How Do You Clip The Nails Of A 70kg Dog?

Tigey

Unfortunately my mastiff never got used to us clipping his nails and now it's barely possible.

He is 14 months old but starts struggling and whines like a 2 month puppy whenever I try to clip.

same goes for my bullmastiff x rottweiler.. who puts up even more of a fight at 40kg

any hints/tricks? or are they destined to have 1 inch claws? good thing he is too big to jump up and she has grown out of jumping up...

How Do You Clip The Nails Of A 70kg Dog?

get them used to it when they are little :champagne:

:kissbetter:

I'm not of much help - try to do it after they have gone for a walk when they are tired. Some ppl suggest smothering peanut butter on a fridge/cupboard and while they stand licking it off you try and do their nails. Others have said to just slowly get them used to foot touching by praising and treating and building up over weeks/months to actually clipping their nails.

In grooming we don't have that time so I get someone else to hold the dog and just snip away - you could try going to a groomers/vet if they play up for their owners

Desenitise them first. Before their meal time, get them one at a time somewhere they feel comfortable and where there is room for the dog to lie down and you sit on the ground/floor too. Have a pocketful of treats and a whatever you plan on using to trim their nails - clippers, dremel, whatever.

It depends on what the dog reacts to.

If the sight of the clippers upset it, Put the clippers/whatever on a table or chair about 2 or 3 feet away from you (depends on how far you can reach really!), make the dog lie down (or sit if they don't do down on command without stressing) beside you. Dog will have probably noticed clippers, so if it sits/lies without an argument, give a treat. Repeat until the dog is totally relaxed about you having the clippers in it's sight, then move them on to the ground, repeat until the dog is OK with that (Can take a number of days)

If the dog is OK with the clippers being there but not with you holding them, put the clippers on the ground, move your hand towards the clippers, then straight back to the dog, treat dog, keep doing this until you can touch the clippers and the dog doesn't react. Build up to picking up the clippers while your hand is still 2-3 feet from the dog, then a bit closer, then closer again, etc etc etc. (Can take a number of days)

If the dog is OK with you holding the clippers but just not with the clippers touching him, it's quite likely he's actually touchy about his feet being handled too - so don't worry about the clippers to start with and just get him used to you touching his feet - quick touch, treat, firmer touch, treat, pick up foot, treat, manipulate individual toes, treat etc etc etc. When the dog is OK with you doing that, have the clippers in one hand while touching his feet with the other, then bring the clippers towards the foot but don't touch, then just touch and remove immediately, then pretend to clip the nail so the noise is there but no sensation, then close the clippers on the nail but don't actually cut, etc etc etc.

With big dogs and big toe nails I think you might find a dremel easier - but that needs the same sort of care to get them used to the noise and you have to be careful not to over grind in your enthusiasm to get the nails short.

Edited by Sandra777

I would suggest attempting a friend or partner at the head with treats and some muscle and u at the feet with muscle and be ready... but always be relaxed.. if u go into it tense and fearing the dogs reaction they will pick up on it and freak out... only treat good behaviour - try starting playing with their feet while they are relaxed as well hold them and seperate their toes and talk gently to them - without any nail clippers and reward good behaviour

this is somehting that as mentioned should be started from a very young age for best results

is the rottie x bitch the one having a litter?? u might find u dont get much help wiht her in the breeders section as she is a cross breed..

My boy isn't 70kg but still heavy enough and strong enough to put up a fight, but never does.

My thing was when he was a puppy and even to this day I play with his feet, touch them, pat them, check in between his pads, check nails etc so he is used to me touching the area. He doesn't get long nails much (only really ever clip the dew claws) but when he does I normally do them while he is asleep. I have a good pair of clippers from K9 Pro made by Herm Springer. Half the time he doesn't even wake up.

So maybe try doing it while they are sleeping and work on touching the foot area more regularly? :kissbetter:

Little and often.

Dont' try to take big bits off.. just little ones and reward or distract.

Buy a good set of clippers - makes such a difference.

Some peanut butter or fish paste smeared on the fridge door, do ONE and reward and stop.

Or yes, when he's asleep. :kissbetter:

there are some great videos out there for desensitising

Like NewAmstaffOwner I spend time everyday, touching/grabbing my guys feet so it's not too much of a big deal for them :kissbetter:

Oh, I also cut them in the bath before they get a wash, and this also helps to keep them still.

yeah, its odd because he actually likes his feet being played with, likes shaking paws and what not and always lets me wipe them with a towel when he gets sandy

yes it my bullmastiff x that is the one having the litter and no i didnt get some very friendly responses but i needed advice

wow people really read through these forums.

both dogs love sleeping on their backs too. i've gotten them once or twice while asleep but its like they've developed a 6th since when they're sleeping now.

i will try the treats/peanut butter, thanks

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~jmerenski1/d...mel/dremel.html

I followed the instructions on this website to desensitise my dog to the clipper - I actually used it like a clicker with treat ie click the clippers and treat, and gradually get dog to lie upside down in my lap.

Only one problem - the clippers - pinch the claw and hurt - not matter how far away from the quick you are, so dog while happy to have the clipper placed over the claw, leaps for the sky as soon as you clip. So only get one claw done. Ever.

Sigh.

So I went out and got myself a cheap version of a dremmel - dunno how good it is yet.

Meanwhile we go to the beach and dig a lot in the sand when her claws are soft from being in the water, or we go for long walks on the bitumen footpaths, both seem to help. Lots of fetch at the beach also helps sand the claws down a bit.

Look up articles on clicker training to clip nails - clicker is a good way of training as the sound is the same as the snip of the clippers when you cut.

I have not used this clip but Kikpup videos are usually pretty good - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgBvnQ71ss

I used to struggle with my boy (who's now 62kg) and used the clicker.

Started off with just sitting in front of him with the clippers on the ground and clicking any interaction and built up from there. If he does not like his feet being touched you need to build up that too.

When I was able to clip his nails without any issue, the first couple of times I did it when he was worn out and lots of treats. Now he gets a treat at the end.

Clicker training worked for us. Orbit was never a big fan of having it done, but after we did some work with the clicker and he understood the concept, I used it to teach him to keep still and that it wasn't actually so bad.

I just started with handling his paws first then moved on to toes. He was fine with this but it still reinforced what he was doing was good. Then started just touching his nails, then touching his nails with the clippers. I got him to target the clippers too (eg touch them with his nose) so he saw them as a positive thing.

Eventually I moved on to clipping a small bit of nail and the sound make a click and he waited for his treat!

Now, I just have to get out the clippers and ask for each foot and he gives them to me. princess.

It was pretty easy really and he learnt pretty quick. And if you look at the pics of him in my sig you can see he's hardly the sharpest looking dog in the world!

And now he's so tough that even if I go a bit too far, he doesn't even flinch!

Edited by stormie

I made a special conscious effort to handle my puppy's feet, mouth, ears etc when young. Unfortunately when he hit about 8 months, he decided he didn't want a bar of any of it. I can hold the clippers, touch his feet, treat etc - no worries. However, when I'm actually trying to cut his nails I reckon I must get a look on my face (and a studious, concentrating, anxious - as in worried about cutting too much off - attitude), you can only imagine :laugh: , and I'm not really surprised he doesn't like it now.

I do like most and sneak them in his sleep. Its only the ones on the sides of his front legs that are an issue though.

if you need to do it now have a at least one other person present. This is how I did a massive dane that freaked out having it done

one person give the dog a really firm massage on the head/neck, talk to the dog, have the TV on etc so its distracting. I had the clippers and was rubbing the dogs paws firmly as well. When the dog relaxed I snipped one nail then went back to massaging the paw. Relax again, snip again.

I managed to do the whole lot like this and the dog was too distracted to worry about it. By the end she realised I was doing it but didnt freak out.

If you ignore the issue and distract the dog, they wont freak. I used this at the vet clinic too ad always got nails done without a problem.

I haven't time to read all your replies, am sure there's gold there.

My thing now to make things easier for my back and ordinary eyesight is to pick up each foot as I would a horses hoof :rofl:

That is, the feet picked up and flexed towards to the rear.

This girl is not mad about the procedure, she can't instinctively jerk back with the fronts this way and it's over quicker.

if you need to do it now have a at least one other person present. This is how I did a massive dane that freaked out having it done

one person give the dog a really firm massage on the head/neck, talk to the dog, have the TV on etc so its distracting. I had the clippers and was rubbing the dogs paws firmly as well. When the dog relaxed I snipped one nail then went back to massaging the paw. Relax again, snip again.

I managed to do the whole lot like this and the dog was too distracted to worry about it. By the end she realised I was doing it but didnt freak out.

If you ignore the issue and distract the dog, they wont freak. I used this at the vet clinic too ad always got nails done without a problem.

Yep this is the only method that worked with my dog. Minus the second person, cos my boy's only 20kg.

I tried the clicker + lots of treats method and it just made him more suspicious of the clippers!

I do his nails straight after a walk. Get him lying on his side and start with his hind feet. If he grumbles I ignore and keep going. If he ramps up to a growl and I feel him tensing, I stop and hold his foot and massage his side until he calms again.

ETA: A calm business-like attitude does wonders! I used to get quite frustrated trying to do nails and my dog reacted by getting more worked up. He's heaps better now that I make a conscious effort to stay calm and get on with it.

Edited by gila