I would think anyone who shows a dog wouldnt be in the game of

breeding and selling x bred dogs and cats

Maybe i am wrong, but thought someone in here might know that answer

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had experience of one registered breeder breeding cross bred litters of dogs, not her breed though. She was breeding maltxshih to fund her breeding program. Was a very long time ago now.

I don't think it is a 'normal' thing.

I've heard of some breeders breeding bitches every season, but only registering every second litter. I don't have experience of this.

Is this an unusual practice?

As i only do rescue i would assume so

the ankc allow this as long as they are not cross breeding ankc registered dogs

I guess I just find it a bit disturbing

our pounds are full of x bred puppies that get PTS daily

to intentionally x breed dogs just doesnt sit well in my stomach as it is, but

to do it when ur also a registered breeder and show dogs just seems a bit out of

the ball park.

If it is for money i find that horrible to do

I would like to think they were ethical enough to desex the x bred pups and kittens before

they go to new homes

I learnt something new today.

thanks for answer everyone ;)

Is this an unusual practice?

As i only do rescue i would assume so

the ankc allow this as long as they are not cross breeding ankc registered dogs

Sadly, this is correct.

If the cross breeding is happening with unregistered dogs, the ANKC don't want to know.

Maybe email and play unsuspecting puppy buyer and see if the parents have papers? And forward this proof to their state body?

oh i feel the same when i see bitches in rescue allowed to whelp ;)

that doesnt bother me as the rescue didnt breed her and

the pups will be desexed before rehome, but i understand what your saying

but to intentionally do it when u r a registered breeder?

thought we only had to edcuate the general public about BYB and puppy farming, but

obvioulsy not

I would just think it gives good ethical breeders a bad name and that isnt right

thought we only had to edcuate the general public about BYB and puppy farming, but

obvioulsy not

I would just think it gives good ethical breeders a bad name and that isnt right

i get quite upset that the ankc has no problems with this and also seems to do little to clean up it's backyard from less than desirable breeders.

obvioulsy not

You can't give a "good ethical breeder a bad name". Only they can do that for themselves by NOT being "good ethical breeders" to begin with.

Sadly being a "Registered Breeder" doesn't necessarily mean you are "ethical".

It happens, it's like the code of ethics doesn't extend ALL the way to the boundaries of animal ownership. I used to subscribe to the Ozshow email list (I think that was it, showies and breeders mostly bragging about their wins), and I quit it because there was a regular poster to that group who owned a pet shop that sold cross bred puppies, and that didn't sit well with me.

I also used to be a very high profile poster on Cat World....the cat version of DOL, as I have pedigree cats. I quit that because of the double standards displayed there by some of the breeders......one in particular who breeds Birman cats and has a disclaimer on her website that she will only sell her kittens desexed and do not ask for anything else blah, blah, blah, and yet she saw absoliutely nothing wrong with an impulse purchase of a backyard bred shittypoopinschnoodlepup which she bragged about buying one Sunday afternoon when she was out with her husband for a weekend jaunt.

And when I made my feelings about her hypocrisy known, the posts were removed. So no more Cat World for me.

It really, really annoys me. To me, these people ARE NOT ethical breeders of anything, as their "ethics" extend only as far as they absolutely have to to enable them to get what they want.

Edited by GayleK

isnt x breeding against the Code of Ethics? Surely the canine council can do something...

is this reguarly happening, or was it perhaps an oops litter? like they have 2 breeds and one accidently got to the other?

as long as the dogs are not ankc registered dogs the ankc don't care

a registered breeder can bred 100 litters of cross breeds a year if they want and the ankc won't do a thing if its not their registered dogs

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

I'd think that any registered breeder who also deliberately crossbred to make 'novelties' for sale, wouldn't be too bright about the purebreds they also bred.

Double whammy to their reputation.

Recently, the Guardian newspaper listed things that their 'inventor' lived to regret.

First on the list was an interview with the man in Melbourne who first crossed labs & poodles, hoping to get a better Guide Dog. The labradoodle.

He says he regrets doing it, because it led to some people discovering 'novelty' sells. And they started making all sorts of inappropriate crosses & selling the dogs at inflated prices. His quote: I'm on a pension & live in a little shoebox flat. If I'd gone into breeding oodles for a living, I'd be on easy street. But there was no way I'd do that. My conscience wouldn't let me.

Another quote: So many of them have problems. I believe one third of the dogs bred today are the poodle crosses. People say aren't you proud of yourself, & I say no. Not in the slightest. I've done so much harm to pure breeding and made these charlatans quite rich.'

Guardian Weekly 17.12.10

Full article here. Note they've put it in their Science section. ;)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/nov...ors-idea-regret

Edited by mita

If the breeding dogs are registered, it is against the ANKC ethics.

I think you should report the person, with a description of what is happening with name address, and if you know it, kennel prefix, to the state CC. If you are not sure how to contact the CC, www.ankc.com.au will bring up the AnkC site, and you can pick up the state CCs addresses, phone nos and email addresses from there.

If unethical behaviours such as this are reported the CCs get an idea about some breeders, and then, if any regulations are breached, they will take immediate action because they have already received notice of the behavior of the breeder. And the CCs do and will act against shonky behaviour.

I'd also like to point out that the ANCK can do nothing about breeders breeding cross breds with unregistered dogs, as they can do nothing about breeders breeding cats, llamas, al pacas, fish or horses. They only area where they are able to take a stand is in the area of purebred dogs which are pedigreed with the ANKC. To do anything about cross bred unregistered dogs is taking liberties with the Fair Trading Act.

Which is why these people should be reported to the state CC - nothing may be able to be done about it, but the CC then has a warning flag on that breeder.

And breeders who are flagged are watched. :(

And I certainly wouldn't be purchasing from anyone who is also breeding x breds. That speaks volumes about their ethos and interest in purebred dogs!!

There are breeders and breeders.

Edited by Jed

I think you should report the person, with a description of what is happening with name address, and if you know it, kennel prefix, to the state CC. If you are not sure how to contact the CC, www.ankc.com.au will bring up the AnkC site, and you can pick up the state CCs addresses, phone nos and email addresses from there.

If unethical behaviours such as this are reported the CCs get an idea about some breeders, and then, if any regulations are breached, they will take immediate action because they have already received notice of the behavior of the breeder. And the CCs do and will act against shonky behaviour.

Thank you :(

Will do some more research :laugh:

it is not unethical behaviour according to the ankc if the dogs are not registered with the ankc so i am not sure what the ankc would do about this

Thank you :laugh:

Will do some more research :laugh:

Sorry, Bartok, ran off at the mouth and added more after you had posted!! My apologies, but I guess it didn't matter much. :(

But, please, do report. Don't worry if it appears nothing happens.

Grubs who cross breed for money while hiding behind CC registration are giving the finger to the real breeders of this country, and anything anyone can do to stop them is a bonus!!

Report and be damned!!

sorry JB, edited my post and added some information on the ANKC and Fair Trading while you were posting. I forgot to put it in the original. ANKC basically can't do anything unless the dogs are registered with them