Queensland Moves To Shut Down Puppy Farms

sheena

Just what we need, more rules, more regs and higher costs for breeders.

There's not "big money" in breeding dogs as a hobby and more restrictive legislation and higher costs, will just see more of the breeders, who should be breeding walk away.

I don't think we are talking about breeding dogs for a hobby...we are talking about puppy farms. I don't think genuine & ethical breeders, who are passionate about their breed, would have anything to worry about, maybe might cost just a few more $'s to stay in the breeding game, but this is added on to the price people pay for a good pup. If I were a breeder that bred for the good of the breed & not for profit, I would welcome puppy farms being put out of business. I cant see your problem with legislation which will crack down on puppy farms & reduce the number of dogs that go through hell in these places & many, many pups that have to be rehomed or PTS :shrug: Maybe if legislation had been in place then people like Staffylover, who paid $2500 for a blue staffy that should never had been bred, might have been saved the heartbreak that she is going through :hug:

I think you've mixed a few issues up together and the likes of the blue pup could have been produced by a breeder with one bitch or a breeder that owns 20.

It's sounds all fine and dandy to hand out ID numbers for advertising, but how are those ID numbers going to be approved ?

Some of the best breeders in this country, in terms of producing quality pups, that are sound in both mind and body would be wiped out by such legislation. If you think they have nothing to fear think again.

The big kennels and sheds, the one's with the concrete floors, the drainage, located out of town etc, are the one's that are going to be approved or have already been approved by councils.

It's the smaller breeders, the breeders who house their dogs in the private back yards, have them living in the house and whelp them in the loungeroom or the bedroom that will be knocked back.

I for one have already decided to walk away. This nonsense legislation is speading rampantly around the country and rather than become a law breaker, for breeding and raising dogs in my own home ( where they should be ), I'm giving it up.

I don't think we are talking about breeding dogs for a hobby...we are talking about puppy farms.

How do you differentiate between a hobby breeder who is lucky enough to have the time and money to look after 20 dogs properly and a puppy farmer who has 20 dogs?

I don't think genuine & ethical breeders, who are passionate about their breed, would have anything to worry about, maybe might cost just a few more $'s to stay in the breeding game, but this is added on to the price people pay for a good pup.

The price people pay for a good pup :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have a puppy for sale here. He is amongst the top 5 best male puppies I have bred in 30 years (no I cannot keep him). I cannot find anyone who will buy him (and give him a good home) for a price which is less than what the same person could buy a random bred puppy of the same breed at the local petshop. WHAT price do people pay for a good pup?????

If I were a breeder that bred for the good of the breed & not for profit, I would welcome puppy farms being put out of business.

So would I, but rules written by people who do not understand dog breeding won't help.

Maybe if legislation had been in place then people like Staffylover, who paid $2500 for a blue staffy that should never had been bred, might have been saved the heartbreak that she is going through :(

I doubt it. One of the worst blue Stafford puppy farmers I am aware of is an accredited breeder (no not the person you are referring to). You cannot regulate ethics.

There are plenty of breeds that don't find homes easily - Fox Hounds, Afghan Hounds, Saluki, Pharaoh Hounds, Ibizan Hounds etc. Basically most of the Hound group.

If you have those sorts of breeds, you set yourself up to kiss all the $$ you know you will lose just to get your next generation on the ground (whilst praying the litter size is small). Just add the extra costs of yearly "breeder" registration, ontop of the ever increasing canine control fees (breeders prefix, membership, registration) on dogs that will at times be given away, or that you will hold and advertise for 10 months. One more nail in the coffin.

This sort of legislation makes it EASIER for large scale farmers. They register multiple breeder numbers and just register to the quotas on each. It's an extra cost which means they just pump out a few extra pups to cover the situation.

Small scale breeders who actually have the time to spend with pups to raise them properly will just find another hurdle in their way.

Dogs as pets will be only able to be sourced from the huge farmers and accidentals that end up at the pound because the owners found out about fines/registration/fees after they are born.

That seems to be the way it is going, Lowenheart.

The pf only breed easy to sell breeds, so they can breed a few more to cover any and all extra costs, but small time hobby breeders (which is most of us) can't do that, and there is absolutely no way for legislators to differentiate between 20 dogs living in a puppy farm (and many do) and 20 well cared for dogs with a hobby breeder as Sandra so rightly points out.

But any proposed legislation looks good until you begin thinking about it. I don't have a problem with legislation which curtails puppy farms, but unfortunately, the changes proposed so far will have far more impact on hobby breeders. There is already legislation and means to stop puppy farms, but governments seem more interested in bringing in more legislation than using existing legislation to control the problem.

Oh dear

That seems to be the way it is going, Lowenheart.

The pf only breed easy to sell breeds, so they can breed a few more to cover any and all extra costs, but small time hobby breeders (which is most of us) can't do that, and there is absolutely no way for legislators to differentiate between 20 dogs living in a puppy farm (and many do) and 20 well cared for dogs with a hobby breeder as Sandra so rightly points out.

But any proposed legislation looks good until you begin thinking about it. I don't have a problem with legislation which curtails puppy farms, but unfortunately, the changes proposed so far will have far more impact on hobby breeders. There is already legislation and means to stop puppy farms, but governments seem more interested in bringing in more legislation than using existing legislation to control the problem.

Oh dear

One would think that the RSPCA would have enough power to shut down puppy farms....if they did their job right :) And maybe educating the public about where they buy their pup from ...but I don't think Mr. Public gives a damn IMO as to where the pup comes from...they don't even stop to think about health issues etc. How many people do you know who have bought their pup from a petshop or a BYB :( If you carried out a survey then I am sure the answer would be " most people"...except for those who aquire said puppy from a rescue centre, where the said puppy most probably originated from a BYB or a PF. More often than not, I am made to feel like some kind of freak, because I support the concept of ethical breeding & choose to buy my dogs from such breeders :laugh:

Walked past a pet shop today and like always kids want to go in to have a look. I could not believe what I was looking at, I could not even believe that they would even dare sell a dog like this but I guess they don't care what they sell. I took this picture because I was in shock and horrified and for a while I thought maybe I can do something about this?

The Pup's rear back bone was sticking out a bit like a Jersy cow and the belly appeared bloated. Yes I do educate my children about animals sold in pet shops and where most come from.

Just below was an empty glass cabinet with a sign saying Breed: Jug (I thought, whats is that?) Price: $899. I don't know if this sign was ment for that pup. So sad :o

post-34322-1295422421_thumb.jpg

Fleuri- please email that photo,with petshops address straight to the RSPCA!!! :laugh: :laugh:

x2

I just sent it to the RSPCA, including address and details. They had a cruelty complaint form but I didn't have an option to attach the photo so I send it as an email to attach the photo.

Poor doggy :rofl: