Feeding Puppies Closed Thread

byott

This is why I dont feed alfalfa.

CLINICAL SUMMARY

Alfalfa sprout extracts exhibit potent estrogenic activity in vitro (9), therefore patients with estrogen sensitive cancers should be careful about using alfalfa supplementation. Rats fed with alfalfa are more susceptible to colon cancer, however similar effects in humans have not been observed (2).

SCIENTIFIC NAME

PURPORTED USES

Allergies

Asthma

Diabetes

GI disorders

High cholesterol

Lactation stimulation

Menstrual disorder

Promote urination

CONSTITUENTS

In the Foliage:

Carotinoids: lutein

Triterpene saponins: sojasapogenol A-E aglycones medicagenic acid, hederagenin

Isoflavonoids: formononetin glycosides, genistein, daidzein, biochanin A, coumestrol,

Coumarins: coumestrol, 3’-methoxy coumestrol, lucernol, sativol, trifol, medicagol

Triterpenes: sigmasterol, spinasterol

Cyanogenic glycosides

Seeds:

L-canavaine

Betaine: stachydrine, homostacydrine

Trigonelline

Fatty oil

(1) (3)

MECHANISM OF ACTION

Saponins present in the herb act on the cardiovascular, nervous and digestive systems (1). The hypocholesterolemic and hemolytic activity of the leaves and sprouts of alfalfa are attributed to a steroidal saponin fraction. These saponins and fiber contained within the plant bind to cholesterol in vitro. Alkaloids such as stachydrine and l-homo-stachydrine found in the seed are thought to give alfalfa its emmenagogue and lactogenic activity (2). Extracts from alfalfa were preferentially agonistic towards estrogen receptor beta and alfalfa was shown to increase estrogen-dependent MCF-7 breast cancer cell proliferation even greater than estradiol (9). The non-protein amino acid constituent, L-canavanine constitutes 1.5% of the dry weight of alfalfa seeds and alfalfa sprouts. It has been shown to affect human T-cells in vitro and to induce hematologic and serologic abnormalities characteristic of systemic lupus erythematosus syndrome in monkeys (12). This mechanism has been proposed as the way in which systemic lupus erythematosus relapse occurs in humans as well (7), although some researchers question whether L-canavanine concentrations in alfalfa are great enough to cause this effect. (8).

WARNINGS

Avoided during pregnancy and nursing (11). Patients with latent systemic lupus erythematosus have had relapse after the ingestion of alfalfa tablets (6). Alfalfa sprouts have been linked to a number of E.coli and Salmonella infections in California (10).

CONTRAINDICATIONS

Alfalfa should be avoided in pregnant and lactating women.

Alfalfa should be avoided in patients with hormone sensitive cancer.

Due to the high content of purines, alfalfa should be avoided in patients with gout(4).

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All puppies need raw meaty bones to chew on.

Their baby teeth will fall out when they are ready, bones are essential for healthy clean smiles, puppies need to chew and exercise their little jaws.

Chewing bones also occupies their busy  little minds.

Byott,

Did you recieve a Diet Sheet with your Puppy?

I would be guided my your Breeder.

Also be aware that if your breeder has a health guarantee in place it may be subject to you feeding what he/she reccomends etc.

have pm you Nadia.

Byott

Hi Byott,

I couldn't help but notice that you have recently asked this exact same question on three different occasions - starting your own new topic everytime.

What was insufficient about the advice you got last time that you had to ask again - and again? This seems to me a little like the actions of a troll.

In future it would be nice if you didn't post the same thing over and over especially given that you could have easily found answers to your queries by doing a search. This sort of thing really clogs the forum and it gets annoying answering the same questions - especially for the same person!

Hi Byott,

I couldn't help but notice that you have recently asked this exact same question on three different occasions - starting your own new topic everytime.

What was insufficient about the advice you got last time that you had to ask again - and again? This seems to me a little like the actions of a troll.

Bit harsh :o I can only find two topics on feeding puppy started by Byott, which could easily be the result of accidental double posting :o

Hi Byott,

Bit harsh :o I can only find two topics on feeding puppy started by Byott, which could easily be the result of accidental double posting :)

Hi Pippa

Thanks for that Pippa :o

Actually your right i did double post by mistake.

Takes all sorts i soppose some get out the wrong side of the bed.

Thank you for your kind words maybe you want to check my threads !! Have you had a bad day :o

Hi byott. :o

On inspection it appears that you did double post.

But you have also repeated your question, and that is against the rules.

Hi all.

Got my puppy  this evening.

What is a good puppy menu for him. hes 9 weeks old.

weetbix  & puppy milk. With egg. is the egg soft boiled ???

Its been along time since having one and need help

I don't think aatainc was being nasty at all but has the interests of the majority at heart.

Tip: If you believe someone has been nasty then report it.

When you respond in kind you only invite others to respond in the same fashion

and ultimately you will lose your thread. :)

:o

Edited by pewithers

Hi byott. :o

On inspection it appears that you did double post.

But you have also repeated your question, and that is against the rules.

Hi all.

Got my puppy  this evening.

What is a good puppy menu for him. hes 9 weeks old.

weetbix  & puppy milk. With egg. is the egg soft boiled ???

Its been along time since having one and need help

I don't think aatainc was being nasty at all but has the interests of the majority at heart.

Tip: If you believe someone has been nasty then report it.

When you respond in kind you only invite others to respond in the same fashion

and ultimately you will lose your thread. :)

:o

Hi Pewithers,

I did not say anyone was nasty !!

I just asked if she was having a bad day. another member allso thought she was abit harsh. Not only me.!!

Dont worry i will not be on here again. I thank all the kind people for there help. But i canot stand the bitchy comments wrote back by some . Its easy to hide behind a name. Ive been on alot of forums if this is what the dog & breeding world is like forget it. Im not at school any more and dont need it.

. Thanks all for the pms and your help .

Firstly people should be aware that giving chicken eggs to young dogs is not recommended. Their is a chemical in eggs that restricts the absorbtion of Biotin in pups.

Not so according to Billinghurst himself. I have lent out my copy of his original book so am quoting from memory.

"Egg white does inhibit the uptake of Biotin. The good news is the yolk is full of the stuff so overrides the the egg white. Feed the whole egg and your fine." or words to that effect.

I didn't mean to be nasty - but there are three topics started by byott - I can believe that one was a double post - but the one back a couple of pages got quite a few good responses and pewithers gave out my puppy menu, as did a lot of other people - and I thought that maybe byott was trolling.

A handy tip is to just revise your old post & edit the sub title, I keep reviving Mollys thread "Neospora & Molly" to give every one updates about her weight & cancer.... it's easier for me & everyone who is familiar with it just hits read last post or last post by & those that are new can still read from the start. :o

It also means I dont have to rehash if anyone has any questions that I have already answered :o

Jacqui

attaching labels to people on this forum seems incresingly common. Why would someone feel it is appropriate to call someone a "TROLL", after what looks like a innocent mistake.

sounds like this person "Aatainc" is trying to make trouble !!!!!

I hope byott does not leave !!! :thumbsup:

attaching labels to people on this forum seems incresingly common.  Why would someone feel it is appropriate to call someone a "TROLL", after what looks like a innocent mistake.

sounds like this person  "Aatainc" is trying to make trouble !!!!!

I hope byott does not leave !!! :thumbsup:

Hi peuty.

Thanks for your feedback. Actually glad im not the only one who thought that !!

NO i will not leave after your comment. :scared::rofl:

Hi byott. :laugh:

Well, I thank you for your question because I have been forced to evaluate my position on feeding my own puppy.

When Sooki came from the breeder I followed her diet and fed her 3 meals and 3 snacks daily but did not give any consideration to the weight of food she was getting each day.

Now, at 14 weeks my pup needs 10% of her weight in feed each day

Since she weighs 12.4kg she needs 1200g.

Her breakfast is 250g.

A half a cup of oats, one cup of milk, 3 tbs of yoghurt and tsp of honey.

She has 200g of chicken for lunch.

The average chicken frame is 200g, or 2 chicken wings, or 4 chicken necks.

Dinner is 200g of steak mince.

She gets a cup of milk for supper.

That adds to 900g

She won't eat vegetables yet so I am thinking of getting her some BARF patties.

Today she had black pudding, liver treats, and some ice-cream for snacks.

I must add that Sooki didn't eat breakfast or lunch today but had breakfast, lunch and dinner all together which suggests to me that she is getting ready for just 1 or 2 meals a day.

:confused:

PS The rule is not to make any comments other than those that relate to the post.

There may be many people here who know the person being criticised a lot better than those who choose to make superficial swipes at them.

What I have found on this site is that you need to earn your credibility.

I hope this helps.

Edited by pewithers

PS The rule is not to make any comments other than those that relate to the post.

There may be many people here who know the person being criticised a lot better than those who choose to make superficial swipes at them.

Actually I didn't realise there was any such rule Pewithers. If that is the case then Aatainc should have stuck to the topic instead of accusing a newbie of being a troll when it was obvious they made a simple mistake.

Whether you know someone or not, doesn't grant them free license to be rude to newbies.

Hey Pewthiers :laugh:

have a look in your dictionary for the word purpose, and then have a look for the word rules.

Let us know what it says.

Then I suggest you go into every thread where someone has gone off topic and give them the same warning :confused:

Edited by Pippa

Dear Pewithers,

I absolutely agree with that statement about the purpose of this forum, but wouldn't it also be wise to say that courtesy and understanding from long time members towards the "newbies", be a true statement.

People make mistakes !

People are quite happy to be told when they make a mistake as long as it is put constructively !

Not "must be a troll" statements !!!

Many people have information to gain from this fantastic forum and can also contribute equally as much.

You guys just have to make it a little easier !!!!!