Sister's Destructive Pup

Staycalm

My sister got a mixed breed from the pound last year (probably going to be a largish boy) that she's had chipped as a Bull Arab x. He has grown into a sweet but naughty boy and she's at her wit's end to manage him and stop her hubby giving him the old heave ho. I think he's 6-8 months old.

She lives on some bushy acreage with horses and has two other well trained dogs (heelers or cattle dogs) and is normally very dog savvy. Her dogs all live outside and have access to a well sheltered deck with bedding and kennels. They live north of Brisbane.

She's had to put an electric fence around the washing line and I believe he's chewed and destroyed all sorts of things, including the kid's toys, shoes, etc. Apparently recall is also hit and miss as he knows when he's in trouble.

I believe it's a stage :) but I think she needs some ideas on how to contain his behavior until he grows up a bit. I think he's too big for crating, not that I think she'd do it, but I'm hoping we can get some ideas on how she can curb and redirect his creativity and energy.

I've recommended she give the recall a workout but I think part of the problem is she's a busy wife, mother and worker so I think she's stretched herself a bit thin and that's left her little time to spend training a boisterous young dog.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but I think part of the problem is she's a busy wife, mother and worker so I think she's stretched herself a bit thin and that's left her little time to spend training a boisterous young dog.

I wonder what made her get another dog at all if this is the case. She does sound rather busy.

Can she do some daily one on one training with him?

No dog is too big for crating either. Just need to buy the correct size crate.

How much exercise and training does he get at the moment? Does he get toys, treat balls, frozen treats, a clamshell, anything?

Both my dogs, even the sedate 6 year old, will chew things that are left outside. Anything left outside unattended with them is fair game. We don't hang washing out while we're not home, no shoes are left around...

Getting updated info from her atm.

He's 9 months old and their biggest issues are with him ripping clothes off the line and chewing the pump-out hose (been replace twice and on it's way to a third...

He will do these things when they are home but mostly when they're not. He never seems to get caught in the act. Previously he has been picked up, taken to the object, growled at and a open handed smack on the bottom but now if they grab his collar for any reason he'll slip it and run and if he has lost his collar while they've been away it takes ages to get him to come back and get it on.

To me he now has little incentive to come to them now, as he keeps getting punished for stuff he doesn't really get that he's done wrong.

Any practical tips to protect a pump out hose (whatever that is)?

Previously he has been picked up, taken to the object, growled at and a open handed smack on the bottom but now if they grab his collar for any reason he'll slip it and run and if he has lost his collar while they've been away it takes ages to get him to come back and get it on.

To me he now has little incentive to come to them now, as he keeps getting punished for stuff he doesn't really get that he's done wrong.

Any practical tips to protect a pump out hose (whatever that is)?

Firstly, :):):rofl: at the way they're trying to discipline him.

I think if they value the pump, they need to restrict access to it. Telling him off after he's done it won't work.

No wonder he slips the collar when grabbed by it. Every time someone grabs his collar he thinks he's getting dragged to something for a smack and he has no idea why.

Eta: At this stage in his life trusting his family/owners is very important for him, but he can't/doesn't at the moment if he doesn't even come to them when they get home etc.

Edited by Sir WJ

Yeah I :) when I read that. I think she had gotten so used to her well behaved older dogs she has been blind-sided by this pup.

As far as the hose goes I think this is something they have to pump water or sewerage to or from the house. Not sure. I think it's something they pretty much have in permanent use but I have asked for more detail. I have suggested they get lengths of pvc piping and thread it on like beads to give it some protection but I don't know if that would work.

I think I'll be recommending they do a lot more work on recall and stop the punishment thing, working instead on building his trust and keeping him interested in appropriate toys and stuff for him to play with. I guess with his size it could be a bit challenging.

What would you give him to play with when his people aren't around?

Edited by Staycalm

This dog needs a secure pen built where they can lock him up when not under direct supervision. He must be fenced off from the clothes line and pump out hose or he will continue to destroy them. Either that or hook the electric fence up to the clothes line and hang wet towels on it. If he gets zapped for grabbing the towles he might get the message to leave the clothes alone.

The pump out hose would be from a biocycle septic system and it is very enticing for a young dog. Treated water will gush out of it suddenly at intervals making the dog chase the water then chew to hose when it stops. If they can't fence him from it they will have to keep buying replacement hoses like some of my friends do. They put out a new one and it just keeps getting shorter until they have to replace it again.

Finally the owners need to dragged around by the collar and slapped for being so stupid as to think that will achieve anything other than confusing this poor puppy. Do they do that to their children when they make a mistake? Why the hell did they get a puppy if they don't have time to raise it properly?

This dog needs a secure pen built where they can lock him up when not under direct supervision. He must be fenced off from the clothes line and pump out hose or he will continue to destroy them. Either that or hook the electric fence up to the clothes line and hang wet towels on it. If he gets zapped for grabbing the towles he might get the message to leave the clothes alone.

The pump out hose would be from a biocycle septic system and it is very enticing for a young dog. Treated water will gush out of it suddenly at intervals making the dog chase the water then chew to hose when it stops. If they can't fence him from it they will have to keep buying replacement hoses like some of my friends do. They put out a new one and it just keeps getting shorter until they have to replace it again.

Finally the owners need to dragged around by the collar and slapped for being so stupid as to think that will achieve anything other than confusing this poor puppy. Do they do that to their children when they make a mistake? Why the hell did they get a puppy if they don't have time to raise it properly?

Why does anyone get a puppy? Because they are cute and people have selective memories about the work involved. :)

I am hoping I can persuade them to take a step back and accept that as a pup he's only doing what most pups do - just on a greater scale - and they need to turn their reactions around and start focusing on the positive behaviours. Rewarding him for recalling, etc. I will also get an idea of what they have been giving him to keep him out of trouble (toys, kongs, bones, etc) and how much attention he get on an average day.

Why does anyone get a puppy? Because they are cute and people have selective memories about the work involved. :)

I will also get an idea of what they have been giving him to keep him out of trouble (toys, kongs, bones, etc) and how much attention he get on an average day.

Hmmm, only people who haven't thought things through get cute puppies for that reason.

What will they do with him if it's not "a stage?" Some dogs just love destroying things and will do it all their lives. Are they prepared for this for the next 12 or so years?

This boy doesn't just need attention as in pats and cuddles. He needs one on one daily mental stimulation. ie obedience etc.

And this is why pounds and shelters put down thousands of healthy young dogs every year. People get a puppy with no though of how they are going to raise it, stuff it up completely and dump it at the pound to be put down because the chances of this sort of dog being rehomed is just about nil. Then they go out and get another puppy and so the cycle continues. Most dogs surrendered are medium to large crossbreds, 6-18 months old, usually entire males and completely untrained. There are very few saints willing to take on a dog that size and age that already has problems so most are put down. The little cute dogs and the purebreds will probably get another chance but not the large crossbreds so if you are going to take on that sort of puppy you need to be very sure you get it right.

I had a dog who liked to pull washing off the line.

I decided to try to re-shape this behaviour rather than completely eliminate it.

So we attached a cotton lead rope (for horses) to the line. Then we encouragewd him to pull on that. He got lots of praise for it.

He didn't pull off anymore washing after that. He just tugged on the rope if he felt the need.

I know that won't necessarily work with all dogs (I guess it depends why they are pulling washing off the line - whether its a game or whether its anxiety etc) but its probably worth a try :)

I also think its a bit kinder than putting things like chilli on the clothes, and the dog has that horrible buring sensation in its mouth for ages afterward.

Other than confining him when unsupervised. I would be encouraging them to get as many time consuming toys for him to play with.

Actually one simple thing they can do is feed his dinner in ice block form. That will take him a lot longer to eat, and costs really nothing :D

Mine get a frozen Kong each, every morning. I also scatter kibble all over the yard which they have to find. They get a rotated treat ball each day (only my youngest is interested in these), either a Squirrel Dude, Buster Cube, or a Twist'n'Treat. Most days they also get something to destroy from the recycling pile... a soft drink bottle with kibble inside, or a toilet roll to shred. I also rotate a few toys... balls, soft toys, squeaky toys.

This keeps them entertained BUT... occasionally I still come home to a new hole in the yard, or some more of the sprinkler system chewed, or a hole in the trampoline bed... as I say my older boy is 6 and he takes part in the destruction.

IMO he's not doing anything 'on a greater scale' than any other pup or even older dog for that matter. Some dogs chew things and some don't, and as Sir WJ says, some do it for their whole lives. They need to set him up for success, not failure :)

There's a paste/spray they use for horses called "Crib stop".

It's very bitter tasting. I painted the paste all over pipes/the deck/gate (pretty much everything chewable!! :D )

and my boy has never touched those things again.... fantastic stuff :)

I think this pup would benefit from a new home ... Just my 2C worth... it sounds as tho your sister and her husband are frustrated and floundering ..and unless they get someone in to help...and have the dedication/patience to carry out instructions to the letter , they ,and the pup will continue to fail, feel awful, and so the cycle continues :)

I feel for them, and the pup ....

I think this pup would benefit from a new home ... Just my 2C worth... it sounds as tho your sister and her husband are frustrated and floundering ..and unless they get someone in to help...and have the dedication/patience to carry out instructions to the letter , they ,and the pup will continue to fail, feel awful, and so the cycle continues

My sentiments exactly, and do it before he becomes totally ruined.

Marion01

I think this pup would benefit from a new home ... Just my 2C worth... it sounds as tho your sister and her husband are frustrated and floundering ..and unless they get someone in to help...and have the dedication/patience to carry out instructions to the letter , they ,and the pup will continue to fail, feel awful, and so the cycle continues

My sentiments exactly, and do it before he becomes totally ruined.

Marion01

I also agree, IMO this dog isn't suitable for this particular home.

I think if your sister and her OH were to regard the pup as "bored, untrained and understimulated" they might find the solution to the problem.

If they aren't prepared to step up with a training, exercise and stimulation program, then I'd say it would be best to rehome the dog. With a bit of effort, they'd probably get a lovely pet. Without it.. well they know what they get for that already.