Stroke Or Brain Tumour In Boxer Dog

Caesars mum

Cross posted in Health thread also

Caesar went to the vet yesterday as he had facial paralysis and drooling.

The vet feels that it is either caused by a stroke as he is also blind in the left eye as well as the facial paralysis and head tilting.

The vet offered to refer him to have a CT or MRI to diagnose whether it was a stroke or the less likely cause of a brain tumour.

But after discussion we decided that finding out which one it is probably wont change the treatments at this time.

so we opted for an intravenious cortisone injection and see if he improves.

Apparently with a strokes we should see improvement within a week, but if it is a brain tumour he will probably go down hill fairly quickly (as the paralysis came on quickly)

and there is very little that can be done for either a stroke and he should improve and no real treatment for brain tumours, except to keep him comfortable until his time comes.

Caesar is and 8.5 year old Boxer and also suffers from pancreatitis and Chronic Renal Failure. He has also recently recovered from MCT operation.

Does anyone have experience with either brain tumours or strokes, please tell me your story, or if anyone has any advice.

Oh CM, I am so sorry :shrug:

It was likely that Harry had a brain tumour. He had a rapid change in behaviour (was uncharacteristically aggressive very randomly), one of his pupils was slow to react to light and he had a fair bit of neck pain (but this may have been unrelated). He went downhill really quickly, within a fortnight.

After much discussion with the vet, we decided to PTS - mostly because of his behaviour, but also because if it was investigated further the outcome probably wouldn't change.

I hope the cortisone makes a difference to Caesar.

Big hugs to you.

Edited by huga

:shrug: to you - sorry to hear about your boy

My brothers girl had a stroke which left her with a head tilt and some confusion - after treatment she did have a bit longer with them until unfortunately having another stroke a few weeks later.

This was Peaches after her first stroke

post-25263-1295040800_thumb.jpg

post-25263-1295040831_thumb.jpg

post-25263-1295040852_thumb.jpg

Very sad news.xxx

I've lost a dog due to stroke, he was 15 and I took him out for the toilet at bedtime and when I turned around he was laying on the grass, I knew straight away what it was as he was paralysed but looking at me etc. Took him to the vet at 11pm and we kept himm overnight to see how he went, but no good... :shrug:

the dog I lost to a brain tumour was 12, he showed symptoms for quite a while, walking crookedly, eating from only one side of his mouth, trouble all down his left side. At first I thought it was age, got him checked and it was a tumour. I kept him going for another couple of weeks, and took the time off work to spend every second with him, still miss him terribly,and then he could not do things so had to be PTS. Luckily I had both done at home in very 'loving and familiar' surroundings with all the family.

It seems either way you will have to prepare for the worse. So sad, very young dog. I would not get MRIs etc. done either, no point in putting him through anything else. See how the week goes, I do know with strokes some dogs can recover a little. A tumour will take it's course and there really is nothing that can be done ATM, there is work being done on certain treatments but it's pretty experimental ad not available in most places. It also sounds like he is already going downhll.

xxxxx :hug:

Thanks for the info guys, I think you have all confirmed my thoughts in that it is only time know.

He has been always been such a clown and always up for a play or swim. These days he lays on the bed outside and just seems to be watching. If you didn't know him you may not realise that there is anything wrong with him.

Could be either, but I'd go fo a brain tumour. Lots of boxers seem to develop tumours between 8 - 9.

Treat him like a prince, accept that his time may not be long, prepare for the worst, whilst hoping for the best.

My thoughts and good wishes are with you and him.

My 12 year old Toy Poodle Buddy had a stroke several months ago

we went to bed he was fine woke me in the morning falling on top of me

took a little while for me to realize there was a problem and he wasnt just being silly which he does on the bed

his head was shaking his eyes were flickering so quick he lost his vision and balance

he was rushed to the vet on arriving all his senses were returning

the vet thought stroke he was given a cortisone injection which should help him for about 6 months

Buddy has had no problems since

we were very lucky this time the vet has said he will probably have more