Toowoomba Help For Pets In Need

Bullbreedlover

Yep - we could do 2 accounts if neccessary Stonebridge - Grant Frazer is the director of both hospitals although yes, they are technically separate. PM me if you want to discuss it further - I can always let you know when I talk to people at both clinics directly what they'd like...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a list of pics & descriptions on the Lockyer Council website of lost pets (dogs, cats, birds) presently impounded. Look at where a number were found, & the dates. Grantham, in the days following the tragedy that hit hard there. I wonder if these pets have actually been located at uni at Gatton. Heaven knows if their owners made it out, or didn't.

http://www.lockyervalley.qld.gov.au/commun...ol/lost-a-found

Edited by mita

Here's a list of pics & descriptions on the Lockyer Council website of lost pets (dogs, cats, birds) presently impounded. Look at where a number were found, & the dates. Grantham, in the days following the tragedy that hit hard there. I wonder if these pets have actually been located at uni at Gatton. Heaven knows if their owners made it out, or didn't.

http://www.lockyervalley.qld.gov.au/commun...ol/lost-a-found

All these dogs and pets are currently at the Uni still

None of the dogs brought in so far are microchipped

Some animals are claimed so probably not on the site

You have to realise

There are (to my knowledge) alot more people deceased than what they are saying. These people may be the owners of these dogs

I'm happy to put my name down for the Birman (she'll be able to sneak in under rego here) and the small parrots for fostering etc especially if they are still there around the 27th (i realise that the critters will be up for adoption at that time rather then pts)

Edited by KitKat

I am going to do an update soon.

It may be tonight it may be tomorrow

I have just spent an hour trying to get up the Toowoomba range coming home today.

I am tired, but good. Have been very busy.

I have a medical doggy case that I wish to put out there to people.

Have received so much support it is really really awesome.

I need to spend some time with my furkids and get some sleep

scooby aka debs

Thanks, SB. :laugh:

University of Qld News has an update article on all the rescued animals at their vet clinic at Gatton. Dated 17 January.

Lovely pic of a miniature horse foal that was orphaned by the floods when only days old.

http://www.uq.edu.au/news/?article=22522

More pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uqnews/sets/72157625841083366/

They didn't forget the mental health welfare of the animals & had a band of volunteers giving nurturing care:

We also had up to 20 people from Gatton and surrounding small towns volunteer to help care for the animals. We ran two-shifts each day with volunteers helping feed animals, walk dogs and clean out their housing,” Dr Doneley said.

Edited by mita

OK

A bit of an update and a heartache story with a happy ending for you all to read.

I went down to the Gatton Uni yesterday. And delivered an awesome amount of goodies. Big beef leg bones that my work kindly donated. Leads and collars, brushes and chew toys, dog food and kitty litter, cat food and horse pellets, bedding and towels.

They have had more animals come in and they have had some of the animals already in claimed.

My little van was almost bulging at the sides

:o :D

While I was in there I saw that they did now have alot of food, probably enough for quite awhile and I had a talk to the vet nurse and the vet and asked what else could WE as a collective bunch of awesome people do to help.

Now I know Flick Mac and I discussed briefly an option of collecting money to help towards any surgery /medical costs of any of the small/large animals involved in the floods.

I liked the idea but what I was weary of, was putting the money into the Uni bank and it all getting swallowed up with general stuff.

But I asked the vets whether or not they had any surgery cases in and they replied yes. They had at least 3 dogs come in with torn cruciates, some with genaral cuts and wounds and then Bob told me about "Scrappy"

And this is Scrappys story

While Mike and I were at the vets on Saturday we saw a very nice Kelpie bitch who had recently had abdominal surgery. As some of you will be aware hubby and I are avid kelpie lovers and I wondered whether or not this girl was involved in the floods or had been rescued.

Well as it turns out she was involved in the floods but the story has a bit of a tragic twist.

Scrappy belongs to a rural Fire and Rescue man by the name of Jeff. A man on a pension who volunteers his time for the rural services with fire , rescue and flood work. Jeff lives in a small town just down a bit from the main flood area.

At the time of the disaster the town in which Jeff lives started to flood. he had no word from his Fire and Rescue Service so he evacuated his small district and they all headed to Gatton to be safe.

Jeff came back in his ute with his two Kelpies tied on the back to see what the roads were doing and to try to help in any way he could with any rescue efforts in place. At this stage it was very near dark and he drove along a road, which totally unbeknown to him had been closed by someone in the rescue service. He had not known the road had been closed as he had not received any communication about it. All that was on the road, was a road closed sign. No lights on it. No vehicle parked on the roadside to warn people. Jeff hit the edge of this road sign but carried on driving.

Tragically he had no idea that part of this road sign had flown up and impailed Scrappy in the abdomen area.

He only had to drive another 5 minutes before he reached his destination. When he arrived and got out he then realised that Scrappy was very seriously injured.

By the time Jeff got Scrappy to the Uni Vet Scrappy had most of her intestinal area not where it should be.

The Vet, with the help of Jeff managed to operate on Scrappy and her recovery has been really good.

Unfortunately Jeff is now left with a large vet bill and being on a pension all he is able to do is pay the bill off as much as he can when he can.

When I talked to Jeff on the phone I could tell he was passionate about his dogs. Scrappy is 8 years old. She is by his side constantly and was going out with Jeff to try to look for survivors after the floods

Jeff is devastated that this has happened but the recovery for Scrappy is very promising and she is doing well.

So with this story and with the other storys of dogs coming in needing cruciate reconstruction if anyone would like to donate to help Scrappy or others in general that have needed surgery then please make contact.

I am happy at this stage to co ordinate any incoming donations. They will be recorded and receipted via email to anyone wishing to help.

Proof of moneys donated will be available should the donator wish to know what is happening.

If anyone is not happy with that and would like to donate directly to the Uni then you would need to get in contact with them.

It is just a suggestion.

You may like to still make a donation towards food of which I will still be happy to co ordinate.

The people of Grantham have been allowed back to their houses. Grantham, Murphys Creek, and Helidon people will take a long time to recover.

It is so wonderful to know that we as a collective group have helped to look after their pets and they will be cared for, for as long as is needed.

In the next couple of days I am hoping to get a picture of Scrappy and will post it up.

Thanks Stonebridge - It was nice to meet you yesterday even if I was caught up with the horses!

Mia - the little mini pony is going home today and was very hungry for her feeds overnight. The 4 horses that were trapped in their stables and almost drowned are slowly improving so we have our fingers crossed.

Poor little Scrappy - anything we can do I think we should Stonebridge - did you ask Bob if we are able to donate directly towards Scrappy's bill (or any other animal for that matter).

Thanks Stonebridge - It was nice to meet you yesterday even if I was caught up with the horses!

Mia - the little mini pony is going home today and was very hungry for her feeds overnight. The 4 horses that were trapped in their stables and almost drowned are slowly improving so we have our fingers crossed.

Poor little Scrappy - anything we can do I think we should Stonebridge - did you ask Bob if we are able to donate directly towards Scrappy's bill (or any other animal for that matter).

I was stretched for time to talk to Bob in detail about the surgery bill and I realise that confidentiality comes into play here. I was grateful that Bob gave me Jeff's number though. Bob was happy for me to co ordinate something in the way of a fund situation where we could deposit money in at times to help with their costs of other surgery and of course Scrappys bill

I know approximately how much the bill is and it is rather large and I said to Jeff that I will see what we can do. I said I cant make any promises.

There are other circumstances involved here that I cant go into but any money towards Scrappys bill would be gratefully appreciated by a man who is a volunteer who helps others.

I think at this stage I guess we should see how many people would help and whether or not it is worth opening an account somewhere. pms would be a great way for me to gauge the interest

As I said before though, if anyone wants to donate directly to the Uni then you would have to sort that out, but it would be great if you could let me know what the figure is so we can at least keep a running tally.

If either of you are talking to chief vet Bob, again, mention how the UQ Vet Clinic used to have an on-going Charity Fund. People could donate to it knowing the money would be used only to treat strays brought in or hardship cases. It was a good idea & a great way of honouring a loved pet when it died. Maybe they could consider resurrecting it.

There are other organisations which do something similar. Just an example: the Qld Country Women's Association collect ongoing donations for their Public Rural Crisis Fund. They can dip into at any time to provide for a country person or people, in an emergency (don't think it'd cover vet fees, tho!)

I was stretched for time to talk to Bob in detail about the surgery bill and I realise that confidentiality comes into play here. I was grateful that Bob gave me Jeff's number though. Bob was happy for me to co ordinate something in the way of a fund situation where we could deposit money in at times to help with their costs of other surgery and of course Scrappys bill

I know approximately how much the bill is and it is rather large and I said to Jeff that I will see what we can do. I said I cant make any promises.

There are other circumstances involved here that I cant go into but any money towards Scrappys bill would be gratefully appreciated by a man who is a volunteer who helps others.

I think at this stage I guess we should see how many people would help and whether or not it is worth opening an account somewhere. pms would be a great way for me to gauge the interest

As I said before though, if anyone wants to donate directly to the Uni then you would have to sort that out, but it would be great if you could let me know what the figure is so we can at least keep a running tally.

Onya, SB. It's thanks to you that we know about Scrappy's dreadful wounds & surgery. And also about the other dogs with cruciate injuries.

I'd be happy to contribute to Scrappy, in the first instance.

I agree with you, it's a case of figuring out how. If the uni sets up a specific fund, where the moneys are only directed to Scrappy and the others, it'd make it easy. And/or if the uni would accept donations that they'd put directly into Scrappy's account (or other dogs).

They may even be talking about the issue.

But ongoing huge thanks to you. It was great to read all you did with the money sent so far. Wonderful to know that the dogs are wearing nice new collars & have leads for being walked by the volunteers. And that the owners of pets in the evacuation centres were helped, too.

Nothing is better than knowing actual needs & having someone on the spot who so efficiently pulls it all together. :D

I have rung Gatton Uni but couldnt speak to the accounts lady. am waiting to hear back from her.

After thinking about it, if they are willing to set up a fund for Scrappy or even if they make a combined fund but you can put "Donate to Scrappy" or "Donate to rescued animals" in the message line when making a donation, then we can also go with that. It doesnt cost anything for people to make transfers from their bank accounts and I guess some people would prefer that rather than make a donation to a little known person like me who will then pass it on. That is perfectly understandable.

So after I hear back from her and see what she has to say I will post details on here and ozshow.

I still have money from donations and am waiting to do something with this.

Thanks everyone for all your support.