Oh Crap..

Skitch

So my parents naughty little maltese terrier X was just involved with an altercation out the front of our house with two other dogs and the couple walking them.

Here's what happened..

She (the dog) was out in the backyard and I opened the backdoor to let her into the house. I didn't realize my STUPID younger sister had left the house and left the front door wide open. Needless to say, the dog darted up the hallway and straight out the door :shrug:. I saw it all happen but couldn't get to her fast enough.. I reached the door just in time to see her racing up the driveway towards this couple and their onlead dogs! Their dogs were only small also (one looked like a chi X and the other a foxy X) of course I raced out after her (in my all too revealing nightie at 40 weeks pregnant.. how bloody embarrassing!) and called her back but by this stage she had already reached the dogs and one of them growled at her but she didn't growl back.. her tail was wagging and she looked like she wanted to play with these dogs. Either way, no contact was really made between our dog and theirs as the woman actually kicked our dog away (fair enough! I would have done the same) and she didn't try to come back at the couples dogs.. she just sort of stood there looking at them wagging her tail like the dumb dog she is all the while I'm waddling up the driveway yelling her name *sigh*.

Anyway.. the couple were understandably not happy and commenced yelling at me that our dog had attacked theirs and they would report us to the council. I completely understand that in this situation we are entirely at fault.. our dog was unrestrained and did what could be described as 'rushing' the couple and their onlead dogs even if she did only want to play it's still completely wrong. I apologized profusely and acknowledged that we were in the wrong.. but I'm still expecting a phonecall from the council sometime in the next couple of days. We've never dealt with anything like this before with any of our dogs.. I'm just wondering if anyone could fill me on where it could go from here? My parents dog is in no way dangerous so I'm not worried about her being put to sleep over something like this.. but will we get a fine? How do they asses the situation and prove what happened? I'm a bit worried the couple might try to embellish their story after they got so upset and screamed at me about it for 10 minutes straight :/.

Edited by Skitch

Blimey - no advice or information specific to where you live...I just wanted to say lucky it wasn't worse, I mean what if you'd gone into labour on the spot! :shrug:

Seriously, these people didn't read your dog's body language correctly so they made a wrong assumption. I'd just be saying, if asked, that the front door was accidentally left open and you hadn't realised it was so. Your dog is friendly and when she saw someone walking their dogs past, she wanted to play. Say the couple completely misunderstood your dog's intentions and that they yelled at you for no reason.

I hope it goes nowhere...anyone can leave a door open by mistake. :laugh:

Blimey - no advice or information specific to where you live...I just wanted to say lucky it wasn't worse, I mean what if you'd gone into labour on the spot! :shrug:

Seriously, these people didn't read your dog's body language correctly so they made a wrong assumption. I'd just be saying, if asked, that the front door was accidentally left open and you hadn't realised it was so. Your dog is friendly and when she saw someone walking their dogs past, she wanted to play. Say the couple completely misunderstood your dog's intentions and that they yelled at you for no reason.

I hope it goes nowhere...anyone can leave a door open by mistake. :laugh:

Yes I agree.. it could have been worse lol!

But I do understand the couples frustrations and think that I deserved the yelling at (even though it wasn't my bloody dog, how were they to know!? LOL). I wonder if it even makes a difference to the council what her intentions were.. if I understand correctly her just being out the front of the house unrestrained is a huge deal and my parents could be in big trouble for that alone :). We've never had any other reports against us concerning either of the dogs that live here so I think we'll be okay.. but it is worrying me a bit considering how much these people yelled about it! :/

I don't think the dog did anything wrong, she was naturally inquisitive and rushed out an opened door to greet 2 dogs walking by. My 2 Cavaliers (well the younger one anyway) would do the same thing and I'd be mortified if the Dogs owners then kicked him away! Sounds awful!

If anyone calls from the Council explain it like you to us, the Dog saw a means of escape and went out to greet 2 dogs walking by, all excited. If anything, the owners have not read the dogs intent properly and quite frankly if it were me, I would not be shouting at a 40 weeks pregnant lady or kicking an obviously excited dog.

Good Luck :shrug:

I don't think the dog did anything wrong, she was naturally inquisitive and rushed out an opened door to greet 2 dogs walking by. My 2 Cavaliers (well the younger one anyway) would do the same thing and I'd be mortified if the Dogs owners then kicked him away! Sounds awful!

If anyone calls from the Council explain it like you to us, the Dog saw a means of escape and went out to greet 2 dogs walking by, all excited. If anything, the owners have not read the dogs intent properly and quite frankly if it were me, I would not be shouting at a 40 weeks pregnant lady or kicking an obviously excited dog.

Good Luck :laugh:

In the couples defense re; kicking our dog.. I can understand why they did that. They do not know our dog, even though she was displaying typically friendly behavior, they didn't know her well enough to know she wouldn't hurt a fly.. they could have also been kicking her away to protect her from their own dogs who may have been aggressive :shrug: So I dont blame them at all for kicking her! It did seem to be quite a hard kick and she did yelp but I dont think any permanent damage will come from it and it was probably best that she was kicked away rather than a dog fight starting

Lol they probably didn't realize I was pregnant :) It was quite dark haha! Yes I think I will just tell the council exactly what happened should they call.. I think if they were to come round and asses Bindi they'd realize she's not at all aggressive and very, very friendly!

To be honest, I wouldn't say anything or pre empt any action. If you get a call from council, deal with it then. Don't go announcing that the dog got out. And yes, I've been rushed at by smaller dogs when walking my dogs, but if its a once off then I'm not going to make a big deal of it and report it to council. My concern is more that the dog in question is returned to a secure yard.

Seriously, these people need a life. Sorry, but a small fluffy dog that comes running out wagging its tail? They're lucky that their over reaction and subsequent stress for you didn't trigger labour!

Someone who lives nearby to me (Tea Tree Gully council) had a similar thing happen. They got a letter from the council just saying it was a warning and any other reports would be investigated. Hopefully Campbelltown (the next council over) will be the same.

I think council would not do anything much if there was not a vet bill for repairs to doggy injuries.

If you admit your dog was off lead on the street, you may be fined.

I'd only admit the dog was in the driveway with the gate open and while it was very excited it never touched the other dogs, and I would not admit it was off your property.

The council may just warn you. They really would not be interested in court costs if you say you want to contest any fine and they'd have a hard time proving anything did happen (no dog bites/wounds).

And the couple with their dogs may just have been freaked out and by the time they get home and realise all is ok with their dogs - they may not bother hassling the council. If they were really worried, they'd have council phone number for ranger in their phone. I know I do for my local area - mostly because I keep collecting stray dogs when I go for walks with my own. But there are also a couple of attack dogs and people in my area that I'd like to get council to sort out.

To be honest, I wouldn't say anything or pre empt any action. If you get a call from council, deal with it then. Don't go announcing that the dog got out. And yes, I've been rushed at by smaller dogs when walking my dogs, but if its a once off then I'm not going to make a big deal of it and report it to council. My concern is more that the dog in question is returned to a secure yard.

Seriously, these people need a life. Sorry, but a small fluffy dog that comes running out wagging its tail? They're lucky that their over reaction and subsequent stress for you didn't trigger labour!

Lol, I agree! I've been rushed at by smaller dogs wanting to play MANY times while walking both of our dogs.. I'd never react in the way that these people did. But we are 'dog' people I guess you could say.. I think you can be a non dog person even when you do own a dog if that makes sense haha! I still think these people were within their 'rights' to react the way that they did.. even if it was a bit dramatic :laugh:

Someone who lives nearby to me (Tea Tree Gully council) had a similar thing happen. They got a letter from the council just saying it was a warning and any other reports would be investigated. Hopefully Campbelltown (the next council over) will be the same.

Cool, well that doesn't sound so terrible.. hopefully if anything comes of this it's something similar to that! Thanks for sharing :shrug:

I think council would not do anything much if there was not a vet bill for repairs to doggy injuries.

If you admit your dog was off lead on the street, you may be fined.

I'd only admit the dog was in the driveway with the gate open and while it was very excited it never touched the other dogs, and I would not admit it was off your property.

The council may just warn you. They really would not be interested in court costs if you say you want to contest any fine and they'd have a hard time proving anything did happen (no dog bites/wounds).

And the couple with their dogs may just have been freaked out and by the time they get home and realise all is ok with their dogs - they may not bother hassling the council. If they were really worried, they'd have council phone number for ranger in their phone. I know I do for my local area - mostly because I keep collecting stray dogs when I go for walks with my own. But there are also a couple of attack dogs and people in my area that I'd like to get council to sort out.

Excellent advice, thankyou for sharing. I hadn't considered it properly but when I think about it.. she technically never left our property, she was on our driveway the entire time.. I dont think that makes it okay but if we do get the phonecall I'll be sure to mention that! I hope they decide not to call.. hopefully they had a long walk home and had time to calm down :) I feel bad that our dumb little dog upset them so badly though! Naughty dog.. and my naughty sister! I want to wring her neck lol.

If the driveway extends past the fence line - it isn't your property - just to clear that up... and in most local councils (because it is LGA by-laws that are at least Adelaide wide) dogs must be on a leash on all footpaths and sidewalks.

Write it all down now, with time and date and everything you remember exactly. You don't need to do anything with it yet, but you will have it documented if anything comes up.

Hmmm.. well my parents house doesn't have a front fence so I cant judge from that.. but the she didn't go past our letterbox if that's the same thing! Either way we are in the wrong because she was in our front yard unrestrained.. if there's going to be consequences I guess we'll just have to face them :shrug: Sucks that she picked these two people to run up too.. I dont think most other people would have reacted quite so strongly, it really wasn't a big deal and only lasted a few seconds! Just our luck.. Thanks, I've got it all written down.. just in case :laugh:,

She may have gone about level with it.. but I dont think she went past it. The people were walking quite 'high up' on our driveway I guess you could say and their dogs had pulled their leashes to go to my parents dog and then the lady stepped forward and kicked my parents dog away from hers which definitely sent her back about a foot.. so I dont think she ever really left our property.. but Im not sure that it makes any difference considering she was unrestrained :shrug:

Letter box and watermeter usually mark the edge of the property.

I used to live in Campbelltown, Adelaide, SA too (on the Torrens side) and I didn't have a front fence either.

If I remember right, the letterbox and water meter were practically on top of each other. And set back a bit (5m or so) from the edge of the road. It's usually fairly obvious where the boundary lines are if you look up and down the street to see where the gardens leave a path for the postie and get a little bit less enthusiastic - ie council owns everything even if you plant it on their side.

How far from the kerb to the property boundary can vary from street to street.

So if the dog never went past the letter box, you're pretty safe.

PS the rules are here

http://www.dogsncats.asn.au/webdata/resour...agement_Act.pdf

page 7 section 7 - dog is at large if it is unrestrained by a responsible person and is on public property or private property without the owner's permisson.

Ie if it is on private property with the owner's permission it does not have to be restrained with a lead.

page 24 has a bit about attacking and harassing but there is an exception if the dog is "defending" its own property from intruders. Ie so long as your dog stayed on your private property - all good. Unless it had previously been declared dangerous or menacing and then there are "enclosure" rules ie dog must be kept somewhere escape proof.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

If she is definitly dog friendly you could talk to your neighbours and get references in case there is contact from the council,chances are the couple will cool down by the time they get home.

This can happen to anyone and if they were observant they should have seen your dog was friendly,I get a fair few small dogs charging out of gates but they are usually all fluff and bluff.I can tell straight away by my dogs attitude if they are friendly or not after all they understand the lingo.My main concern in these cases is the other dog running in front of a car,which happened to our neighbours german short hair pointer,....dog on other side of road,unlocked screen door,bus..., any way hope everything is ok and nothing comes of it,no news is good news

If your dog had rushed mine regardless if yours was a nice dog or not I would have been pissed as I have a dog that's not so nice and the simple act of your dog rushing would have started mine off.

They were prob pissed because they've had plenty of experiences of dogs like yours rushing them and they'd had enough....I can understand that.

You can either contact the Ranger and get your side of the story in now or wait for them to contact you.

I'd wait for the council to contact you, but certainly document everything in case they do.

And give younger sister a slappin' for being so stooopid :) - but really, ask her what she thinks would have happened if these people had been walking on the other side of the road and a car had been coming - or enquire if she intends to leave the front door open when your baby is walking age ;)

Edited by Sandra777