Floods Prompt Call For Pet Evacuation Laws

bullylove

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole thing is terrible and such a shame - I can tell you that I would never leave behind my pack.

me either...

OH and I were talking about it today and we said we never would as well. Our dogs are part of the family.

Since my marriage broke down, my dogs ARE my family. Even when I was with my husband I would never have left my girls behind. It's inhumane.

The whole thing is terrible and such a shame - I can tell you that I would never leave behind my pack.

Same here ! I would rather die than abandon my canine family.

I can't understand how anyone could leave their pets behind and those who have are going to have to live with that for the rest of their lives.

The whole situation is very sad. ;)

I see no reason the RNA can't accept pets, even if they ask that they be kept in a separate area. I'd gladly throw my swag amongst other pet owners, my goodness, it's a disaster.

Us exhibitors literally pay for those RNA grounds with our animal entries.

Fair is fair!

Oh yes, I agree, people with animals of any kind need to plan ahead and get the animals out early.

I helped to pay for the facilities at the RNA over the past 34 years with entry fees for poultry, waterfowl, birds, horses, sheep, cattle, dairy and angora goats, not to mention dogs.

It's absurd that acres of stables, pens, aviaries, etc. cannot be used by those that made them possible in the first place.

Lets take the poultry pavilion for one. It could serve as a cattery or boarding kennel in this emergency. It's only ever used for 2 weeks a year, such a waste.

Row after row of cages could house a cat with a litterbox, a small dog, a parrot, a guinea pig. The larger pens used for geese during the show would accommodate a large dog.

There would be plenty of people around to act as the stewards would act during an exhibition to keep things running smooth.

I see no reason why people should not be allowed to turn up there with their dogs etc for a few days, it's exactly what we do during an exhibition.

It is devestating to see the people who couldn't save their pets - like the lady here on the newscast with the horses - she got 4 out but then lost the last 2. And thats only one in how many.

I couldn't and wouldn't leave my dogs behind.

We had a puppy flying into Qld on Monday - but after speaking to her new owners and assessing the situation we cancelled it. They have been devestated by the floods - have lost everything. God my heart goes out to them - its just so hard as there is nothing you can do and nothing we can do to help. I am very glad we didn't have a baby puppy on the ground though.

This is so heart-breaking. I am one of those people who believe that if you you have pets and you think that you're in danger, you get out early, but now having read about the flash flood - there are times when you just can't plan in advance ...

I just am not sure I could leave my dogs behind even if ordered to do so especially after reading a report here about a crocodile being seen savaging a dog that was left behind. Also reading about how frightened the dogs must be that are left behind :laugh:

It's a hell of a lot more efficient to accomodate pets in an emergency situation than it is to argue with people and physically subdue them when the floodwaters are rising. A lot of people will leave sooner if they can take their pets too so overall less work for emergency services.

Quite right, Woofnhoof.

Let's not judge those who make a heart breaking decision to leave their pets behind.

It is easy to say you'd stay when you don't have to choose between saving your kids, your life, or that of your dogs

I'm sure you weren't trying to be provocative, but just to clarify - I'm not judging anyone. I'm talking about how I'm feeling seeing all the new footage ...

You can't legislate to force people to act with common sense. Leaving at the last minute, trying to catch terrified pets etc.. this happens and most of it can be prevented.

What they can do is educate people to PLAN for these events and be prepared. Owning a crate for every animal you have, having room or a plan to transport your human and animal family and sounding out friends and rellies as to places to bolt to are all sensible precautions.

Then advising well ahead that evacuation centres WILL take pets can encourage folk to leave early.

Forcing people to leave animals behind exacerbates trauma and creates issues for emergency services/disaster relief folk down the track.

Great post PF.

I don't see why it would be such an issue if every dog had a crate and was crate trained - maybe they should educate owners on this. That way they could easily be contained at the evacuation centre. If they think they would disrupt people they could have two sections - one with pets one without, I know I would be happy to put up with a bit of noise from other pets if it meant I could have my pets safe with me.

All these people that wont leave there pets behind - i understand where you are coming from but emergency services now have the power to forcibly remove you without your pets. People need to plan ahead or fact the facts.

No one should be able to forcibly remove me, if emergency services came & I said not without my animals then they should just say your choice we won't be back. It's my decision & I'll have to live, or die, with it, but I couldn't live with knowing I'd abandoned my animals & let them die. I'd never condem anyone who does leave their pets because everyone has to do what's right for them. PF is right PLAN ahead as best you can.

Dova, I do understand where your coming from believe me but emergency services would be in strife with your family, community and friends. Not to mention the pounding they would cop in the media. Why should these hard working people who volenteer to risk their lives to help others have to suffer? There is also the people who have to find your body, investigate your death and so on. All these people will suffer too.

Like I said I understand how you feel but rather than create problems for an already fatigued ERT pet owners need to have a plan, especially if you have time. The poor buggers that didnt get any warning or couldnt escape are the ones I feel the most for.

i think New Zealand needs to learn from what has happened in Australia over the last few years as far as disasters are concerned and put some similar lawns in place for dealing with animals in the event of disaster...