Rottie Pup - Doesn't Eat Much

erikajayne

So Carter is now nearly 6 months and is a joy, to think 4 months ago we nearly lost him!

We feed him Royal Canine Giant Puppy twice a day (we used to feed him raw meat but it didnt sit well with him!) We switched him to 100% kibble with some cooked meat if we had any left overs. In the last month or so he has stopped eating it, we come home from work around 6 pm and he wouldn't have touched it, same with his dinner (sometimes we sit and hand feed it to him!). He never was a big eater and would never jump around and get excited over food. Vet says he is fine and is of average weight (26.6 kilos) although not putting on weight as quickly as he has been.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Glad to hear he is doing well :laugh:

So- you leave the food there all day?

Has he finished teething?He may well be a sook and have a bit of a sore mouth ...

If he has been vet checked,and thee is no illness.....

I would suggest you offer him a fresh bowl of food.... moisten it with water to soften it beforehand ... leave him alone with it for 10 minutes...then remove it.

Next evening/morning offer him his bowl again...leave it for 10 minutes, and remove it.

Try that for a few days ..NO TREATS/BONES etc in between!!

Also - no handfeeding, or sitting with him.

be tough!

Edited by persephone

We had the same issues with Kuma. He'd eat a bit when he was young, but got to a point a few months ago where he wouldn't touch his food.

I sought advice from several people, all of whom I hold in high esteem (my vet, his breeder and a behaviouralist). The Behaviouralist suggested that we were pandering to him too much... he asked me if I cooked a meal for my husband and he sniffed and walked away, what would I do? I responded that I'd probably whack him one... His response was "well, the dog's doing the same thing".

On the suggestion of the behaviouralist, we got really tough with meal times. We feed him breakfast and give him 10 minutes to eat, anything that's not eaten is put in the fridge and served up at the next meal. Same goes with dinner. Also, new rules - Kuma has to sit, give eye contact on command and wait until being released to eat. He needed to understand that we provided the meals, and what we give him is what he eats.

He is now sooooooo excited about meal times - he does crazy zoomies when the kibble hits the bowl. He also now licks his bowl clean most days - any time he doesn't the left overs get served up to him at the next meal. He knows that he's got a finite time to eat and that's it. We also started to mix in some wet food into his kibble, and will be switching that to mince as soon as this lot of wet has run out. His meals are 80% kibble and 20% "additivies". Sure, we're still pandering to him a bit, but we feel his meals are still nuturitious and meeting his dietary requirements.

I know how scary it can be seeing a big dog that was growing quickly almost stop growing because they're not eating properly.

Good luck!

IMHO - I believe your pup needs natural calcium (soft bone at his age) for a large frame/boned growing dog.

How would you like to eat the same dry cornflakes every day for breaky & dinner??

Give him some nice fresh chicken necks / wings / frames for breaky and the dry food followed by a red meaty bone for dinner. Collect whats left of the bone in the morning and throw it away before feeding chicken again for breaky. Alternate every now and then for varitiety with a meaty lamb flap for breaky which has a higher fat content which all pups need.

As they grow their feeding requirements also change ie: less fat so then you can feed meaty kangaroo tails (no fat & no cholestrol) Chicken wings have the perfect fat/meat ratio for a Rottweiler.

Good luck with your little man. :laugh:

Rottsup IMO is spot on. Also try using chicken instead of the meat because as you said the raw meat didnt sit well while cooking the meats stripes it from alot of its nutrients which are useful and needed by the pup. Also try sticking by strict feeding times like earlier suggested. Put the food for 15 mins, if its left make him wait for the time for the next meal. He wont starve and will learn that there is a routine and strict feeding times..GL :)

he's a big dog for his age anyway and he's not going through baby puppy growth. I wouldnt worry unless he's turning into skin and bone.

As for hand feeding unless you want to do that the rest of his life just put the food down, come back 15 minutes later if its still there and he's not eating it jsut take it away until the next meal time.

How would you like to eat the same dry cornflakes every day for breaky & dinner??

A dog is not a human and for some reason we're obsessed with thinking this way. Its a dog, if the food is good for it it gets what it gets. My lot can eat the same thing for months and it always goes down faster then the bowl can even touch the floor. Instead of fiddling with a growing dogs diet as well is it not better the pup eats a premium dry all the time and is at least getting the right ratios of Calcium and phosphorous?

If raw meat has not sat well with the dog flooding it with raw meaty bones might either cause constipation, vomiting or obstruction. If anything I would be adding a spoon or two of minced carcasses, and up the amount every few days of consistent normal poos to let the digestive tract acclimatise itself to raw meat and bone digestion.

Thanks Nekhbet, I started to think she's getting bored of food :) You put it all back into perspective for me.

I'm having this issue with Tahli too, not that I hand feed or anything but sometimes she will sniff and walk away, other times she guts' it. I need to be more strict with timing.

I am so glad Carter is doing well now.

It is really common for many male Rottweilers youngsters to not be too fussed about eating.

In my experience with some of these boys it is less about what they are being fed ie fussiness and more about just not really being all that focused on food and being happy to get by on the smell of an oily rag.

If this is the case with your lad, I would suggest ensuring you are not allowing him to top up all day. Lots of small meals and treats are going to allow him to stay just full enough to never ever get truely hungry. Sadly it is really easy to fall into this trap when we worry about feeding with the youngies, I really do sympathise.

Let him get hungry, and then when it is time to feed, feed him on a balanced food (whatever it is you decide on) and then remove the bowl if he walks away from it. I tend to agree with nek about dogs and boredom with the same food.

I also find that putting less food in the bowl allows them to finish it without getting over whelmed with an obvious bowl full of less than they will eat. I find these non hungry types of dogs will not even bother trying to eat it if they think they won't get through it.

You know he is not going to eat a lot so down the amount you know he will eat or slightly less, but not until he is hungry.

And even though he is at a crucial age in development, it will not hurt him to skip a meal or 2 or even a day or 2 to get him hungry to kick start a new feeding plan.

I have been through this before. they do tend to grow out of it, but unless he never gets hungry, he will continue this way, particularly if he is being hand fed.

Lastly, I know it is hard, but try to remove your focus away from this eating issue as it will be stressing you which will not be helping. He is in a healthy weight range and provided he is being fed quality food which is correctly balanced and he is in good health, he will get to his finished state regardless.

If you find it is more about fussiness, a little grated cheese, goats milk or liver sprinkles mixed through a meal can help.

Best of luck. :)

Edited by dyzney

Some dogs are use to competition to eat ie the other pups.

You need to be the dogs comp by not leaving the food down ,don't be regimental of feed times either.Miss a meal here & there

Given his illness i dare say it has a big part to play with his desire for food & eating habits & a stomach maybe not ready for some foods.

When you gave him meat what kind was it ??Some are certainly more taxing on there tummies.

I have a young male here who has done the up/down weight thing,he is a good eater BUT he gets boy brains every so often,we are lucky though that we can feed him amongst the other dogs & he suddenly remembers his food but we don't pander if he doesn't eat tough luck.

On a side note our dogs eat the same food every day & thrive .

Are you feeding royal canin Rotti or puppy??

You could cook up pumpkin & mix through his meal,goats milk as mentioned is great

Thanks Guys!

We have had a small win! I bought some tinned meat for natures own (beef and gravy) and mixed a bit of this with his kibble (a smaller amount though) and the bowl was licked clean and this morning he had a chicken carcass. I have had people say I shouldn’t really be feeding tinned food as it is full of additives and preservatives but I guess he likes the extra beef taste. Does anyone have any good tinned food? I have bought some raw chicken to mix in.

Thanks Guys!

We have had a small win! I bought some tinned meat for natures own (beef and gravy) and mixed a bit of this with his kibble (a smaller amount though) and the bowl was licked clean and this morning he had a chicken carcass. I have had people say I shouldn’t really be feeding tinned food as it is full of additives and preservatives but I guess he likes the extra beef taste. Does anyone have any good tinned food? I have bought some raw chicken to mix in.

many people will add varying tin to there dogs meals.

I certainly have .

I believe there is a time to not pander but i also believe you have to educate a fussy/slow eating dog to eat .

We use the my puppy tin ,you can also add water to it & make it into a soup to pour over the meal.(small amount).

If he has enjoyed the chicken carcass& doesn't get the runs i would pursue that avenue more than the tin but in all honestly if it helps him get back into a good eating pattern donn't worry

It is really common for many male Rottweilers youngsters to not be too fussed about eating.

In my experience with some of these boys it is less about what they are being fed ie fussiness and more about just not really being all that focused on food and being happy to get by on the smell of an oily rag.

If this is the case with your lad, I would suggest ensuring you are not allowing him to top up all day. Lots of small meals and treats are going to allow him to stay just full enough to never ever get truely hungry. Sadly it is really easy to fall into this trap when we worry about feeding with the youngies, I really do sympathise.

Let him get hungry, and then when it is time to feed, feed him on a balanced food (whatever it is you decide on) and then remove the bowl if he walks away from it. I tend to agree with nek about dogs and boredom with the same food.

I also find that putting less food in the bowl allows them to finish it without getting over whelmed with an obvious bowl full of less than they will eat. I find these non hungry types of dogs will not even bother trying to eat it if they think they won't get through it.

You know he is not going to eat a lot so down the amount you know he will eat or slightly less, but not until he is hungry.

And even though he is at a crucial age in development, it will not hurt him to skip a meal or 2 or even a day or 2 to get him hungry to kick start a new feeding plan.

I have been through this before. they do tend to grow out of it, but unless he never gets hungry, he will continue this way, particularly if he is being hand fed.

Lastly, I know it is hard, but try to remove your focus away from this eating issue as it will be stressing you which will not be helping. He is in a healthy weight range and provided he is being fed quality food which is correctly balanced and he is in good health, he will get to his finished state regardless.

If you find it is more about fussiness, a little grated cheese, goats milk or liver sprinkles mixed through a meal can help.

agree with dyzney but its my female that does this. since her mum came home she definately eats quicker lol. but dyz can you tell kelari she is supposed to grow out of being fussy rofl, some days she still goes without meals but ya get that :) she will eat if she is hungry :hug:

agree with dyzney but its my female that does this. since her mum came home she definately eats quicker lol. but dyz can you tell kelari she is supposed to grow out of being fussy rofl, some days she still goes without meals but ya get that ;) she will eat if she is hungry :D

Oh I hear ya emery... man they can be frustrating.

Jag took til he was over 12 months before he decided to eat. :) He drove me nuts.

Luckily I have never had an issue with the bitches, but I do feel your pain. Give her a few more months... even perhaps try training in drive with food. I have managed to create food drive when food did not even drive the dog. Amazed me too ;)

One of my dogs isn't overly fussed on kibble either and its not cheap!!!

she likes the raw stuff a lot more then kibble but it goes soo quick with four dogs having to make and store your own.

Rather then used Can food try add some veggies, cottage cheese, sardines, salmon or something more natural that way its good for the dog and the dog will eat the kibble and hopefully take your worries away.

it doesnt have to be a lot.. just enough to entice the dog to eat its meal and coat some of the kibble.

if i had the money i would feed raw no questions but benifit of dry kibble is when it comes to training they are more motivated to work well with my two it works haha

good luck

* edited to add, they are motivated by meat*

Edited by catherine.b

I have a 6 year old bitch who I am sure was anorexic. The only way we could get her to eat anything was to lock her away and hope for the best. When she was 10 weeks I made the comment to my OH 'don't be surprised if she is dead in the morning'. She was skin and bone. Anyway to cut a long story, she hates dry food of any description. Since feeding raw, she is ravenous and I have never seen her so happy.

agree with dyzney but its my female that does this. since her mum came home she definately eats quicker lol. but dyz can you tell kelari she is supposed to grow out of being fussy rofl, some days she still goes without meals but ya get that :) she will eat if she is hungry :eek:

Oh I hear ya emery... man they can be frustrating.

Jag took til he was over 12 months before he decided to eat. :laugh: He drove me nuts.

Luckily I have never had an issue with the bitches, but I do feel your pain. Give her a few more months... even perhaps try training in drive with food. I have managed to create food drive when food did not even drive the dog. Amazed me too :)

wouldn't be a rotti if they couldn't play with our minds rofl