Registered Breeders

Steve

People speak as if this is a new thing and yet its been around for over 6 years and we have worked are backsides off trying to promote purebred dogs and registered breeders . We have encouraged people to become registered with their state's CCs and supported and been in advocating the same things as the ANKC beside them and the state CCs in everything we have done

Your right MDBA has been around for 6 years, yet 90% if not more don't know it exists??

The ANKC has been around for years, and yet many members of the general public know nothing about it, nor about registered dogs.

but because we wanted to introduce something to help our members profile their pedigrees providing information in a registry which isn’t provided by anyone else for all breeds and make it with a greater focus on health and temperament for the benefit of our dogs we see the craziest reaction and accusations.

I think a new registry crazy idea, I would think you would get better results if you invested your time in working to get on the ANKC committee and putting your talent to use on the existing registry.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is the procedure if an MDBA member does something wrong? Is it similar/ the same to the ANKC procedures?

It is a minefield for many puppy buyers to find a good breeder, i think the MDBA could be helpful. Steve are you able to explain the key differences between the ANKC COE and the MDBA COE? Or can we start another thread for this discussion if more appropriate?

Edit- off topic

Edited by Cosmolo

Yes you can buy it. Unless they are checking everyone's back yard the rotten eggs can still slip through.

Look at some of the MDBA awards handed out, some of them are a little less then squeaky clean. :heart:

I hope that was worth it.

Worth it no, but it just proves rotten eggs DO (not yelling) slip through.

No registry/organisation is perfect, no person is perfect.

What i am curious is when the MDBA start creating there own breed standards then what happens to the general public in deciding which one is right??

Then when you add this how are the public suppose to decide who is right

Foundation Registry

The purpose of the Foundation Registry is for new breeds which are in an

early developmental stage and in which record keeping is vital to the

history of the breed. The registration of these breeds will provide an

accurate, precise chronicle of the breed's progress and development, and may

prove or disprove its future acceptance as a viable, healthy breed as well

as providing analysis of any genetic problems inherent in a particular

breeding program.

Use of both hybrid crosses and outcrosses to dogs of unknown or unregistered

parentage is permitted. There are no limitations or restrictions on the

breeding programs for these breeds. Breed standards will not be accepted

unless the welfare aspects are addressed as well as all others.

So does them mean you can be a Schnnodle(DDB) breeder ?? & recognized with the MDBA

The MDBA are creating and writing their own standards for each breed to be able to be registered - that is we are working out for each breed what tests we are going to make mandatory and what is going to be recommended. There is no need for you to worry about people being confused about which breed standard because breed standards are not being altered.

No dog can be placed on the stud registry unless it is a main registered dog with an approved registry -

You can not be a schnoodle breeder and be an MDBA member. If you are working on a new breed you are able to place the dogs on the Foundation registry to enable you to do exactly what you can do now with the ANKC - seek breed recognition when you get to that. Allowing people to work on that under our supervision means they can use our data base to track genetic issues , health or temperament way before it gets to a request for recoginition.And they dont get to even be a starter unless they can present the breeding program and show how they intend to proceed to get to a new breed and what you can do with any puppies produced along the way is restricted too.

To suggest that what we intend to do is to allow schnoodle breeders to be recognised is a mile away from reality and in fact its an attempt at showing people the difference between a schnoodle breeder and breeder who is working within a frame work to develop a new breed.

This concept isnt new over seas it just something the ANKC havent provided as they usually show no interest until the application goes in for recognition - that doesnt mean the process of getting there isnt the same or that its not a good thing for us to be involved before that.

So what exactly can they breed under the registry that is from unknown or unregistered parentage ??

The same thing they can breed when starting any breed with a view to attaining breed recognition with any registry. Do you think the ANKC tell people what dogs to use in their foundation stock ? Progeny is registered on the foundation register with us just as it would be with their own breed registry just as any breed in development does now. One of the most serious concerns for any breed is the integrity of its pedigree and ownership records. The ultimate goal is full ANKC recognition. Often, the biggest hurdle is creating and maintaining accurate records.All we are doing is helping them with their record keeping and tracking potential health issues with the provision of a pedigree. I dont see why its such a big deal and its common in over seas all breed registries anyway.

People speak as if this is a new thing and yet its been around for over 6 years and we have worked are backsides off trying to promote purebred dogs and registered breeders . We have encouraged people to become registered with their state's CCs and supported and been in advocating the same things as the ANKC beside them and the state CCs in everything we have done

Your right MDBA has been around for 6 years, yet 90% if not more don't know it exists??

The ANKC has been around for years, and yet many members of the general public know nothing about it, nor about registered dogs.

but because we wanted to introduce something to help our members profile their pedigrees providing information in a registry which isn't provided by anyone else for all breeds and make it with a greater focus on health and temperament for the benefit of our dogs we see the craziest reaction and accusations.

I think a new registry crazy idea, I would think you would get better results if you invested your time in working to get on the ANKC committee and putting your talent to use on the existing registry.

Time will tell and thanks for the vote of confidence but I have no desire to be on the ANKC committee any more than I want to be spoken to as if Im a naughty child because I want to play a different game.

Rebanne doesnt get emails anymore as she is unfinacial

this not getting emails has only happened recently though as I hadn't noticed they had stopped. Thank you.

Rebanne can you tell me why you arn't a member anymore

What is the procedure if an MDBA member does something wrong? Is it similar/ the same to the ANKC procedures?

It is a minefield for many puppy buyers to find a good breeder, i think the MDBA could be helpful. Steve are you able to explain the key differences between the ANKC COE and the MDBA COE? Or can we start another thread for this discussion if more appropriate?

Edit- off topic

If we get a complaint or if we feel something might not be quite right we launch an investigation which will entail what ever is needed for us to work out whether the breeder or the rescue person or professional is mucking it up or not.

Obviously each is taken on a case by case basis but we have a Private investigator who we use if we have to and some cases will be dealt with a warning and counselling with the breeder being monitored more closely or asked to leave.

By having the registry it also enables us to have more control over genetic testing, sharing of info, monitoring numbers of litters being bred , proof of parentage etc.

Its tougher now than it was in the beginning but there is a focus on ensuring the standard is high because one bad one impacts on the rest.Its the same with the standard placed on the courses and students - if any of it is going to mean anything it has to be taken seriously. In some circumstances we would involve the police and have the person charged if we needed to.

The major differences in our code is that we agree we wont sell puppies to pet shops, or agents, that we wont breed unregistered dogs. there are couple of minor points where our members agree to treat a sale and post sale differently and a couple of others. But the code is only one aspect of membership, with extra screening and getting to know puppy buyers being another part of it too. If a puppy buyer or two tell me a breeders dogs are being well looked after and theyir yard and set up is clean and there's no problem we dont have visit done unless there is a complaint.

People seem to be threatened in some way because we introduced an option for our members to register their puppies with us if they wanted to utilise the data base - its difficult to see why.

I cant really see where this thread is leading to

except being another plug for the MDBA

sad really

I cant see where its going either and it is sad.

Im not sure Id use the word plug though.

Rebanne doesnt get emails anymore as she is unfinacial

this not getting emails has only happened recently though as I hadn't noticed they had stopped. Thank you.

Rebanne can you tell me why you arn't a member anymore

um I joined mostly because I was new to this breeding caper and the MDBA sounded like it could be very helpful for me. I was hoping that being a member would make it easier to find homes for my pups as they are not that easy to place. But the MDBA never took off as I thought it would, the public has even less idea about them then they do the ANKC. As time went by, I leant more and more, from many different places, and by the time I did breed my 1st litter, any questions I had were able to be answered by other sources. And placing the pups was not a problem, there was only two. :laugh: My ethics are pretty good I think, certainly meet the COE for ANKC and MDBA; I decided I didn't need to pay for a logo to prove I am ethical, same way as I won't be paying to be an "approved breeder" or what ever they are calling it with the ANKC.

Ive got a real easy solution for it - when you are looking for a new puppy or recycled dog go to an MDBA breeder or rescue member. :laugh:

Trouble is Ive no doubt registered breeders who are not our members wont see that as a viable solution. ;)

I cant really see where this thread is leading to

except being another plug for the MDBA

sad really

I cant see where its going either and it is sad.

Im not sure Id use the word plug though.

What would you call it then Steve?

I'd like to know these answers too please.

Oh duh, sorry, just saw you'd already answered - I'm too slow tonight!

Edited by Staranais

The major differences in our code is that we agree we wont sell puppies to pet shops, or agents, that we wont breed unregistered dogs

Um those COE are no more special than what ANKC members already abide by

are you sure showdog? i thought ankc members were allowed to sell puppies to pet shops, i would like to know if i am wrong though.

The major differences in our code is that we agree we wont sell puppies to pet shops, or agents, that we wont breed unregistered dogs

are you sure showdog? i thought ankc members were allowed to sell puppies to pet shops, i would like to know if i am wrong though.

I believe through PIA accredited & it has to do with freedom of sale (govt law)

This has also been an issue with exporting the Freedom of sales aspect .

I don't agree with either but i do now this has been a major issue with many people over the years as to why it can't be stopped & it has come done to the Freedom of sales

Edited by showdog

Dogs NSW - Members can and do breed cross bred dogs as long as they are not registered purebreds and they can sell to export agents and pet shops if they are PIAA accredited.

A Member shall not knowingly permit any of that Member's pure bred dogs to be mated to adog of a different breed, to a cross-bred dog, or to any unregistered dog of the same breed or to a dog not on the Main Register unless:-

i) such mating is for the health, welfare and/or the development of a breed or an aspect

thereof, and

ii) The member has obtained the prior approval of the Board of Directors.

The prohibition against crossbreeding contained in this clause shall not apply to guide and working dogs. 12/08

A Member shall not:

(a) sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers or retail pet dealers, who are not accredited

by the Pet Industry Association of Australia Limited (PIAA). (05/05)

(b) allow a dog owned by that member to be given as a prize or donation in a contest of any

kind. (10/03)

I believe through PIAA accredited & it has to do with freedom of sale (govt law)

ty that's what i thought. ankc members can sell puppies to accredited PIAA pet shops whereas MDBA members cannot.