Dog Has Stopped Walking

My dog has suddenly stopped walking with me. She gets all excited to go and we go 20 metres one way and she puts the brakes on and refuses to walk. We turn around and go the other way and about 20mtrs the other side past our house she stops.

She walks with my OH and other dog when I'm not there, but if me and OH go together she refuses to walk.

We thought it was the heat, I just took her out this morning and it was cool and she stopped. Again

I have tried cool days, I have tried carrying her, pulling her, using treats, waiting with her and I don't know what else to do.

We were walking them together and there was thunder (which she is scared of) and she turned around and refused to walk that day, but me and OH were together. Could that be it? or

3 weeks ago she was pulling me on my rollerblades with our other dog and I fell over (I didn't hurt them at all) and I cracked my tail bone. There was a lot of crying and limping back home. But my OH was with me and he took the dogs straight away. Please don't lecture me on the dangers of having them pull me - I know that. I just need anybody's help on how I can rewalk with my dogs. Did that scare her? She is very attached to me.

She is a JRT and a little bit wimpy/woosy/scaredy cat type dog but I am absolutely stuck for ideas?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks from me and Pumpit :laugh:

Cruciate ligament or other issues could be causing this. One of my dogs would be excited about walking and then stop and refuse to go on, went to the vet and it turned out he had a knee issue.

It could be the thunder.

Have you taken her to an entirely different location, by car, to see if she'll walk somewhere else? If so, then I think it would be something she associates with your locality, ie thunder.

She walks with my OH and other dog when I'm not there, but if me and OH go together she refuses to walk.

Sounds like she's had a couple of bad experiences and you're the completely innocent common denominator. One way or another, you're associated with it. Dogmad's suggestion of going somewhere by car is a good one. You need to find a way to build up the positive experiences again so she knows she is safe with you.

Cruciate ligament or other issues could be causing this. One of my dogs would be excited about walking and then stop and refuse to go on, went to the vet and it turned out he had a knee issue.

Something like this would surely mean that the dog just wouldn't want to go for walks at all.. not the dog being willing to walk with one person but not another.

Sounds like you need to rebuild her trust and she got a bit scared. You need to try and make it exciting and fun for her so she can look past the fear. Taking her somewhere different is good :laugh:

Sounds like a trust thing. If you're struggling to get things going again you might like to ask a Behaviourist to come and have a look at the situation and see what they think about solutions.

My JRT displayed this behaviour for some unknown reason recently. She would walk a certain distance and then stop, I decided to just pick her up and carry her a short distance. Put her down and she was fine. What ever it was didn't spook her again. No trouble walking past that area anymore

My Sashy gets to a certain part of a street, and refuses to walk down the footpath any further. I always have to cross the road and she is more than happy to walk on the other side of the road. So I cross, walk for 10 metres then have to cross back to get to the park :o People must think I'm strange. For other people she doesn't always do that though... Sometimes, but not always.

I think it's because she has been startled a few times by the little dogs in there barking at her, or because when she ran away that's the way OH dragged her home (and she knew she was in trouble).

I don't know... but try something different. Driving and then walking is a good idea. I'm sure she will get past it in time. Having you fall over and cry may have really upset her and she doesn't want to repeat that. Build up her confidence again, let her see it's not going to happen every time you walk and hopefully she will be all good. :D

Edited by Kelly_Louise

Sounds like a confidence thing.. she's more confident with your OH and the other dog in the 'pack'.

Confidence can be built and the better the bond between you and your dog the better. If you haven't attended any training with her, I think this would help.

Otherwise, baby steps. Keep persevering. Get your OH to drop you off some distance from home and walk back there. It might help.

Edited by poodlefan

Have you taken her to an entirely different location, by car, to see if she'll walk somewhere else? If so, then I think it would be something she associates with your locality, ie thunder.

dogmad, I didn't think to do that. Now I'm all excited waiting for it to cool down so I can put her in the car (which she does love) and see how we go from there. And otherwise it will be up early (which she gets up early as well, so it's not like I wake her up to walk her) to try in the morning.

Aidan2 and Bundy's Mum - thank you. You are (hopefully) probably both right. I need to be postive and make it exciting again. I am also quite wary of taking them out thinking 'is she going to walk with me?' Maybe I should be thinking 'she WILL walk with me"

I am still open to any other advice/suggestions/help

thanks

If you haven't attended any training with her, I think this would help.

Otherwise, baby steps. Keep persevering. Get your OH to drop you off some distance from home and walk back there. It might help.

I haven't been to formal training with her, but she is a very obedient dog. She does everything I say (and she doesn't listen to my OH). I also like that idea of being dropped off and walking home.

I have tried crossing the street, that didn't work.

Now I'm just waiting for the weather to cool down.

I would try the take you and her to a location by car and the walk her home from there, somewhere she has not been before. I would think a confidence thing as well.

You could possibly try using rescue remedy with her prior to the walks and that may help reduce anxiety if that is what the issue is.

Goodluck

dogmad, I didn't think to do that. Now I'm all excited waiting for it to cool down so I can put her in the car (which she does love) and see how we go from there. And otherwise it will be up early (which she gets up early as well, so it's not like I wake her up to walk her) to try in the morning.

My excitement was very short-lived. Got her all excited, put her in the car, drove to some different streets, got her out and she looked at me and stopped.

End of Walk!!!!

Maybe tomorrow I'll try again, this time taking her to a park?

DON'T GIVE UP DON'T GIVE UP DON'T GIVE UP DON'T GIVE UP :o

it seems she has got used to not walking with you. maybe go back to basics. use food or toys to motivate her forward. maybe a little push behind hind legs to make her move forward if nothing works i would be getting in a professional so the behaviour doesn't get ingrained

My dog does that but it's more a protest thing if we're not going the way she wants to (aaah how I love bull terriers). One word, patience. I just out wait her and she gets tired of sitting there, then off we go! 10 minute walks have be known to take 30 but she gets better all the time...

good news :thumbsup: :D :rofl:

last night me and OH took Pumpit and Blister out and Pumpit stopped on the footpath - just outside our house!!! OH picked her up and crossed the road and went through the bush (we don't normally go thru the bush in summer due to snakes.). She started wiggling in his arms to be put down. Put her down and walked thru the bush to the park and played happily off lead with our other dog.

Came home along the footpath and tried to deviate up the street away from home and she stopped. Would not move. Headed back to home and was happy.

And this morning OH was going to go thru the bush again and she wanted to walk up the footpath so he let her lead and off she went tail wagging (I wasn't with them)

I still think it is me, but at least she is walking and hopefully I will be able to take her to the park by myself.

THANK YOU to all who helped me with some solutions. I can not thank you enough

There IS hope ;)