Doberman - Working Line Breeders

Doberwatch

Hi all Dobie lovers,

Thought i'd start a thread to begin gathering info on the working line dobe breeders in Australia. I will be using this feedback to help make my decision on who i buy from in the future. Hopefully many other forum users benefit from it also.

Appologies in advance if this topic has been thrashed in times gone by.

What i'd like to hear is what breeders people have heard about or had dealings with, what their dogs are like (health, size, temperament etc), does the breeder have a good/bad reputation, and any other info a prospective puppy buyer wants to know.

I'm pretty well familiar with the current breeders out there but don't know about all of them. Here are most of them but feel free to mention others.

Von Liston

Von Forrell

Von Roth

Schutzdobe

Von Hellas

Vonchienloup

Aeon

Delaneys

Valley Gem

Vondeckelman

Seareach

Belafir

I'm hoping many of you get on board with helpfull input, pics etc.

Cheers

Doberwatch

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a dobe person, but I imagine recommendations will partly hinge on what exactly you want the dog for? i.e. will you be competing in a particular type of dogsport, are you after a service animal of some type, or merely a protective pet?

the best way to buy a working dog is go see the parents work, unless you trust your breeder.

Dont discount some kennels like Fireax especially if you want a good companion/guard. A dog doesnt always have to come from a macho website breeder to be good for some purposes.

I think you'll find Dogzonline wont have a thead that has photos and opinions of peoples dogs especially in the negative :vomit:

Wondered how long it would take for comments to pop up comparing Dobes to Mals and Shepherds! ;)

I don't have service work requirements, just want a reliable protector should a situation arise, a sound family companion and dabble in dog sport (Sch). And i prefer the Euro working line look versus pure show lines.

And yes, i want a Dobe to perform all of this.

So if there are any positive stories out there, please share your experience. Surely there are some working Dobe breeders deserving of good publicity.

I have seen and worked dobes from Von Forell that have been fairly good. I would have a look around and speak to the handlers at Adelaide Sport Dog Club and Euro Dog Sport Club.

Thanks for the input Jeff,

I was an ADSC member in 2010 and actively trained my young Dobe before she was tragically taken by unexpected onset of HGE. But i will ask around at EDSC also.

I have seen and worked dobes from Von Forell that have been fairly good. I would have a look around and speak to the handlers at Adelaide Sport Dog Club and Euro Dog Sport Club.

Thanks for the input Jeff,

I was an ADSC member in 2010 and actively trained my young Dobe before she was tragically taken by unexpected onset of HGE. But i will ask around at EDSC also.

Speak with Chris at EDSC he used to breed working line dobes.

Jeff,

Just curious... Given that so few serious trainers are willing to take on Dobes these days,(and thats definitely the case)how would you judge a dobes suitability or potential for working when its been raised in a pet/companion home?

What would you be looking for?

Edited by moosmum

Jeff,

Just curious... Given that so few serious trainers are willing to take on Dobes these days,(and thats definitely the case)how would you judge a dobes suitability or potential for working when its been raised in a pet/companion home?

I would be completing a temperament evaluation on the dog as I do on any dog before conducting any form of protection training or assessment to test the dogs suitability for this style of work. I then like to complete a stake out test on the dog, I will trigger different drives in the dog and assess the dogs ability to switch between drives and assess its recovery time to different levels of stimulation.

This sounds fairly easy but it does not take much to ruin a dog, I recommend you have K9 Pro assess the dog for its working potential. A lot of people have a friend or inexperienced trainer agitate the dog without knowing which drive the dog is working in. They falsely believe because the dog is displaying a aggressive response it has the right temperament for protection work.

ETA:

Moosmum how old is the dog in question, I am assuming it is an older dog and not a puppy?

Edited by Jeff Jones

I don't have service work requirements, just want a reliable protector should a situation arise, a sound family companion and dabble in dog sport (Sch). And i prefer the Euro working line look versus pure show lines.

Von Forell dogs would fit this bill very nicely.

I would definately recommend you speak with Kris.

He is a breeder / trainer of good reputation who would be happy to answer any questions you have.

My experiences with him have left only positive impressions.

Another one to look at is Anamist. Natasha is in Brisbane and 3 of her dogs are doing Shutz up here

Yeah and she is asking $2500 for a desexed training pet from current working litter. A bit pricey in my opinion compared with $1500-2000 from other breeders. Not to say she isn't a good breeder.

Jeff,

I would be completing a temperament evaluation on the dog as I do on any dog before conducting any form of protection training or assessment to test the dogs suitability for this style of work. I then like to complete a stake out test on the dog, I will trigger different drives in the dog and assess the dogs ability to switch between drives and assess its recovery time to different levels of stimulation.

This sounds fairly easy but it does not take much to ruin a dog, I recommend you have K9 Pro assess the dog for its working potential. A lot of people have a friend or inexperienced trainer agitate the dog without knowing which drive the dog is working in. They falsely believe because the dog is displaying a aggressive response it has the right temperament for protection work.

ETA:

Moosmum how old is the dog in question, I am assuming it is an older dog and not a puppy?

The dogs are 8,4 and 3 but its more a hypothetical question anyway.It took me 6 years to find dogs I was happy with for my needs and I''m very confident in them.

I don't and won't "mess" with them,they are companions 1st and its not needed for my confidence in them.

As a layman,with out knowing all the correct terminology,

I have always seen dobes as more a P.P dog rather than strictly security and believe you want different drives in a dog that can be a constant companion on farms,around kids and in situations a strictly security dog will never be in.

Far less prey drive than security people seem to be after for a start.

A much more easy to manage dog than some security people seem to prefer,but still a dog needing plenty of mental stimulation.

IMHO those trying to bring back working abilities in Dobes would be better served to concentrate on the P.P side.With that goal acheived, it would follow that many of the pups would turn out to be more suited to a security environment over time?

Security personel, those after P.P and sporting dogs are discouraged from dobermanns and this must make it difficult to place good dogs where they can prove themselves,yet most pet homes woud be totaly wrong for those dogs.

Also harder for a good breeding program to work.

Von Forell dogs would fit this bill very nicely.

I would definately recommend you speak with Kris.

He is a breeder / trainer of good reputation who would be happy to answer any questions you have.

My experiences with him have left only positive impressions.

I have also heard good things about Von Forell.

I know Natasha from Anamist and Dave from Seareach personally and they are lovely people with some very nice dogs. But I wouldn't call their dogs working line dogs. Both of them used Federicco Moravia Heart as a sire of some of their recent litters. He is a European import and a fantastic dog but he isnt a working line dog.

The dog Natasha used on her current litter is also an import form Europe but again not from true working lines.

In Europe dogs to be bred from must have an IPOI title, in my opinion that title is an indication of dogs abilities but not necessarily a true working dog. And if someone knows anything about training they will know that its possible to train a mediocre dog to perform the move of the IPO requirements on its own train filed, yet it will not pass anything, including simple heeling with distractions on an unknown field. Im in no way saying that that dog is of a substandard quality. I just dont think tht seeing IPO title here are there in the pedigree means that the dog is working lines. All dogs in Europe have those titles, yet over there peole still split the breed into show and working lines.

And if people call Anamist kennels working line kennel I will start the same about my dogs :provoke: (only kidding) as I also used Ricco - he is a sire of my current litter. And I used Garrison Moravia Heart that is more of a working dog then Ricco, yet far from a lets say WL malinois....

As to the other working line kennels - I am yet to see any of their dogs be titled in anything........

As Jeff said if you want a working dog dont get a dobermann ;-))

Edited by MonElite

As to the other working line kennels - I am yet to see any of their dogs be titled in anything........

Have any of the Aussie dobe kennels produced dogs that are being used as service dogs in any capacity (police, SAR, security), Monika? Just curious. :provoke: