Multi-sired Litters

gapvic

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rebanne, I've managed to find out a little more info about the process should you wish to try in the future :-).

1. The vet needs to thaw each vial as per usual then mix a drop of each together on a slide and check motility. If the semen has been frozen using different extenders, the extender of one may damage the semen of the other.

2. It seems that there is no value in putting one semen in one horn and the other semen in the other as I've been advised it will still come into contact with each other

3. I've heard that you can stack your odds a bit if the post thaw motility of one is higher than the other - you put more of the poorer semen in and less of the better semen. You do then however run the risk of getting few or no pups.

Have found it very hard to find info about the whole process :-(. Our bitch is likely to be implanted over the weekend so fingers crossed!!

Larissa

Hmm, so if you had semen from 2 different dogs but from the same kennel, they should both have the same extender, so that problem is out of the way. But having to thaw out both, then find one is so much better than the other, means the poorer one, is most likely thrown out, or if used, a bit of a pointless exercise. Lots to think about.

Fingers crossed it all works out for your girl

I've been speaking with Alistair Smith at Sandown today and he has done a few dual matings in show dogs so he seemed to know a bit about it. He said that all racing greyhounds that have been frozen here have been done using the "Camelot system" (not really sure what that means) so there is no problem mixing the semen. Obviously you wouldn't be using racing greyhounds so you'd just need to check that.

I've gone back through the mating results and I've noticed that one of the dogs we've used has had quite a lot of misses, and Alistair today confirmed that the semen quality isn't great, so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't end up with any of his pups. Both stud dogs are black so I don't think we'll be able to tell too much by the puppies colour LOL!

As a greyhound owner, we'll have to pay $115 per puppy to Greyhounds Australasia to have them DNA tested. We can't do this until they are three months old, and after they have been ear branded and microchipped. Each pup must be DNA'd.

I'm sure show dogs are quite different, and you may be able to DNA privately for less :-).

I've gone back through the mating results and I've noticed that one of the dogs we've used has had quite a lot of misses, and Alistair today confirmed that the semen quality isn't great, so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't end up with any of his pups. Both stud dogs are black so I don't think we'll be able to tell too much by the puppies colour LOL!

Camelot method was developed in America. Only method used for racing greyhounds AFAIK. Not sure exactly what the method is or how it differs from any others? :love:

What happens if you get no pups from either of them? Is there a free return?

My dilemma would be not just the stud fee lost but also all the costs getting the FS here, which could happen anyway in a single sire implant. Lots of things to think about.

In our case, there is no free return (or refund) should we miss with either stud dog. It was a risk we chose to take. I think you'd just have to negotiate that with the stud owners first :-). Yes, lots of risk! But also lots of benefits should it all work :-)

Good luck with your breeding, will be interesting to see how you end up. New technology is amazing! I have friends in USA who often do dual sire matings, they run working sled dog teams and thus only have to take their bitches out of the team less often.

Please keep us posted ;)

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

Thought I'd better update this thread! Of our eight puppies, we ended up with seven by Sire A and one by Sire B. We are quite pleased with this as there were four other whelpings due for Sire B for March and all missed, as it seems there were some issues with the semen (that have now been rectified). So although it would have been nice to have more pups by Sire B, we're happy to have the one :-).

Larissa

I'll certainly be doing it again in the future. Just wish the DNA prices were cheaper - we had to pay $115 per puppy (and there were eight of them!) :(

That is a little rich, my vet told me it would be $65.00 per pup so I'm happy to go with that. Maybe you need to ask around to get a better price.