Dr B's Barf

kirst_goldens

I think its strange too Adnil444. The pet supplies people told me its was the same recipe also. Kangaroo was his favourite BARF, change of packaging now he turns his nose up at it. I tried mixing eggs in there to entice him but still wouldn't touch it. He's not usually a fussy eater either. :)

For the texture to change that much you can only guess how much the product had to change for it to be so noticeable. Not only does it contain so much linseed that it coats the poo in such a way it looks to have been rolled in linseed the smell has also changed. I do not trust VIP pet foods and could not continue to buy Dr B's Barf. My dogs did not like the new Dr B's Barf and they were itchy - putting that down to the excess amount of linseed because they never had a problem with it before.

I was a distributor of Dr B's Barf for several years and this decision was not taken lightly but was necessary. Not only were my dogs not happy with the change but customers who had been purchasing it from me for many yrs were also not enjoying it either. I told some how to make it themselves when supplies were difficult and to feed holistic dry food - or wait. Those who waited have been much happier with the change over to Big Dog and so are we.

Just a question for you guys down here in Vic Where do you get the Big Dog patties from. I live in the western Sub of Melb and would like to try some. Thanks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its strange too Adnil444. The pet supplies people told me its was the same recipe also. Kangaroo was his favourite BARF, change of packaging now he turns his nose up at it. I tried mixing eggs in there to entice him but still wouldn't touch it. He's not usually a fussy eater either. :)

For the texture to change that much you can only guess how much the product had to change for it to be so noticeable. Not only does it contain so much linseed that it coats the poo in such a way it looks to have been rolled in linseed the smell has also changed. I do not trust VIP pet foods and could not continue to buy Dr B's Barf. My dogs did not like the new Dr B's Barf and they were itchy - putting that down to the excess amount of linseed because they never had a problem with it before.

I was a distributor of Dr B's Barf for several years and this decision was not taken lightly but was necessary. Not only were my dogs not happy with the change but customers who had been purchasing it from me for many yrs were also not enjoying it either. I told some how to make it themselves when supplies were difficult and to feed holistic dry food - or wait. Those who waited have been much happier with the change over to Big Dog and so are we.

Just a question for you guys down here in Vic Where do you get the Big Dog patties from. I live in the western Sub of Melb and would like to try some. Thanks

Call Big Dog Pet Foods - http://www.bigdogpetfoods.com/ and they will put you on to your local distributor.

You know, there are two sides to every story.

Don't make assumptions about anything, if you don't know, you don't know.

Sometimes, business relationships can and do sour for a variety of reasons known only to the people involved.

My dogs love the Big Dog BARF...if it was easier to get around here, I'd be buying it. :)

Call Big Dog Pet Foods - http://www.bigdogpetfoods.com/ and they will put you on to your local distributor.

thank you

You know, there are two sides to every story.

Don't make assumptions about anything, if you don't know, you don't know.

Sometimes, business relationships can and do sour for a variety of reasons known only to the people involved.

My dogs love the Big Dog BARF...if it was easier to get around here, I'd be buying it. :laugh:

if this was meant for me - I only know what I was told and I would have been very happy to stay with Dr B's Barf if they went with a company who had better ethics and if the dogs were still happy with the product - unfortunately it never went that way and I had to seek another alternative.

I'm feeding the dogs the 'new' Dr. B. BARF and the texture has certainly changed. I find it more dense than it was. The dogs still eat it without a problem.

Where I get mine from they have both the Dr. B and Big Dog. I've never tried the Big Dog, maybe I should give it a try next time. The thing that p'd me off more than anything was that I bought a heap of small freezer containers that were just the right size for the old version and the new package shape doesn't fit in them.

So what's the consensus guys? Which is better, the new Dr. B or Big Dog.

I used to feed Big Dog (which was the same recipie that they used for the DrB stuff but way cheaper). Fantastic food, I only changed because I'm lazy and there is another place that is no longer a drive for me.

Unless the place has changed hands I would not call the owner of Big Dogs unethical in any way!

Dr B's Barf lost me when they changed companies and went with VIP pet foods.
I think its strange too Adnil444. The pet supplies people told me its was the same recipe also. Kangaroo was his favourite BARF, change of packaging now he turns his nose up at it. I tried mixing eggs in there to entice him but still wouldn't touch it. He's not usually a fussy eater either. :(

Agree with everything u have said Andisa!!

The story I've been told is this:

Dr B's Barf had a trust relationship with the original manufacturer over the Barf recipe.

There was a falling out and because he didn't own the recipe patent the company started manufacturing it for themselves to the original recipe.

Dr B has now found a new manufacturer, changed the texture and learnt a really tough lesson about patents and business.

So I understand Big Dog is the original Barf recipe and Dr B's is a minor variation in texture (and one ingredient?) for legal reasons.

Assuming this information is right, I will be staying with Dr Bs. Apart from my dogs are fine on it, I prefer ethical behaviour in the companies I support.

As other have said there is always two sides and the side we got direct from big dog... puts Br B in the silly section so i guess we wont know the answer...

We will soon be stocking the big dog and will not be feeding or selling the dr b's i still think the world of him as a vet and what not but the change in these paties makes me cringe :S Its raw meat and my boy WILL NOT TOUCH it he just hngs out for his bones and is dropping weight... at 15 this is just not good enough... clients have also noticed the change and have boxes of BARF that isnt being eaten and are pissed to say the least that there money is going down the drain everynight

Yes I'm sure you are right Andisa - there usually are two sides to the story - but even in business I think a long term agreement should be honoured.

BTW do you have some sort of relationship, business or otherwise with Big Dog? Do you work there? Just curious...

The story I've been told is this:

Dr B's Barf had a trust relationship with the original manufacturer over the Barf recipe.

There was a falling out and because he didn't own the recipe patent the company started manufacturing it for themselves to the original recipe.

Dr B has now found a new manufacturer, changed the texture and learnt a really tough lesson about patents and business.

So I understand Big Dog is the original Barf recipe and Dr B's is a minor variation in texture (and one ingredient?) for legal reasons.

Assuming this information is right, I will be staying with Dr Bs. Apart from my dogs are fine on it, I prefer ethical behaviour in the companies I support.

WM - there are two sides to every story as we all know - but you may want to check the ethics of the company who makes the new Dr B's Barf product.... http://www.kangaroo-protection-coalition.c...roopetmeat.html - I simply do not trust that they would not use chemicals again. It doesn't sit comfortably with me. As for a verbal agreement only on a "patent" for the product - it is a business - golden rule is get a patent on everything....seems there was more to it.

As for Big Dog Pet Foods - like all large companies they manufacture for different businesses. Yes there has been some changes to both products of Barf, no doubt legal reasons were an incentive but certainly not the only reason.

ed: sp?

Yes I'm sure you are right Andisa - there usually are two sides to the story - but even in business I think a long term agreement should be honoured.

BTW do you have some sort of relationship, business or otherwise with Big Dog? Do you work there? Just curious...

I was not in the room when the decisions were made so only those who were are the only ones who absolutely know exactly what went on but we all know the outcome was a fold in company agreement resulting in them going separate ways. Not the first time this has happened in business and certainly not that last.

No - I do not work for the company but I do sell their product now. As I said earlier I was more than happy to stay with Dr B's Barf but could not due to the reasons already stated. I am happy with my decision and so are those who buy Big Dog Barf from me.

I thought I would be making up my own Barf again, have in the past and still do sometimes and I could sell it on but I don't want to make it up on large scale - it's easier for me to buy it in and I am happy to do it this way.

Thank you for finally being clear about that. Post #16 is not clear that you are actually a Big Dog distributor so you have a vested interest in people buying that one of two competing products. We can now evaluate what you have to say properly. Thank you.

One thing not mentioned in this thread is the difference in the two products regarding ingredients. Big Dog omit some of the ingredients that are in Dr B's such as egg, kelp.

And Big Dog has green tripe as well as Turkey added to their varieties. There was something else added too and I will have to find out what it was.

I am sure those who have continued on with the new Dr B's Barf have already asked what new changes that was made..oh hang on a minute. Apparently there was no changes, then there was. :( If you want to know you will have to find out for yourself.

As I am not a business partner I was not in the room to know exactly what happened but we all know the outcome.

NO - I do not work for Bid Dog - I do sell their product now. But as stated earlier I would have been more than happy to stay with DR B's but could not for the reasons already stated.

As to the above article, I highly doubt this is the case with Dr Bs or Big Dog. Its fresh frozen, there would be no need for preservatives, unlike the packaged stuff that sits in the supermarket fridge.

You have more faith in VIP than what I do - we have no idea how long everything is sitting around before being made up and frozen. I have chosen not to trust them.

Thank you for finally being clear about that. Post #16 is not clear that you are actually a Big Dog distributor so you have a vested interest in people buying that one of two competing products. We can now evaluate what you have to say properly. Thank you.

my post #16

I thought it was clear enough - my mistake if you missed the highlighted bit.

I can assure you westiemum I had far more invested in being a Distributor with Dr B's Barf than what I have with Big Dog Barf.This decision was not made easily but it had to be made.

ETA: I offered to keep selling the DR B's Barf but I was told by those who were buying it they were not interested since their dogs were off it too - just like mine. Why would I keep it if I could not sell it or use it?

Edited by Andisa

Hi Westiemum .... I know Andisa and in all my contact with her, food and its quality is very high on her agenda.

Hi Westiemum .... I know Andisa and in all my contact with her, food and its quality is very high on her agenda.

Thank you Erny - yes we have had many discussions on raw feeding and you do know where I stand there :)

* was looking for the "like" button - been spending too much time on facebook. :(