it!!!

Its an old topic but the reality is your in the ring for such a short time frame that wearing a hat isn't going to make alot of difference & most of us wear good sunscreen & then have good shade facilities to sit in once out of the ring

Often i am the only one of my breed so at max may be in the ring for 2 mins if lucky .

I have seen some wear hats & have also seen these people spend more time trying to hold the hat down or re adjust that in the small time frame you have to show your dog all you remember is the hat fiddling especially when its windy

Well there is sunscreen. :rofl: And lots of it.

It's why women don't wear billowy skirts, you show in all weather including extreme wind. Hats are amongst the first things to go and can hit dogs. Depending on the hat, running in one can be problematic.

Some people wear hats well, some of us don't. :D On hot days I'm looking to get my dog out of the sun as much as possible, so your time out in direct sun can be limited. Plan well you can keep your pale skin and show without a hat.

When I write or steward in summer I always have a hat, because if I'm stewarding I can be out in the sun for hours with very little shade.

Yep, it's judges and stewards who need to wear the hats!!!

Yes I agree - but most of the judges dont. Oh well - their choice.

I will still wear my hat, its well fitted and doesnt come off in any weather.

Thanks everyone for the replies though.

I will take my hat off briefly if I'm just going in for class, but I will almost always wear a hat for group. I'm a red head. I burn in seconds. Wearing sunscreen is how I justify going in for class, but standing around for group in the sun is not going to wear for me.

I will also wear long sleeves in summer for the same reason.

Yep, it's judges and stewards who need to wear the hats!!!

Yes I agree - but most of the judges dont. Oh well - their choice.

I will still wear my hat, its well fitted and doesnt come off in any weather.

Thanks everyone for the replies though.

many judges don't wear hats as it can freak many dogs .

Mine don't care but i have seen dogs freak by judges who wear hats totally inappropriate for judging.

Sunscreen works wonders

The very small visors are hardly noticeable especially colour co ordinated

I am really surprised that dogs will freak at people with hats on. They are show dogs and should be used to all the stuff that goes on at shows and in general really.

interesting.

Babies aren't used to "all the stuff that goes on" and a hat may be intimidating, same as large floppy jackets.

I won't wear a hat because I can't find one that fits my head and doesn't look completely daggy! Sunscreen for the few minutes I'm in the ring. But each to their own. I'd rather put extra sunscreen on than risk a hat getting in my face/eyes or flying off at the wrong moment.

quote name='Bilbo Baggins' date='30th Dec 2010 - 05:01 PM' post='5050754']

Missymoo wears a hat. :laugh: :laugh:

post-3968-1293698778.jpg yup I have a gazillion in different colours to match my suits..i got burnt on Monday as I didnt wear one...they are out in force from now on! lol

Missymoo love the pic. Your hat looks awesome!!!

Totally agree - each to their own.

To me wearing a hat is better then getting sunburnt on top of your head (can't put sunscreen on your scalp unless you are bald!!!)

Thanks everyone - Happy New Year :laugh: