Registered Breeders

Steve

I would be interested to now where a MDBA member would stand on the Freedom of sales act??If ANKC can't stop it how do the MDBA expect too??

Ligate question when COE can be over run by govt regs on sales ??

That was why we went with the business entity we did - so we didnt have to worry about that.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would be interested to now where a MDBA member would stand on the Freedom of sales act??If ANKC can't stop it how do the MDBA expect too??

not sure unless it is a voluntary restriction, ie agreement by breeders not to engage in that activity and ramifications by the organisation if they breach their voluntary agreement?

The major differences in our code is that we agree we wont sell puppies to pet shops, or agents, that we wont breed unregistered dogs

Um those COE are no more special than what ANKC members already abide by

Dogs NSW - Members can and do breed cross bred dogs as long as they are not registered purebreds and they can sell to export agents and pet shops if they are PIAA accredited.

A Member shall not knowingly permit any of that Member's pure bred dogs to be mated to adog of a different breed, to a cross-bred dog, or to any unregistered dog of the same breed or to a dog not on the Main Register unless:-

i) such mating is for the health, welfare and/or the development of a breed or an aspect

thereof, and

ii) The member has obtained the prior approval of the Board of Directors.

The prohibition against crossbreeding contained in this clause shall not apply to guide and working dogs. 12/08

A Member shall not:

(a) sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers or retail pet dealers, who are not accredited

by the Pet Industry Association of Australia Limited (PIAA). (05/05)

(b) allow a dog owned by that member to be given as a prize or donation in a contest of any

kind. (10/03)

Ok. Like I have said heaps of times I am new to all of this but surely selling to PIAA cannot be a good thing!!!?????

I have heard PIAA is the org that supports the pet shops and therefore puppy farmers????

not sure unless it is a voluntary restriction, ie agreement by breeders not to engage in that activity and ramifications by the organisation if they breach their voluntary agreement?

Can someone tell me if this is right

ANKC - sells to pet shop

MDBA - does not sell to pet shops

If that is the case, I will go with MDBA

ANKC - sells to pet shop

correct

That's a bit how I feel too. A sort of elitism if you will.

There is nothing wrong with aspiring to be elite, but buying a membership to say you are is what im against.

Being an elite/accredited breeder should be like a life membership, a badge of honor awarded to you from those within - In this case the ANKC.

This is achieved by your morals, ethics, knowledge and commitment not something you can buy.

Needs a like button.

the ankc has determined that ankc breeders selling puppies to a PIAA pet shop is allowable under their rules and CoE

Thanks for that clarification.

So therefore, like it or not, ANKC is supporting puppy farmers - or at best allowing them to be part of their group. I would not call a group that supports sale of pups to pet shops reputable.

Edited by Annie99

ANKC - sells to pet shop

As Steve explained it once, the ANKC under the fair trading laws, as simply a registry, cannot prevent someone selling a dog to anyone. The MDBA can because it is a private company. It's a business.

the ankc has determined that ankc breeders selling puppies to a PIAA pet shop is allowable under their rules and CoE

So therefore, like it or not, ANKC is supporting puppy farmers - or at best allowing them to be part of their group. I would not call a group that supports sale of pups to pet shops reputable.

Allowing it is not the same as supporting it. The ANKC does not have a choice.

Edited by Sheridan

No this is not true. more accurately is that the ankc allows its members to sell puppies to pet shops.

ANKC - sells to pet shop

As Steve explained it once, the ANKC under the fair trading laws, as simply a registry, cannot prevent someone selling a dog to anyone. The MDBA can because it is a private company.

Yes. But to be part of the registry you have to abide by codes/ethics and if the codes/ethics allow puppy farmers not worth the piece of paper written on or website on or whatever. Have I got that right?

Change the code/ethics to prevent puppy farmers. If they are caught they get kicked off.

Oh, I forgot that would involve lots of loss of $$$$$$ (billions in fact). Am I right or wrong?

No this is not true. more accurately is that the ankc allows its members to sell puppies to pet shops.

Hmmmmmm.

well the waters get murkier and murkier, it seems.

annie as explained before there are commonwealth legislation that prevents the ankc from stipulating that their members cannot sell puppies to pet shops. it is the fair trade legislation

you cannot read anything emotional into this situation, it is factual and the law

eta that the ankc does restrict it's members to only sell to PIAA pet shops

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

I do remember the ANKC where getting advise from the ACCC on the trades practices act on what a hobby breeder was entitled to before that happened.

Hmmm.

Not sure if I would call puppy farmers hobby breeders.

But I know some cat breeders who have over 30 female cats and call it a "hobby" as well.

Hmmmm. More and more confusing.

A very tangled web that has been woven.

It's not as black and white as that, for example, when the question was asked here to define puppy farmers there was no clear definition. It is not as black and white as you are making it to be, life isn't that simple for the rest of us.

ain't that the truth

It's not as black and white as that, for example, when the question was asked here to define puppy farmers there was no clear definition. It is not as black and white as you are making it to be, life isn't that simple for the rest of us.

Yep and people can muck it up with one dog as well as if they have 100.