Dogs Reactions To Fireworks

Janba

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of my dogs don't worry too much while others do tend to worry a bit........but last night the worriers were scared sh%#@less ...literally.... and the ones who never take notice...were slightly worried last night.........and they had right to be !

We , UNFORTUNATELY, live in a major tourist destination and over the past week tens of thousands of people have been pouring into the area.......with the greater majority being young guys (some hoons) along with their twitty girlfriends. Usually its mostly families holidaying but this year it seems not.

Anyway.......all the holiday houses around here are FULL ...and last night , a fire ban night, several places were letting of all sorts of fireworks including flares. The worst coming from two doors from us . Whatever they had sounded like they were letting bombs off and the rockets were the biggest and loudest sounding ones they could get.

People IMO are so selfish, so self absorbed, they have no thought for others around them...nor do they ever think of the terror they cause to dogs, cats, stock or wildlife. Last nights fireworks around us were so bad.......I am still thinking of dobbing the whole lot into the police. I believe there is a $500,000 fine for illegal fireworks...........and idiots like those of last night deserve to be hit with that type of fine IMO.

We had a multifeast in our area earlier in 2010 where the pup broke his "puppy pen" trying to get out - I believed he was distressed due to the kids screaming (rides) but since there was also fireworks I wasn't absolutely 100% certain.

Last night the crackers/fireworks started around our place at about 9pm and then again at 11:45pm ... and he snored his way through them. :shrug:

We are away on holidays for NYE :) but our 18 month old lab is being minded by a very good doggie minder (been away less than 24 hours, miss him terribly already!). He has never seen/heard fireworks before but not bothered at all by storms etc. The doggie-sitter was just going to put him in his kitchen as we discussed/agreed before we left.

I noticed that two people posting in here with labs mentioned they don't react - I doubt fear of this type of stuff would be a breed thing but you never know ?? Maybe it's just that labs like sleeping so much that CBF taking any notice of the fireworks. :laugh:

Hey Mrs T Archie saw them at our place last year! We were all playing games outside when they were going off and neither of them could have cared less, they were way to interested in playing to even notice them :shrug:

We had people across the road letting them off last night really loud ones. It was really hot here so we had doors and windows open, Scout didn't care at all.

It was the people leaving and coming to the party that she gave a few warning barks at.

I'm glad she isn't fazed by them it makes me feel happy that if we ever have someone let them off at a party during the year and we are not home that she will cope OK.

Joss was 100% unfazed by the fireworks! Neighbours let some off a couple of doors down, and she couldn't be bothered getting up :o She's never made a peep during thunderstorms either. Very relaxed dog.

Edited by anna

I can see and hear the Sydney fireworks from my house...

Charlie is pretty much bomb proof. He doesn't react to many things.

Emmy, to my surprise, did really really well. At first she was curious, but got bored of that quickly and went to the backyard to do zoomies with our house guest (a very sweet and happy Tibbie who wasn't phased about the fireworks either) who was staying with us for the night. She slept through the midnight fireworks too.