Anyone Do Any Water Training Here

newfsie

We have been doing a lot of Water Training. I hope to be able to do a basic Water Rescue Test, eventually. But I am only training from a book.....Has anyone any experience. So far we are going quite well. But I would love to meet someone else into water training/rescue

We do a lot of Dry-land work in retrieving. And lots of "take it", "hold It", "give it"...........

2250515270048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

Tessa

2265121590048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

Katy

2593036750048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

Annabelle and Tessa "saving" Mike

2605528250048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

Pulling Mike back in

2048454430048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

Katy "take it" to Mike

2843366860048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

Katy "Saving" Mike

Edited by newfsie

I know nothing about it either, have never heard about it, but am really very interested in hearing more about it. Who organises it - do you work with one of the emergency services? Is it a common thing in Aussie? And what kind of standard must the dogs & handlers reach before they are allowed to be deployed - who sets the standards?

• 2 months later...

Haven't heard of it, but just wondering if it's actually safe for the dogs? If they are supposed to go out and rescue people in the water, what happens if the person in the water is panicking and will grab onto anything to get out of the water? That means the dog gets pushed under and will possibly drown...

The channel 7 show Extraordinary Dogs (Eukanuba's show?) did a segment on the Italian coast guard and how they use dogs for rescue. There were newfies in there amongst other dogs. Absolutely amazing! They train to jump out of helicopters into the water from meters up too!

You can stream it from the channel 7 website.

haha - that's awesome, my lab Boonie is the opposite - he'll swim out to me then climb on to my shoulders for a rest.

F - :)

N - I think that would be great fun and an awesome skill to teach and moreover, utilise. Great work. Great idea.

You can teach your dog to take out a life vest and/or tube or line and they do not have to go near the swimmer. Also you do not send your dog alone. The rercuer person stays with the dog or nearby for the dogs safety.

I am trying to teach my dog to take out a line at present........Still a little confusing.

When we were at a beginners water session last weekend ( newfie club), our katy was very worried when another dog growled at her, She thought she was not allowed in the water anymore. But after some ebncouragement from hubby in wet-suit she was happy again.

We will keep on training, we love it :)