Feeding Puppies Closed Thread

byott

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

We fed our Standard Poodle pup Know 14months, on:

The recomonded amount of dog food (we use Hill's and Supercoat) on package for her breed and weight and size.

For treats - Lamb shanks/necks, Chicken necks/wings.

I could say more but it hard to remember what else we fed her, what are you feeding you puppy on at the moment.

The main thing is to remember is not to over feed you puppy as overweight puppies have problems when older, especially Gldn Ret. and Labs

Palane

I feed my puppy [currently a 13w black Golden Retriever X, bizzarely enough] the following [would love some comments on this diet]:

Breakfast:

+ 50g mashed fruit [currently an apples and peaches mixture. He has also eaten oranges, bananas and rock melons.]

+ 59g egg

+ 50g rice

Lunch:

+ 1 x chicken neck

+ 100g chicken thigh / 100g tuna

+ 100g vegetables [currently pulped carrots, lettuce and capsicum; sometimes I add peas and bean sprouts]

Dinner:

+ 1 x chicken frame [~250 - 300g]

Snacks:

+ Carrot sticks

+ Fruit pieces

+ Liver treats

+ Ham

Abel currently weighs 8.2kg.

I fed/feed Tatum a mixture of raw chicken parts, lamb bits, offal, tinned mackeral, beef heart, minced beef/chicken, eggs. I also bought one 4 kilo bag of supercoat puppy as she was used to that in her diet. Once it ran out that was it. She also got/gets small amounts of vegies - both cooked and raw, rice, pasta, fruit and left overs.

Hi byott.  :D

Do you feel like some reading?

I hope so because there is an extensive list of links at the bottom of this link:

http://home.earthlink.net/~pawsreflect/nutrition.html

Let me know what they say.  :D

:)

Hello pewithers,

Thanks for the link. Sounds interesting reading. getting back to the wild. & yes i did read it all. have to try some more fresh food in his diet. & bones.

I shall wait for awhile as too may changes for the little one.

Yes id like to get my daughter whos 17 to eat alot of that. My daughter needs to fill out more :eek:

It is a big list only read the first one. Shall have to come back for the rest.

Byott,

HI! If you want to raise your puppy on BARF & you are not an experienced BARFER what you feed is very important. I would recommend buying the book Raising puppies on Bones. It is specifically for the puppy, most BARF diets on the net are for juvenilles & upwards. Or see if you can find a breeder of Goldens who feeds BARF & ask them for assistance.

Good Luck

Jacqui

Byott,

HI! If you want to raise your puppy on BARF & you are not an experienced BARFER what you feed is very important. I would recommend buying the book Raising puppies on Bones. It is specifically for the puppy, most BARF diets on the net are for juvenilles & upwards. Or see if you can find a breeder of Goldens who feeds BARF & ask them for assistance.

Good Luck

Jacqui

Hi Bommy.

I dont know if i really would do the Barf diet. Sounds quiet complicated !! . I will try and add alot more bones in the diet thou.

Still abit wary of chicken wings. I would worry they would choke.

If i was giving my puppy mince with his bisc. It it best to cook it or give raw. Its Mince for humans . I dont want to muck around too much just yet thou. the way he is. With his stool thing. shall just watch it abit

.Thanks

Hello to all, great to see people concerned about the importance of feeding a correct diet to their dogs!

Firstly people should be aware that giving chicken eggs to young dogs is not recommended. Their is a chemical in eggs that restricts the absorbtion of Biotin in pups. People may argue that they have fed their pups eggs fo years and had no probs. Although some could also say they just feed their "yard" dog biscuits and believe they have had no probs.

Anyway, as with even human nutrition their are endless views and theories as to the best way of eating.

In my opinion we should believe the proven facts, and take the rest through experience.

We have to consider natural environments because thats what animals were designed to eat.

Anyway, just my opinion others will disagree.

I feed my Doberman bitch as such.

Morning: One meaty bone. Pork, beef or Kangaroo tail. (All human grade, from the Butcher or Coles.) Not a meal, just something to chew while eat my brekky with her.

Afternoon: 3 large chicken wings, or 10 chicken necks, or 2 chicken frames. (All from Coles.)

Dinner: 150 - 500 grams of minced Beef, chicken, pork lamb or Roo. (Mostly beef.)

1 cup of finely chopped vegies. A handful of quality dog biscuits, 1 tablespoon of kelp and i drizzle grapeseed oil over the lot and stir it all in.

She also has 1 or 2 Vitamin E caps every night, 1 cod liver oil tab every 2nd night, and 1 multi vitamin occasionally.

Once a week, i will give her Chicken gizzards and livers in place of mince, and about once a fortnight, i replace mince with Salmon, Tuna, or Sardines. (her favourite night.)

I will soon start to give her an egg (with the shell) on 3-4 days per week.

I believe that this is a very good feeding resime for her, but i am open to

suggestions or advice as always.

She has the most beautiful black coat i have seen, and is also quite muscly. Did i also mention that she is such a beautiful dog! :laugh:

Aaron

Guest angenbear

HI byott, I have a golden retriever too. Goldens have sensitive stomach so be careful not to change the food too much or it will cause diarrhea. I do agree with you that chicken wings shouldn't be given to pups, I would also not give bones, since their baby teeth can fall off from chewing on them often. Perhaps later when the pup gets older. I have Bear on natural dry food, Innova, Bear loves it, and it's easy to digest.

Here are the ingredients:

Turkey

Chicken

Chicken Meal

Ground Barley

Ground Brown Rice

Cottage Cheese

Tomatoes

Sunflower Oil

Chicken Fat

Natural Flavors

Flaxseed

Potatoes

Herring

Apples

Carrots

Alfalfa Sprouts

Egg

Garlic

Chicory Root Extract

Taurine

Vitamins/Minerals

Viable Naturally Occurring Microorganisms

Bear has a very sensitive stomach so it took me awhile to find the right food for him. Good luck in finding the best for your pup.

Edited by angenbear

All puppies need raw meaty bones to chew on.

Their baby teeth will fall out when they are ready, bones are essential for healthy clean smiles, puppies need to chew and exercise their little jaws.

Chewing bones also occupies their busy little minds.

Byott,

Did you recieve a Diet Sheet with your Puppy?

I would be guided my your Breeder.

Also be aware that if your breeder has a health guarantee in place it may be subject to you feeding what he/she reccomends etc.

Regarding raw eggs.

Raw eggs contain great sources of amino acids, vitamins and minerals the white of the raw egg does also contain a chemical called Avidin which does bind biotin which is a B vitamin and stops it from absorbing However nature has given the yolk of the egg stacks of biotin in fact it is the highest concentrated source of the vitamin which can be found in nature. So eating raw eggs doesnt give you a deficiency in biotin at all unless you only ever eat the white without the yolk . Its a perfect balance which makes sure there's not too much or too little of the vitamin being able to be absorbed.

Ideally especially because you have a dog with a fairly high incidence of hip problems Id like to see you feeding a raw food diet and you really dont need to feel that its complicated or difficult Its all about feeding the dog the way you feed yourself with lots of balance and variety. You dont need to put heaps of energy in or be a kitchen whizz or a rocket scientist.

However the best advice I can offer anyone on feeding is that they ensure that they feed a balanced varied diet. Even if you choose to only feed commercial dog foods and nothing else you need to change them around , mix em together etc to prevent any over or under supplimentation of nutrients especially minerals. Also commercial dog foods dont have live emzymes, probiotics or most of the vitamins so you need to have a look at supplimenting these . No matter what the label says these things are destroyed in the processing and storage of the foods .

My puppies get little bits of everything same as my kids do.

The aim is to feed a varied balanced diet which aims for providing whatthe dog needs over a period of about a week . Just as you know you need to feed yourself and your kids variety and that its not possible to provide every thing they need in every meal this is the basic prncipal in having a healthy dog.

I would also stay away from mince, many mince products have preservatives in it.

Hi Jaqui, i agree. I don't like using food with preservatives for my girl either. My butcher sellls his mince with no preservatives. It only lasts a couple of days, and i don't like to freeze the meat so i go to the butcher a couple of times a week. :)

With the chicken wings, i used to use a hammer, and smash the wings with that and cut the joints into three. Slowly smash it less, until your puppy can handle it on their own.

As for chicken frames, i personally wouldn't trust a young pup eating one. I used to give just the larger nomes in the frame, sometimes smashed up. Always supervise your puppies when feeding bones.

Aaron

p.s. "angenbear", i'm not totally sure but i thought that alfalfa sprouts were a no no. I know you can get a powderised alfaalfa and that is supposed to be ok. :laugh:

cheers

Raw eggs contain great sources of amino acids, vitamins and minerals the white of the raw egg does also contain a chemical called Avidin which does bind biotin which is a B vitamin and stops it from absorbing However nature has given the yolk of the egg stacks of biotin in fact it is the highest concentrated source of the vitamin which can be found in nature. So eating raw eggs doesnt give you a deficiency in biotin at all unless you only ever eat the white without the yolk . Its a perfect balance which makes sure there's not too much or too little of the vitamin being able to be absorbed.

Hi Steve, thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware of the specifics that you pointed out. Now i do. :laugh:

Aaron

BYott

Commercial dog food which is sold as a complete food as most are alrady have a certain ratio of minerals in them Most especially phosphorous and calcium .

If you feed human grade mince then what you're doing is upsetting that balance and feeding too much phosphorous You would have the same result if you were feeding human grade mince and no commercial food.

These two minerals need each other to do their job in the body They also need some other trace minerals and vitamins but the especially important ones are these two. If you have too much phosphorous and not enough calcium then you have a situation where the phosphorous will leach calcium from the dogs bdy and bones in order to asimilate and move through the body so as you can imagine you can do huge damage to growing pups if you do this If you give too much calcium and not enough phosphorous you get a similar result especuially if you suppliment the wrong type of calcium or too much.

The answer is to feed meat with the bone this is just the right type of mineral and in the right proportions 9 plus week old puppies can easily eat up a chicken wing or lamb flap with no prolems.

Dont feed human grade mince whether its cooked or raw .This is the perfect recipe for bone and joint problems .

Guest angenbear

p.s. "angenbear", i'm not totally sure but i thought that alfalfa sprouts were a no no. I know you can get a powderised alfaalfa and that is supposed to be ok. :laugh:

cheers

I just looked online about alfalfa sprouts, and they say it's nutritional, here's an article on it: alfalfa sprouts

I think perhaps depending on what site you go to, it's either good or not. The site above says tomatoes aren't good, on this site, it says it's good:

vegetable diet

Edited by angenbear