Poison Alert - Earlwood

wagsalot

TWO dogs have died from suspected poisoning at a park in Sydney's inner west.

A woman was walking her 13-year-old Boxer and her friend's 10-year-old Labrador in a public reserve on Glenview Avenue at Earlwood yesterday.

Sometime between 6.30am (AEDT) and 7.30am the dogs ate a piece of bread that appeared to have been soaked in a blue coloured substance, police said.

Within 15 minutes of consuming the bread the Labrador died and the Boxer was taken to the vet suffering severe affects of poisoning.

About an hour later, another woman was walking her six-month-old Labrador in the same park when it ate another piece of bread.

Her dog died within 15 minutes, said police who are advising any members of the public who may be walking animals in the reserve to be cautious.

"If you are walking a pet through the area, or playing with children, please be aware of contaminated food scraps, or rubbish that may be present," police said in a statement.

In September last year also in the inner west of Sydney up to 12 dogs became seriously ill after eating baited balls of mincemeat at Mort Bay, Ballast Point and Leichhardt.

Anyone caught poisoning dogs could face a $22,000 fine or two years in jail, and harsher penalties could apply if it led to the death of a dog.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-...x-1226006923222

That's disgusting. Do they have any idea what the poison is?

ETA - forget the animal welfare charges, if they catch the culprit they should do them on something like attempted homicide or aggravated assault if they can - how does the culprit know that a little kid isn't going to eat that poisoned food? Little kids regularly go to the park too, and stick weird things in their mouths all the time. Leaving poisoned food in a public place where little kids go is just asking for one of them to swallow it.

Edited by Staranais

I haven't heard on any news reports what they think it is, only that the bread looked blue.

Horrible that you're walking your dog one minute, then 15 minutes later its dead :champagne:

Not only a warning for dog owners, but people with little kids too.

Absolutely disgusting.

RIP poor pups :D

I think all parks should have surveillance if this keeps happening..there has been several parks in the last few months being baited and very hard to catch these people.

:) what a nightmare!

This is too close to home. My council area, and even after five years of training Stevie will still pick up food when we're out walking, if we don't watch out.

Must be powerful poison to kill large dogs so quickly, so I agree the danger to humans must be huge too and I trust the police take this very seriously.

the world is full of psychopaths, ying and yang, for every good person, there's a rotten one, for every exceptionally good person, there's an exceptionally bad person out there. It's the way of the world, for there to be good, there has to be evil..

Shouldnt a council worker be running around the park looking for blue bread and disposing of it?

Do you have any idea of how many off lead dog parks and onlead parks are around the Inner West? That would be an impossible task.