Doggie Dementia/ccd?

westiemum

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry to hear about Mac :( I know it's not soft at all but what about a Bunnings wire compost bin? I used one when Coop was a puppy as they are only about $20 I think?

Hi Bianca - thanks for the suggestion - but as Perse pointed out earlier (I didn't think of it} soft would be better for a dementing boy with deteriorating night sight, a tendency to pace at 3am...

I can find one of these used locally for $50.00 which seems a fair price. Its 130 cms in diameter, will fit next to the bed at a pinch, is as close to circular as Perse suggests as I can find, has no toxic materials and I could put a rug under it and a bed and blanket in there for him and he can move around at night without disturbing the whole house.

What do you think? What haven't I thought of?

These are a good idea but may be a little expensive--> http://www.zanui.com.au/Versatile-Playpen-Extension-17942.html?utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=price_comparison&utm_content=zanui&utm_campaign=products&wt_pc=au.price_comparison.myshopping.products.zanui.ad

I'll keep looking as it's raining and I'm stuck here at home and really wanted to go fishin' today

I'm sorry to hear about Mac :( I know it's not soft at all but what about a Bunnings wire compost bin? I used one when Coop was a puppy as they are only about $20 I think?

Hi Bianca - thanks for the suggestion - but as Perse pointed out earlier (I didn't think of it} soft would be better for a dementing boy with deteriorating night sight, a tendency to pace at 3am...

I can find one of these used locally for $50.00 which seems a fair price. Its 130 cms in diameter, will fit next to the bed at a pinch, is as close to circular as Perse suggests as I can find, has no toxic materials and I could put a rug under it and a bed and blanket in there for him and he can move around at night without disturbing the whole house.

oohh... this is the sort of thing I had in mind :)

LINK to Ebay Australia

LINK to Ebay Australia

I saw them as well Pers, they look good but they may tip over if WM's Mac tries to jump up on the side, though he will still be ok...the playpen will just be upside down with Mac still inside.

LINK to Ebay Australia

I saw them as well Pers, they look good but they may tip over if WM's Mac tries to jump up on the side, though he will still be ok...the playpen will just be upside down with Mac still inside.

Oh oops.

..could it not be placed against furniture or walls ? ....thought the little screen bits at nose/eye level might concentrate attention there , and not the top ...and so avoid aiming for the top ....

Hi P and B - thank you both so much - gee you've been busy - ok I've been narrowing it down to circular or hexagonal - thats really important for a dementing boy so he doesn't get caught in the corners. I'm also a bit wary of the fabric ones on ebay which I seriously considered, as they look like they might tip (some seem to need tent pegs which won't work in the bedroom). And with Macs rebuilt back end - he's a little vulnerable to injury.

And as its to go in my bedroom I've been tending to shy away from the really bright colours. Hence the hexagonal wooden one which seemed a bit more sturdy and stable even if it doesn't have the soft sides I'd prefer... but still very willing to be persuaded.

One thing I've learnt is there seems to be an untapped market here. smile.gif

Any further thoughts?

Edited by westiemum

That one is pretty good but what if he puts his front paws up onto the top...there seems to be no way to stop it tipping over. He also may just put his head on the walls and just push the pen all over the bedroom floor when he does his 3am exploring

Maybe you can stop it from tipping over by running a strap around the outside and attaching it to a wall bracket (or to the bed frame). You could use a ratchet tie-down strap from Crazy Clarks or Supercheap.

That one is pretty good but what if he puts his front paws up onto the top...there seems to be no way to stop it tipping over. He also may just put his head on the walls and just push the pen all over the bedroom floor when he does his 3am exploring

Maybe you can stop it from tipping over by running a strap around the outside and attaching it to a wall bracket (or to the bed frame). You could use a ratchet tie-down strap from Crazy Clarks or Supercheap.

Gee you guys are clever... theres one of these that is higher - let me find it...

Why not get a kids portacot (stable mesh sides) and pad the corners with pillows or have some foam cut to make it more oval shaped? My toddler can stand up and shake the sides and its very stable.

Hi Puddleduck - thanks for popping by - yes I like the idea of a portacot and I saw some on gumtree which were very reasonably priced - and I liked the idea of the floor in them and their height would be easier on my back - but having no experience with them whatsoever, I was unsure whether the mesh would stand up to him, the floor would be stable enough and whether or not it would be big enough? He doesn't need a paddock but needs to be able to take a step or two and turn around to 'nest'... and yes the pillows is a really good idea - and I have tons of those!

So do you think they would be big enough, is the floor stable enough for him to walk on without falling over and do you think the mesh would be strong enough?

Thanks tons PD... as I said I know absolutely nothing about them...smile.gif

Maybe you will have to get one of this design (I think it is Pers' pick) at least it has a floor so you could place it near a corner and put a heavy weight on it or push one side under your bed (if your bed is high enough http://www.crazysale...CFUw3pgod4hMAUA

also this one as well http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/271180166209?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&clk_rvr_id=489026825546&crlp=1_262691_262711&UA=L*F%3F&GUID=3f31920f13e0a5edcdd43bf4fff7678d&mt_id=641&query={query}&fitem=271180166209&linkin_id=8077022&kw={query}&crdt=0&sortbid=21&ff4=262691_262711

Edited by Boronia

Westiemum, how does Mac go at being in an enclosure ? Three of my dogs had dementia, and not one of them like being enclosed they would get frantic. Maybe with Mac, the portacot being round, might help.

Edited by Marion 01

Westiemum, how does Mac go at being in an enclosure ? Three of my dogs had dementia, and not one of them like being enclosed they would get frantic. Maybe with Mac, the portacot being round, might help.

Thanks Marion - it's a good thought - which is why I'm thinking of the cheapest but still safest solution possibly to start with is the way to go, in case it doesn't work - I really don't need to get stuck with more new unusable dog paraphernalia at the moment. So a $20 Portacot, Steelcraft (which has good reviews) with see-through mesh all around from Gumtree, is winning at the moment. But I have to do something - the pacing is killing my sleep and I have to work... but I so don't want to banish him from the bedroom if I can find another solution...

ETA Make that $10 from a close by suburb... smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

Thanks Marion - it's a good thought - which is why I'm thinking of the cheapest but still safest solution possibly to start with is the way to go, in case it doesn't work - I really don't need to get stuck with more new unusable dog paraphernalia at the moment. So a $20 Portacot, Steelcraft (which has good reviews) from Gumtree is winning at the moment. But I have to do something - the pacing is killing my sleep and I have to work... but I so don't want to banish him from the bedroom if I can find another solution...

It's so hard, trying to think of ways to keep them safe and comfortable at the same time. Is there another med other than vivitonin that would help his pacing.