Great Ocean Road - With Dogs?

koalathebear

I'm planning a trip along the Great Ocean Road at some point in the future. We would be driving from Canberra and with two doggies in the backseat :D Safe with car harnesses and backseat buddy of course!

I know that there are websites that you can look up pet friendly lodgings but I was hoping for some tips from anyone who has done the Great Ocean Road (and with dogs) so that the touristy recommendations are also dog-friendly ...

We'd probably put aside a week or so for the trip - including the drive to and from Canberra. We don't need to stop over in each town etc, for instance if there's a town along the way with great things to see and do plus a very nice pet friendly beachside villa that would be great. I'm looking for suggestions about which towns are best to stop at along the way - which sights are nicest, which places are dog-friendly. We have two soft crates so the dogs are happy to sleep and chill-out in those along the way.

Also - given the looooooooong drive to and from Canberra, which towns are best for the rest stop post-Canberra and pre-Canberra :) Thanks very much in advance.

LINK

Some great looking places on the above link. :cheer:

I looove the Great Ocean Road drive, have never done it with the doglets tho!

Thanks for the link - some really great-looking places along the way! :D I'm not sure when we're going but we'll pick low season or something ... Any places you particularly recommend? I've heard some towns are better than others because some are too touristy. I'm also wondering whether pet-friendly means that they have fenced yards for the dogs or whether we'd have to tether the doggies or something.

I stayed at this place in Apollo bay www.marengobeachbreak.com.au I put a review in the accommodation section, it had fenced courtyards and was nice and quiet. Apollo Bay is a touristy town but not very busy during the week, as a town it is very dog friendly. This place was just outside town and 2minutes walk to an off leash beach my girl loved it, so did I, we were the only one on the beach some days. It was also new and very clean. Port fairy has a lot of dog friendly places too.Enjoy the Ocean Road a beautiful part of the world.

I've stayed at this one http://www.coastcottages.com.au/ near Apollo Bay and it is great - private property with fantastic walks through farmland, bush and beach... my dog loved it. The cottages themselves are not fenced though, so your dogs have to be inside with you. The view from the cottages are to die for.. I literally gasped out loud when we pulled up in front of our accommodation!

It sounds like a truly incredible road trip you have there.. driving all the way from Canberra!! :cheer:

Just be aware that as MOST of the lookouts are part of the National Park, dogs are not allowed. There is signage at each lookout saying dogs are not allowed on the tracks etc must remain in cars. Same for cats. I just drove along there from Port Fairy back towards Melbourne and the dogs had to stay in the van while I looked around. This can be hot if you don't pick the right seasons. When you get to the 12 apostles there is a tourist car park etc there and so I went up a side road from there to let the dogs out for a quick pee, but it is next to the main road. I found there wasn't a lot of places to stop with the dogs and personally felt I would rather have not had the dogs. I couldn't avoid it though as I was driving back to Sydney from Port Fairy after the Supreme sheep dog trials.

You don't actually drive through a lot of towns along the way. After Warnambool I think the next town was a few hours later and then Cape Otway. ( I would need to go and check which towns)

Edited by dasha

We did it from Sydney in May 2009, my Mum and I with two dogs. 4500 kms over 16 days.

Our first night was Wagga, then Bendigo, Ballarat, Melbourne 2 nights, Apollo Bay, Warrnambool 2 nights, then on to SA, Mt Gambier, Keith, Adelaide, Morook 2 nights, Mildura, Deliliquin, then Yass via Batlow and Home via Canberra. I had a friend in Ballarat mind the dogs for a couple of hours so we could see Sovereign Hill.

We stayed in everything from dog friendly houses with yards (only 2) to guesthouses, cabins, caravans and with friends. A few nights we just had to motel it and leave the dogs in the car. Will see if I can find my list of places and let you know. There are some lovely dog friendly places along the way but they are expensive and need to be booked a long way in advance. Most of the ones I liked the look of were booked out months in advance. We went in off peak time and chose not to book any more than a day ahead so we didn't need to keep to a schedule.

My dogs were in their crates secured into the back of the station wagon and I had padlocks for their crates. Don't know how you will get on with a sedan. The dogs are not allowed out of the car in the National park that runs all along the south and west part of the GOR. We walked them elsewhere then left them in the carparks in the locked crates with the car locked and the tailgate up, while we went to all the lookouts. You can't see anything much from the road so have to park and walk to each lookout along the way. Be prepared for A LOT of walking but not with the dogs. You may be better to try to hire or borrow a dog trailer but towing it will be a bit of challenge on the east side of the GOR. That is the the most winding bit of road I think I have ever been on.

Edited by dancinbcs

Thanks so much for all the responses - all very helpful. We're not able to go quite yet - probably intending to go when it's a bit cooler and hopefully less crowded but there's lots to plan and think about. For instance, perhaps we could hire a station wagon for the trip and not use our sedan.

The plan is to not take the dogs to all the various tourist attractions but pick perhaps 2-3 towns along the way where we could stay 1-2 nights as a 'base'. These would be near a dog beach so that the dogs could go for a nice walk and play every morning and we'd leave the dogs in the enclosed yard of the villa/cottage etc for a few hours while we went off to scout the nearby dog-unfriendly tourist attractions. Then when we were back, we could go for walks with the dogs nearby - they won't know that they're missing out on tourist attractions :o

dancinbcs - I love that you went to Bendigo and Ballarat, too because I've always had a hankering to go there and see the goldfields stuff and the Chinese historical traces. Your list would be very much appreciated.

Another thing, all the beaches past Lorne are dog friendly from St. Gorge's River to Marengo. Just pull over in any of the small car parks on the side of the ocean road and there will be a small track close by and you will have a pristine beach to yourself, remember to take your time and if another car comes up behind you pull over, as not all people are on holiday they have places to be. I know this as in another life I lived in the area. Oh yes, most of the eating places in Apollo Bay have outdoor seating and you can bring your dog, hope that's been some help. Love the pics of your Kelpies.

I was going to bring up the Nat Park thing too. I just did this drive (well actually I did Rockhampton - Adelaide - Melbourne - Sydney etc but as part of that trip I did the GOR) and it was absolutely INCREDIBLE but most of the lookouts and places to see the scenery etc are National Park areas.

I stayed several days at Countrywide Cottages which is about 25 min inland from Lorne. Exceptionally dog friendly (they prefer dogs to chidren!!). I think in the Dog Friendly accom thread it is mentioned a few times. But could be a good spot to base yourself before/after the GOR, even though it's inland it's lovely, dogs allowed inside, dam for them to swim in, not too long to Lorne (which seemed to be very dog friendly, at the fish n chip shop we went to each of the dogs were given a treat with our order!!), have fenced verandahs where you can leave the dogs if you are comfortable doing so while you go to places that dogs are not allowed. I would go back there in a flash!

In May 2010, i travelled with my two Shar Pei Millie and Sarge to a place called Johanna. We stayed in lovely dog friendly accommodation at http://www.johannabeach.com/

Dog friendly beaches, dog friendly cafes, and i also took the dogs to see sum waterfalls (on lead)

The cottages were lovely and the dogs loved it as did I :o They each had their own big cane basket with complimentary treats and Natures Gift food.

The lady who runs the place is Helen. She was looking at selling, so i'm not sure if it is stil running or not but it was gr8 and it wouldn't hurt to call them to find out :rofl: