Which Is The Most "dog Friendly" State.

Keira&Phoenix

So after doing some research over the last few weeks I have come to the realisation (I already sort of knew anyways) that QLD is really not very dog friendly. 50 percent of the State is some sort of National Park or protected forest I think they need to be protected but there are not many nice areas that cater for you to go on nice "bushwalks" with your four legged friends. Its illegal to have your dog in the outdoor areas of cafes and restaurants due to hygiene laws, And we don't really have many dog friendly activity centres etc in the State. Dog beaches seem to be becoming less and less. I feel like if they make anymore laws we won't be able to have dogs here at all.

So basically I was wondering what are other State's are like? What sort of places can you take your dog? Are there good walking tracks? Are there activity centres etc?

I wonder why in comparison to places like New Zealand and America we are so much more dog unfriendly here?

Oh and if anyone in Queensland has any suggestions on good walking tracks you can go with your dogs please let me know! Anywhere within 2 hours of Brissie area :(

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why in comparison to places like New Zealand and America we are so much more dog unfriendly

Because peoplein Australia chose to ruin it for the law abiding dog owners.

I have read on DOL all to often of late those people who believe "No dogs in room" doesn't apply to them so they break that rule.

Onleash for some means Offleash

Offleash park means there dog has the right to do what it wants.

If people can't follow simple laws already set down then it becomes harder & harder.

I work in the dog industry & i see how a small percentage try & treat us.Turn up with no leads & figure the dog can run everywhere & piss up our outdoor settings/BBQ,it can poo on the front lawn & not picked up or even a simple i am sorry but i don;t have a bag on me.

Across the road from us is a bush area,we have seen people turn up,let there dogs go feral in there ,even attack a Kangaroo to the point it was dying & drive off like nothing happened.

I have been to the UK where dogs are allowed every where & saw the very best & the absiloute worse of dog owners & the worse was simply :(

The worse where at Cafes & lets just say we chose not to eat there due to what some dog owners allowed there dogs to due

Well I can tell you it's also not NSW. There are no dog friendly beaches there where you can go swimming with your pooch. Legally, they are not supposed to be anywhere near cafes etc and places that do allow you to have them outside actually get in trouble for it. There are however, a few good offleash spots.

Having just moved to Adelaide, I am loving the fact that I can go to the beach and swim with my dog and I hope it never changes. I have not seen anyone inconveniencing everyone else yet with their dog, so hopefully there won't be any complaints and nothing will change.

I think the ACT is pretty good in the scheme of things. Lots of offleash areas, not just fenced--local ovals, reserves, equestrian trails. From my house it's a 5 minute on leash walk to three different offleash areas. Can swim at certain spots in the lakes and rivers when they are clean enough. No BSL. A good network of volunteers, rescuers and foster carers. Our local cafes don't seem to have a problem with dogs. There are a few dog obedience clubs, whose members can use their grounds for free running.

Because peoplein Australia chose to ruin it for the law abiding dog owners.

I have read on DOL all to often of late those people who believe "No dogs in room" doesn't apply to them so they break that rule.

Onleash for some means Offleash

Offleash park means there dog has the right to do what it wants.

If people can't follow simple laws already set down then it becomes harder & harder.

I work in the dog industry & i see how a small percentage try & treat us.Turn up with no leads & figure the dog can run everywhere & piss up our outdoor settings/BBQ,it can poo on the front lawn & not picked up or even a simple i am sorry but i don;t have a bag on me.

Across the road from us is a bush area,we have seen people turn up,let there dogs go feral in there ,even attack a Kangaroo to the point it was dying & drive off like nothing happened.

I have been to the UK where dogs are allowed every where & saw the very best & the absiloute worse of dog owners & the worse was simply :laugh:

The worse where at Cafes & lets just say we chose not to eat there due to what some dog owners allowed there dogs to due

I agree Showdog that many irresponsible owners ruin it for those of us who ARE responsible and just want to be able to take our dogs places with us. But as you have just said in the UK there are clearly irresponsible owners but it hasn't seemed to caused the same issues as here in Australia, we are SO up tight about some things. I just feel the Government doesn't put any effort into educating people about responsible pet ownership. They can spend millions on all sorts of wasteful advertising but have done nothing about pet ownership instead they just make this law and that law to the point where our dogs won't be able to leave our backyards in 20 years time.

Governments love to have parking inspectors so why not slacken up the laws and allow dogs in more public places but have people that go around and can fine you if you aren't being responsible about having your dog in public, more revenue and the Government LURVES revenue.

Well I can tell you it's also not NSW. There are no dog friendly beaches there where you can go swimming with your pooch. Legally, they are not supposed to be anywhere near cafes etc and places that do allow you to have them outside actually get in trouble for it. There are however, a few good offleash spots.

Having just moved to Adelaide, I am loving the fact that I can go to the beach and swim with my dog and I hope it never changes. I have not seen anyone inconveniencing everyone else yet with their dog, so hopefully there won't be any complaints and nothing will change.

I didn't realise NSW was so bad.

I think the ACT is pretty good in the scheme of things. Lots of offleash areas, not just fenced--local ovals, reserves, equestrian trails. From my house it's a 5 minute on leash walk to three different offleash areas. Can swim at certain spots in the lakes and rivers when they are clean enough. No BSL. A good network of volunteers, rescuers and foster carers. Our local cafes don't seem to have a problem with dogs. There are a few dog obedience clubs, whose members can use their grounds for free running.

Yes from what I have heard ACT is probably the least dog restrictive place in Australia and I have heard it said its probably because it is where all the Pollos are, seems like a fair conclusion. I have also heard Melbourne is much better then Brisbane etc.

It just makes me sad that for a country that prides itself on our laid back relaxed culture we really are quite uptight when it comes to certain things. And every year life gets a bit most restricted due to all sorts of new laws being put into place.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

Hmm when I say NSW, I lived in Sydney, and I've no doubt there's a good chance things were very different outside of Sydney. I mean in Sydney they had so many inspectors that you could get booked for having your dog on a sewerage beach that was otherwise empty...

Unfortunately though, with my line of work, I have to live in a big city and in Australia that doesn't seem to be as good as pets.

Edited by jacqui835

Yes from what I have heard ACT is probably the least dog restrictive place in Australia and I have heard it said its probably because it is where all the Pollos are, seems like a fair conclusion. I have also heard Melbourne is much better then Brisbane etc.

Most politicians don't live in Canberra. They have somewhere here to stay when parliament is in session and the rest of the time they spend in their family homes in Sydney, Brisbane, etc. :laugh: It's still restrictive in terms of dog laws... it's just that there are some people out there who obviously think it's worthwhile having dog off leash areas.

One thing I liked about Brisbane when I was up there was that there were heaps of fenced off leash areas. I know some people hate them, but one of my dogs has questionable recall at times so I visited a few in off peak times when we were the only ones there. He had fun rolling in the mud.

I think the ACT is pretty good in the scheme of things. Lots of offleash areas, not just fenced--local ovals, reserves, equestrian trails. From my house it's a 5 minute on leash walk to three different offleash areas. Can swim at certain spots in the lakes and rivers when they are clean enough. No BSL. A good network of volunteers, rescuers and foster carers. Our local cafes don't seem to have a problem with dogs. There are a few dog obedience clubs, whose members can use their grounds for free running

I agree. The dog parks here seem pretty nice and I like the Forde one a lot. We were at Tillys in Lyneham a few weeks ago and our instructor and a fellow-DOLer had their dogs with them. Not only were they very welcome but staff came out and asked if the dogs wanted water :laugh:

Hmm when I say NSW, I lived in Sydney, and I've no doubt there's a good chance things were very different outside of Sydney. I mean in Sydney they had so many inspectors that you could get booked for having your dog on a sewerage beach that was otherwise empty...

Unfortunately though, with my line of work, I have to live in a big city and in Australia that doesn't seem to be as good as pets.

Thats true, I guess in more regional areas of Queensland its probably a lot more dog friendly but Logan, Gold Coast and Brisbane are not.

Most politicians don't live in Canberra. They have somewhere here to stay when parliament is in session and the rest of the time they spend in their family homes in Sydney, Brisbane, etc. :laugh: It's still restrictive in terms of dog laws... it's just that there are some people out there who obviously think it's worthwhile having dog off leash areas.

One thing I liked about Brisbane when I was up there was that there were heaps of fenced off leash areas. I know some people hate them, but one of my dogs has questionable recall at times so I visited a few in off peak times when we were the only ones there. He had fun rolling in the mud.

Yeah and it is good to have fenced dog off leash areas, one of my dogs also has questionable recall and the other one is still too young to rely on it but you get all sorts in those places especially when the only time you can go is peak time due to being at work. But I am also the sort of person who would prefer to be taking a nice nature walk with some good scenery then to be standing in a park. Its more exercise for me and its more adventurous and interesting for the dogs.

Thats true, I guess in more regional areas of Queensland its probably a lot more dog friendly but Logan, Gold Coast and Brisbane are not.

Yeah and it is good to have fenced dog off leash areas, one of my dogs also has questionable recall and the other one is still too young to rely on it but you get all sorts in those places especially when the only time you can go is peak time due to being at work. But I am also the sort of person who would prefer to be taking a nice nature walk with some good scenery then to be standing in a park. Its more exercise for me and its more adventurous and interesting for the dogs.

Brisbane doesn't seem too bad to me. OK, the cafe things is a bit of a pain at times, but there are places where you can sit on the footpath at the tables they provide.

There are plenty of state forest areas to go and walk in (Daisy Hill, Seven Hills, Mt Glorious, Mt Mee) as well as some nice parks with long walk ways through them.

There aren't any beaches really close to the city, but within an hour each way there is the Spit at the Gold Coast and Bribie Island to the north as well as a couple of other dog parks with water courses running through them.

I don't expect EVERY facility to be dog friendly - the vast majority of people aren't dog nuts and I respect that. It is up to us to make the most of what is available and keep trying to chip away at improving things.

I have 3 BC's and don't really struggle finding places to exercise and play with them.

Really? I didn't realise NSW was bad.

There are a few dog beaches, and the one in Wollongong (an hour away from Sydney) has a dog friendly beach where you can swim with them. A lot of places in Sydney were you can take your dogs to cafe for lunches or coffee (i do this often with my 2).

I wouldn't take them to the City itself, but a lot of Inner West suburbs are very pet friendly :laugh:

There are a few great off leash (no fence) dog parks around too.

Edited by CW EW

Oh and if anyone in Queensland has any suggestions on good walking tracks you can go with your dogs please let me know! Anywhere within 2 hours of Brissie area :laugh:

Sandgate and Redcliffe.

Fairly dog friendly. Huge walking paths around the foreshores. Off-leash beaches. And tolerant side-walk cafes.

Might go back one day. :)

Brisbane doesn't seem too bad to me. OK, the cafe things is a bit of a pain at times, but there are places where you can sit on the footpath at the tables they provide.

There are plenty of state forest areas to go and walk in (Daisy Hill, Seven Hills, Mt Glorious, Mt Mee) as well as some nice parks with long walk ways through them.

There aren't any beaches really close to the city, but within an hour each way there is the Spit at the Gold Coast and Bribie Island to the north as well as a couple of other dog parks with water courses running through them.

I don't expect EVERY facility to be dog friendly - the vast majority of people aren't dog nuts and I respect that. It is up to us to make the most of what is available and keep trying to chip away at improving things.

I have 3 BC's and don't really struggle finding places to exercise and play with them.

Hi AD,

I have been to Daisy Hill and to be totally honest it isn't very special (I actually live 5 mins from it) I would prefer to go somewhere where I have some mental stimulation as well as the dogs. I don't think you can take dogs to Mount Mee anymore due to the fact that it is all classed as the De'Aguilar National Park. But I didn't know about Mount Glorious and Seven Hills will have to look into them, thanks for the suggestions. As I said in my first post was open to anyone who did know of places we can go.

I love the beach but Keira has unreliable recall so being on the beach is hard because of that and sometimes I prefer to do a forest walk as well. Again I prefer to steer clear of dog parks as I am not sure what I am going to find when I get there, plus Phoenix is only 5 months old so I would prefer to keep her out of them until she is a bit bigger.

I certainly don't expect every facility to be dog friendly either but we have a lot less dog friendly areas and facilities to many other countries thats all. It would be nice if we had a few more facilities specifically for dogs similar to Kepela in Melbourne and places where dogs are allowed.

Again thanks for the suggestions I will look into them :)

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

Oh and if anyone in Queensland has any suggestions on good walking tracks you can go with your dogs please let me know! Anywhere within 2 hours of Brissie area :laugh:

Sandgate and Redcliffe.

Fairly dog friendly. Huge walking paths around the foreshores. Off-leash beaches. And tolerant side-walk cafes.

Might go back one day. :)

Thanks, Sandgate/Recliffe area does seem to be a lot more laid back relaxed then other places close to the city :)

There are a few dog beaches, and the one in Wollongong (an hour away from Sydney) has a dog friendly beach where you can swim with them. A lot of places in Sydney were you can take your dogs to cafe for lunches or coffee (i do this often with my 2).

I wouldn't take them to the City itself, but a lot of Inner West suburbs are very pet friendly :laugh:

Newcastle and the Central Coast also have dog friendly beaches. I think NSW is fairly dog friendly.

Hey Agility Dog, I just looked up Mt Glorious it seems to be on the edge of the D'Aguilar National Park, do you know of any particular trails that are dog friendly ie: not national park? If you do can you let me know which ones and best road to get to them on, PM if you prefer. Thanks heaps!

Legally, they are not supposed to be anywhere near cafes etc and places that do allow you to have them outside actually get in trouble for it.

Am in the process of moving to NSW and have been looking up the various laws so I know what I'm in for.

For those in NSW, you can have your dog with you in outdoor dining:

COMPANION ANIMALS ACT 1998 - SECT 14A

14A Dogs not prohibited in outdoor dining areas in certain circumstances

(1) The relevant legal restrictions do not prohibit a dog (other than a dangerous or restricted dog) from being in an outdoor dining area if:

(a) the dog is under the effective control of some competent person and is restrained by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog, and

(b) the person does not feed the dog or permit the dog to be fed, and

© the dog is kept on the ground.

(2) However, if the outdoor dining area is within a public place declared by a local authority to be an off-leash area:

(a) it is not necessary for the dog to be restrained by means of a chain, cord or leash, and

(b) the dog can be fed while the dog is on the ground, but not using any apparatus provided for the consumption of food by humans, and

© the dog can sit on a person’s lap, but must not be allowed to sit on any table or chairs or make contact with other apparatus provided for the consumption of food by humans.

(3) This section does not confer any entitlement on a person accompanied by a dog to use any table and chairs or other apparatus provided in an outdoor dining area by a food business (within the meaning of the Food Act 2003 ) without the permission of the operator of the food business.

(4) The "relevant legal restrictions" are:

(a) section 14 (1) (b), and

(b) the Food Act 2003 and the Food Standards Code (within the meaning of that Act).

(5) An "outdoor dining area" is an area that:

(a) is used for the consumption of food by humans, and

(b) is not enclosed, and

© can be entered by the public without passing through an enclosed area in which dogs are prohibited by this Act or the other relevant legal restrictions,

but does not include any part of an area that is used for the preparation of food.

(6) An area is enclosed if, except for doorways and passageways, the area is substantially or completely enclosed, whether permanently or temporarily, by:

(a) a ceiling or roof, and

(b) walls or windows (or both).

A point to note is that it also says that you cannot be deemed to be in effective control if one person is walking more than 4 dogs.

For other states, there is legislation that relates to a dog being allowed in an outdoor dining area if that area is on a public pathway (ie table and chairs out the front of a cafe), unless there is a local law to override it. I'll post the link here when I find it.

Found this for South Australia. This was for the Walkerville Council but it makes reference to a state government exemption which now allows dogs in outdoor dining areas. Still looking for the reference to the exemption:

The State Government has exempted approved outdoor dining areas from Food Safety Standard

Clause 3.2.2, sub-clause 24(1)(b) (which prohibits dogs in dining areas) providing the area is not enclosed. (See SA

Government Gazette 13/11/03 p 4037 for definition of enclosure.) Nevertheless, animals must be

under the control of their owners and must not cause a nuisance to other diners or pedestrians in

accordance with the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995.

 An Outdoor Café Permit holder may deny the entry of animals to a defined outdoor dining area under

his/her control, in sections containing furniture, but may not prevent animals from passing by on public

footpath space.

 Animals must not be provided with food or permitted to seek and take food anywhere in or near to

outdoor dining areas. One water dish may be provided for animals, providing it is on the perimeter of

the designated dining area and is at least 1 metre away from patrons seated at tables.

Edited by Dxenion

I wouldn't take them to the City itself, but a lot of Inner West suburbs are very pet friendly :rofl:

Newcastle and the Central Coast also have dog friendly beaches. I think NSW is fairly dog friendly.

Yeah sorry I tried to correct that. I lived in Sydney in the eastern suburbs and I was just upset because all I ever wanted to do was to be able to go to the beach with my dog and we couldn't find anywhere nearby - like within 1-2 hours. But if you don't live so close to the main city, things are probably better.

That said, I now live 10 mins from the heart of Adelaide, and I can go to nice beaches with my dog every day. I'm over the moon :hug:

Legally, they are not supposed to be anywhere near cafes etc and places that do allow you to have them outside actually get in trouble for it.

Am in the process of moving to NSW and have been looking up the various laws so I know what I'm in for.

For those in NSW, you can have your dog with you in outdoor dining:

COMPANION ANIMALS ACT 1998 - SECT 14A

14A Dogs not prohibited in outdoor dining areas in certain circumstances

(1) The relevant legal restrictions do not prohibit a dog (other than a dangerous or restricted dog) from being in an outdoor dining area if:

(a) the dog is under the effective control of some competent person and is restrained by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog, and

(b) the person does not feed the dog or permit the dog to be fed, and

© the dog is kept on the ground.

(2) However, if the outdoor dining area is within a public place declared by a local authority to be an off-leash area:

(a) it is not necessary for the dog to be restrained by means of a chain, cord or leash, and

(b) the dog can be fed while the dog is on the ground, but not using any apparatus provided for the consumption of food by humans, and

© the dog can sit on a person’s lap, but must not be allowed to sit on any table or chairs or make contact with other apparatus provided for the consumption of food by humans.

(3) This section does not confer any entitlement on a person accompanied by a dog to use any table and chairs or other apparatus provided in an outdoor dining area by a food business (within the meaning of the Food Act 2003 ) without the permission of the operator of the food business.

(4) The "relevant legal restrictions" are:

(a) section 14 (1) (b), and

(b) the Food Act 2003 and the Food Standards Code (within the meaning of that Act).

(5) An "outdoor dining area" is an area that:

(a) is used for the consumption of food by humans, and

(b) is not enclosed, and

© can be entered by the public without passing through an enclosed area in which dogs are prohibited by this Act or the other relevant legal restrictions,

but does not include any part of an area that is used for the preparation of food.

(6) An area is enclosed if, except for doorways and passageways, the area is substantially or completely enclosed, whether permanently or temporarily, by:

(a) a ceiling or roof, and

(b) walls or windows (or both).

A point to note is that it also says that you cannot be deemed to be in effective control if one person is walking more than 4 dogs.

For other states, there is legislation that relates to a dog being allowed in an outdoor dining area if that area is on a public pathway (ie table and chairs out the front of a cafe), unless there is a local law to override it. I'll post the link here when I find it.

Found this for South Australia. This was for the Walkerville Council but it makes reference to a state government exemption which now allows dogs in outdoor dining areas. Still looking for the reference to the exemption:

The State Government has exempted approved outdoor dining areas from Food Safety Standard

Clause 3.2.2, sub-clause 24(1)(b) (which prohibits dogs in dining areas) providing the area is not enclosed. (See SA

Government Gazette 13/11/03 p 4037 for definition of enclosure.) Nevertheless, animals must be

under the control of their owners and must not cause a nuisance to other diners or pedestrians in

accordance with the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995.

 An Outdoor Café Permit holder may deny the entry of animals to a defined outdoor dining area under

his/her control, in sections containing furniture, but may not prevent animals from passing by on public

footpath space.

 Animals must not be provided with food or permitted to seek and take food anywhere in or near to

outdoor dining areas. One water dish may be provided for animals, providing it is on the perimeter of

the designated dining area and is at least 1 metre away from patrons seated at tables.

I cant find it right now but I know I have seen somewhere that dogs are NOT allowed in any restaurants, cafes or similar establishments that serve food and that includes outdoor dining areas in QLD. As I said can't remember where I found this. It also said any restaurants etc allowing dogs will face a fine.

ETA - Here is a link to legislation that says you cannot have dogs in food areas http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/_srcfiles/...ments_v1131.pdf Section 24

Edited by Keira&Phoenix