Dogs Inside Or Outside

Pollywaffle

Another dimension to the issue is the discussion on whether a dog is a "family" dog or a "resident" dog. Those classifications are important in understanding dog aggression towards people.

Linky for those interested.

Personally I don't think its as simple as "family dogs are inside" and "resident dogs are outside" but I think people can end up with a "resident" dog with no idea of the significance for their family. A dog with no social bond to your family members can present a significant risk.

Edited by poodlefan

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another dimension to the issue is the discussion on whether a dog is a "family" dog or a "resident" dog. Those classifications are important in understanding dog aggression towards people.

Personally I don't think its as simple as "family dogs are inside" and "resident dogs are outside" but I think people can end up with a "resident" dog with no idea of the significance for their family. A dog with no social bond to your family members can present a significant risk.

This is referring to extremes. The "resident" dog in the photo is obviously neglected, underfed, chained and probably has little if any contact with people. Of course it is going to have issues due to the way it is kept.

Unfortunately that photo is what alot of people seem to think outdoor dogs are.

Lottie in both an inside dog and outside dog - at the moment we're at my parents, with 3 big dogs (lottie and my sisters rotti and staffy x) and they are outside (pool area)/access to the garage which looks into the house as that's just what we do when they're here - saying that - I spend 90% of my time outside in the pool area when i'm at my parents, so it's really no different.

At my house when it's just Lottie and my flatmates dogs - they're outside during the days and inside in our rooms at night - we don't let them all around the house as we rent and have two other housemates, and I just prefer her to stay in my room with me - if that makes sense!! We also spend all day with the dogs outside if we're home and out and about with them!!!

Lottie definately prefers to be outside during the day times - and that's purely because it's cooler outside for her then my room!!!! Lottie is fine with sleeping outside though, as if i'm visiting friends I wouldn't expect them to have her in their house.

This is referring to extremes. The "resident" dog in the photo is obviously neglected, underfed, chained and probably has little if any contact with people. Of course it is going to have issues due to the way it is kept.

Some outside only dogs are like that. A quick review of serious dog attacks in this country suggests that 'resident dogs' do exist here (well fed or not) and my opinion is that people may not realise that's what they've created in the pup they bought home.

How you expect a dog that gets less than an hour's attention a day to view you as part of its pack is debateable. The point to be made is that if you keep your dog physically isolated from you most of the time, the work you have to do to form and maintain a social bond is higher.

I'd not expect any member here with outside dogs to confront this issue. The fact that you're on a dog forum suggests that you don't view your dog as animated garden furniture. I think a hell of a lot of people do.

Edited by poodlefan

Some outside only dogs are like that. A quick review of serious dog attacks in this country suggests that 'resident dogs' do exist here (well fed or not) and my opinion is that people may not realise that's what they've created in the pup they bought home.

How you expect a dog that gets less than an hour's attention a day to view you as part of its pack is debateable. The point to be made is that if you keep your dog physically isolated from you most of the time, the work you have to do to form and maintain a social bond is higher.

I'd not expect any member here with outside dogs to confront this issue. The fact that you're on a dog forum suggests that you don't view your dog as animated garden furniture. I think a hell of a lot of people do.

mine use the garden furniture to their fullest advantage.

princesss.jpg

Edited by GayleK

i grew up on a farm where dogs were working dogs.. they lived in kennels and only came out to work and once they got to old to work were either sent to live with someone else (always so they were a long way from the farm) or they were pts..

i have always believed that a family animal belongs inside with the family but also needs access to outside and fresh air..

In Ireland, the terriers were farms animals as well but were also inside dogs. The kerry, for instance, was also a spit turner and both my kerries were fireside-sitting dogs, reflecting that heritage. I'm forever telling Mini during winter that burnt kerry isn't a nice smell.

I grew up on a rural property where there was (and are) about eight working dogs. Mum's two dogs has access to kitchen/living area but are penned at night. Dad's six dogs are never inside, they work anywhere up to a thousand head of cattle on two seperate properties about six thousand acres. Dogs are rotated and rested in order and in would be impossible for them kept inside the house for many reasons, aside from the fact my Father would point blank refuse to do it. I can't say they seem unhappy because they regularly get their "buzz" from working.

I'm considered soft as I have my dogs inside with us and my own philosphy is they are extended family (not saying I'm right, just my own philosophy) .

My 20 yo daughter has her dogs with her inside and pens them about 10pm at night .

Where we go, our dogs generally go, they have a fantastic life (even if I do say so myself) I always argue against the dogs are dirty theme because if one follows basic hygiene measures, treats their dogs for parasites etc it's okay. In fact, the human race carries more communicable diseases (no reverse zoonosis) than dogs.

The only dog that did not enjoy being inside, for other than half an hour, was (strangely enough) a rough collie that was a rescue (15 yrs ago?). She could in and out as she pleased but chose to be out most of the time, even if we were all inside.

My dogs live ouside, and i find Tutzleworms post offensive, pull your head in ! :D

I come from the uk, had all my dogs inside there.

I agree, certain dogs need to be inside.

I am a single mum ,and have kids, and i can't supervise 24/7, i also work from home.

My dogs live a great life, an hour twice a day offlead walks, they can see me from every room in the hous (yep, even the loo :shrug: ).

I am outside alot, and so are my kids.

For everyone's well being they live outside, perhaps when i am older and have no kids around they may come in.

Our dogs are inside dogs. I don't understand how you can get the companionship and company from an outside only dog.

My outside dog gives me plenty of 'companionship and company'. I spend a lot of time with him. Training him, walking him, just hanging out with him. I would like him to come in but that ain't going to happen, I would rather he be relaxed and content outside than stressed to the max inside. Would not be fair on him. He refuses to come IN the door, what am I supposed to do? Lug him inside and superglue him somewhere?

If him being outside 24/7 makes me a bad owner then so be it.

FWIW our little dogs are outside all day too.

Our first dog slept in the shed at night when she was a pup, then after a few months on the veranda, a while later the laundry, eventually our downstairs area and then our rooms or wherever the hell she wanted LOL. Our current 4 are inside dogs with access to outdoors whenever they want. Allowed upstairs at night, on beds, etc. Wouldn't have it any other way :shrug:

Our dogs are inside dogs. I don't understand how you can get the companionship and company from an outside only dog.

My outside dog gives me plenty of 'companionship and company'. I spend a lot of time with him. Training him, walking him, just hanging out with him. I would like him to come in but that ain't going to happen, I would rather he be relaxed and content outside than stressed to the max inside. Would not be fair on him. He refuses to come IN the door, what am I supposed to do? Lug him inside and superglue him somewhere?

If him being outside 24/7 makes me a bad owner then so be it.

FWIW our little dogs are outside all day too.

My apologies.

My post was in reference to people who leave their dogs in the backyard and don't want them inside at all.

The kind of people who want a dog, but not the work that goes into them.

Not you and your situation. My apologies.

I heard a cute story about an old farm dog yesterday.

The owner was preparing for the floods and brought the old dog inside and took her upstairs where she'd be safe from harm. Old girl had never set foot in the house and was clearly nervous and slightly stressed about being there. Owner left her there and went back to keep bringing things in and she said the next time she went back upstairs, here's the old dog, stretched out on the most comfy couch in the house, sound asleep like she was born to the life of an inside dog. LOL, just goes to show, they're never to old to be princesses.

I heard a cute story about an old farm dog yesterday.

The owner was preparing for the floods and brought the old dog inside and took her upstairs where she'd be safe from harm. Old girl had never set foot in the house and was clearly nervous and slightly stressed about being there. Owner left her there and went back to keep bringing things in and she said the next time she went back upstairs, here's the old dog, stretched out on the most comfy couch in the house, sound asleep like she was born to the life of an inside dog. LOL, just goes to show, they're never to old to be princesses.

Was it a DOLer who said that on their family property, the old working dogs graduate to being "verandah" dogs.. allowed on the big verandahs of the family home. :shrug: Given how much time folk spend out on the verandah, that sounds like a nice retirement.

Edited by poodlefan

No worries Parkeyre, and I'm sorry I chose your post to reply to. Could have picked one of several. :shrug: I just don't think people get that some dogs, despite the intentions and hopes? of owners, do not like being indoors. My outside boy has won his class at obedience, he is a velcro dog OUTSIDE.

I could never leave him there and not have any interaction with him. He has no desire to follow the little ones inside at night. He has a bed on the verandah and another in the enclosed carport.