Poison Alert - Earlwood

wagsalot

Shouldnt a council worker be running around the park looking for blue bread and disposing of it?

Do you have any idea of how many off lead dog parks and onlead parks are around the Inner West? That would be an impossible task.

I have no idea....but if there is poison bread around shouldnt someone be looking? Have the posioned dogs all been in the same park? The thread title does say Earlwood.

Edited by Shazzapug

Shouldnt a council worker be running around the park looking for blue bread and disposing of it?

Do you have any idea of how many off lead dog parks and onlead parks are around the Inner West? That would be an impossible task.

I have no idea....but if there is poison bread around shouldnt someone be looking? Have the posioned dogs all been in the same park? The thread title does say Earlwood.

For all we know someone is, but if there is any long grass or vegetation in the park I think you'd have to do a shoulder to shoulder line search to be really sure, even if the bread is blue. That's a lot of manhours if it's a large park, probably too much for anyone to spare unless they think human life is at risk.

Maybe the regular dog walkers could organise it themselves, but even then someone could drop a new piece straight after. I think I'd be avoiding letting a dog off-lead at that park for a very long time.

Danois is right, the inner west is like a maze. Someone could walk past a different park every day on the way to work and throw a bait or two each time.

:thumbsup: The increasing incidence of poisoning is getting really creepy.

For all we know someone is, but if there is any long grass or vegetation in the park I think you'd have to do a shoulder to shoulder line search to be really sure, even if the bread is blue. That's a lot of manhours if it's a large park, probably too much for anyone to spare unless they think human life is at risk.

Maybe the regular dog walkers could organise it themselves, but even then someone could drop a new piece straight after. I think I'd be avoiding letting a dog off-lead at that park for a very long time.

Or if this baiting becomes a regular thing, then perhaps organising a 24 hour watch to find out who is dropping the bread and then having a quiet "word" with them might be the way to go...

I'd be running my dog muzzled in those areas until it's all sorted out, anyway.

Thats horrible :thumbsup:

I also want to know what kind of poison kills a fully grown labrador in 15 minutes! Surely this is a serious risk to young kids as they are known to put random stuff in their mouths and would way much less than a 25kg lab. Surprised the council and police are not more concerned.

I heard a police spokesman on the radio saying that they had searched the park, they had found more bread and taken it for analysis of the poison.

Perhaps a more effective course of action would be to ask what would motivate a person to poison random dogs in a park. Are people allowing them to be offlead where they shouldn't? Not picking up after them? Allowing dogs into the kids play areas?

Has there been an incident or a serious of incidents where a person has gotten upset with dog owners?

The motivation for baiting randomly in a public park would IMO be to keep all dogs out of it. Why would that be something a person wanted?

As to the poison? My money's on Ethylene Glycol. Easily obtained and highly palatable to pets and kids. :thumbsup: I'll allow for some leeway on the reported speed of death. 15 minutes after symptoms first noticed would be good enough for anti-freeze. Perhaps consumption after exercise might speed the effect?? We need Rappie to advise on that one.

Edited by poodlefan

Has there been an incident or a serious of incidents where a person has gotten upset with dog owners?

The motivation for baiting randomly in a public park would IMO be to keep all dogs out of it. Why would that be something a person wanted?

As to the poison? My money's on Ethylene Glycol.

Barking.

Harming of wildlife.

Has there been an incident involving an attack lately, I wonder? Edit - I guess that's more personal, maybe the perpetrator was trying to target someone and did not care if there were other victims? They certainly didn't care about the risk to children either.

Edited by Henrietta

The late news last night mentioned worries about the risk to children.

From what I saw on the TV there is a playground there. It's not unknown for toddlers to pick up something off the ground and eat it....and they can be as quick as a dog can be in grabbing something and putting it in their mouth. All it takes is mum being distracted for a second by another sibling.

Very scary indeed. :thumbsup:

As for motivation...who knows. It could be as simple as someone, who is a total nutter, treading in dog poo once, so they hate every dog. It could be targeted at children rather than dogs?

There is most likely no rational reason other than someone is mentally ill and therefore not rational.

There is most likely no rational reason other than someone is mentally ill and therefore not rational.

Most dog baiters are totally rational and know exactly what they're doing. Cruelty is not a mental illness.

I reckon there's probably a motive for this. Find it and they may find out who's behind it. My money is on a local resident/park user.

Edited by poodlefan

Story from the Tele reports strychnine and police investigation:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw-...i-1226007210663

(actually the words below might be from aj earlier version of the story)

PICTURED beneath the Christmas tree in happier times, these are two of the three dogs cruelly poisoned in a Sydney park.

Tragically, the Labrador, named Maggie died soon after eating what police believe was a piece of bread soaked in the fatal poison strychnine.

Her best friend Zena, a 13-year-old Boxer ingested a small amount of the poisoned bread, and was seriously Ill, but survived the ordeal.

A third dog, a six-month-old Labrador puppy died yesterday after eating baited bread, scattered in a reserve in Glenview St at Earlwood.

Owner Susie Griffin was walking her dog Maggie, and her partner Penny Gulliver's dog Zena, early yesterday morning, when the dogs ran ahead towards the brightly-coloured piece of bread.

"Maggie ran off, because she's mad about food and she's a guts...Zena only had a small bit of the bread," Ms Gulliver said.

Moments later, both dogs began frothing at the mouth, and Maggie started convulsing.

"Susie was screaming my name... I ran down to the park and Maggie was convulsing. It was the most horrific thing I have ever seen," she said.

Earlwood veterinarian Peter Nicholl said poisoning dogs is highly dangerous, and warned other dog owners to be vigilant.

"There is someone out there doing this who thinks it's a good idea, but it's causing a huge amount of trauma," Mr Nicholl said.

Police have appealed for anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

When I saw it on the news, there were people combing the park looking for anything else that could of been dropped.

Thats good....hope there arent any more dog deaths.

So it's strychnine. What a bastard. :(

Has it definitely been tested as strychnine?

If so...surely that is a substance that could only be purchased through limited outlets and you would need a permit to buy it?

Edited by Tim'sMum

If so...surely that is a substance that could only be purchased through limited outlets and you would need a permit to buy it?

That's what I was wondering. At least strychnine will get the authorities minds focussed more than anti-freeze.

So it's strychnine. What a bastard. :)

Has it definitely been tested as strychnine?

No idea, the article just says that police believe it is strychnine, didn't say why they thought that. The symptoms of strychinine poisoning are not usually particularly similar to the symptoms of ethylene glycol toxicity, though. Strychnine is excitatory & causes convulsions, ethylene glycol is a CNS depressant & causes kidney damage.

They use strychnine here in rodent control on conservation land sometimes I believe, but I'm pretty sure that private individuals can't purchase it any more. Not sure about the situation in Aussie.