Doggie Dementia/ccd?

westiemum

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a good night tonight - hopefully you will be able to sleep knowing Mac is on the mend. Great news.

Thanks Rosetta. smile.gif I will sleep well tonight. But I feel like a kid the night before Christmas - it'll be such a gift to have my little man home. thumbsup1.gif

He is Perse. And he's had fantastic care at Anzac Highway. They have been so lovely with him. I'd forgotten but this is the third surgery this surgeon has done for him - he's a bit of a surgical case study! laugh.gif

Surely that would mean his next surgery would be free? :laugh:

He is Perse. And he's had fantastic care at Anzac Highway. They have been so lovely with him. I'd forgotten but this is the third surgery this surgeon has done for him - he's a bit of a surgical case study! laugh.gif

Surely that would mean his next surgery would be free? :laugh:

I wish! :laugh:

Fantastic news. :thumbsup: So pleased to hear little Mac is doing so well. You must be so relieved Westiemum. :)

Yep you wouldn't believe how relieved I am - and sooo excited to see him again. I've just rung Anzac Highway and he's coming home tonight!!! WooHoo! He's 'doing very well' , weeing, pooing, swallowing and eating - and they are very impressed that he eats everything they put in front of him after major throat surgery - that's my boy!

Will post some pics tonight or tomorrow. Thanks everyone. Happy tears! :cry:

Edited by westiemum

Well we're home! He's animated, trotting around, tail up and seems very pleased to be here. As a former puppy farm boy I don't think he likes the vet cages much. I picked up an elevated dog bowl on the way home to get his neck into a better position to help protect his open airway. It worked really well and he looked very stable and comfortable as he ate his dinner. I've cooked up some mashed sweet potato and with some mince and he ate well without problems. So much so I'll give him a small piece of his favourite blue cheese for dessert! The other two got gourmet dinner as well.

He's lying quietly and comfortably on the lounge next to me with the other two westies. All is right with the world.thumbsup1.gif

Thanks Rosetta - he was very restless to start with last night and I thought 'oh no, here we go again' frown.gif So I put him on the floor and he paced for a while. Then he seemed to stop so I put him back on my bed and he went 'bang' , lay down and slept through the night. He was sleeping like the dead when I woke him for his pills this morning. So heres hoping for more relatively peaceful nights, smile.gif

Really pleased he is feeling better Westiemum, Mac's is another thread I follow closely and have learned so much. He sounds like such a great little guy.Give him a gentle pat from all here.

Thanks coogie and bianca - yes its marvellous to have him home (and my lovely boss who let me work from home today - I got a stack done! thumbsup1.gif).

Coogie Mac has taught me sooo much too as have my extraordinary DOLer friends. And there's so little for dogs with dementia that I think practical threads like this might help those doggies that come after him - and people have been so extraordinarily generous with their ideas, support and advice.

Mac seems comfortable today - bright eyed, with it and more stable. He's pottering around and his new elevated dog bowl appears to be working well. Wish I'd thought of these years ago - they make intrinsic sense. For anyone who is interested I bought a Dogit 900ml elevated dog bowl from Petstock - not cheap but works well for him and is easy to clean.

His 'grandmother' very kindly arrives in the morning to take over Mac-sitting duties for the next two days, so he's not unsupervised until I'm confident his now permanently unprotected airway is not going to cause him a problem. (As a former Speechie, these things make me very nervous!).

Bedtime. Here's hoping for another peaceful night. smile.gif

So glad to hear Mac is still going well. :)

My poor Maisie isn't doing so well. She has lost a bit of weight and has gone back to her loopy ways. :( Last night she was on my bed and I heard this chewing noise - turned the light on and she was chewing the blanket on my bed! I said 'Maisie! Maisie stop!' and she ignored me and kept chewing. I tapped her on the bum and she spun around like 'Oh you were talking to me'. Her hearing is pretty good so it was like she forgot her name. :( She sat up and looked at me and for the first time, I saw her as an old dog. :( Made me feel so sad. She is still on all the meds and supplements but nothing seems to be helping anymore.

For the first time in a couple of weeks, Mac slept soundly all night in his bed next to mine until he got up for a wee at 6.30 this morning. He took himself off to bed last night and was perfectly happy in his bed next to mine all night. He's happy and trotting around with ears forward and his tail up.

All good! thumbsup1.gif

So glad to hear Mac is still going well. :)

My poor Maisie isn't doing so well. She has lost a bit of weight and has gone back to her loopy ways. :( Last night she was on my bed and I heard this chewing noise - turned the light on and she was chewing the blanket on my bed! I said 'Maisie! Maisie stop!' and she ignored me and kept chewing. I tapped her on the bum and she spun around like 'Oh you were talking to me'. Her hearing is pretty good so it was like she forgot her name. :( She sat up and looked at me and for the first time, I saw her as an old dog. :( Made me feel so sad. She is still on all the meds and supplements but nothing seems to be helping anymore.

Oh kirty I'm so sorry to hear that. How old is Maisie???

I know exactly what you mean by suddenly seeing them as 'old'. Suddenly Mac is looking old too. frown.gif I know he is old at almost 14, but its hard to come to terms with the fact that our time is now limited relatively and I need to be prepared.

Could you maybe try some different or new meds for Maisie??