Pitbulls To Get Bad Name Again

jazzie

The trigger in this case appears to have been an attempt to open the gate. The fact that dogs rarely attack for no reason does not mean that these attacks should be excused or attempts not made to prevent them.

Here's the thing:

There are a number of professions that may need to access your home without your permission or without notice. If you believe your dog might be a threat to the safety of such people then my advice is to contain the dog in such a way that it cannot attack people entering the property to access your front door.

If you don't want to do that then lock your bloody gates, add a 'beware of the dog' sign and accept that your dog may be shot if entry is required in an emergency.

Totally no excuse i agree, and i don't believe my dog to be a threat but was thinking along the lines it's better to be safe than sorry, and for people with dogs that could be accused of being a restricted breed it would stop ACO's just entering your property to apprehend your dog without your permission.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poodlefan

I have done my research Jed. The police in this incident were responding to a domestic incident for which they have express powers to enter premises. I provided a copy of those powers.

Shame you didn't read what I wrote. And what I then enlarged and bolded.

I wrote nothing about the police, I then qualified it, and there is still all this meaningless trash going on about ---- nothing. What a total waste of time and energy.

I am no expert, but I believe that every house has to have a clear path to the front door (ie no dogs)

Of course police have the right to enter a property especially once a domestic violence report has been received.

What if an ambulance had been required? Should they wait for the domestic violence victim, or the perpetrator to restrain the dogs?

Keep the dogs in the back yard.

I think you are correct in this. Every Delivery driver, Religion pusher, metre reader and Power company vendor (etc. etc.) has the right to safe access to the front door of any property. And this includes not tripping up on your garden hose or kids bikes while coming up the path too! You will find most household insurance policies have a Public Liability clause.

I think legally dogs must be contained to the rear of a property in this country. I've had letters in the past stating this as I've had dogs with acess to the entire property when living on small acreage and been asked to contain them for metre readers.

And just about any dog is capable of jumping up and biting someone on the face. The cop was just doing his job.

I think someone just has a strong dislike for the police and would have thought this police officer was still being "Mr Plod" even if he was attacked will saving a baby from a burning building. Gee strange, wonder why the police are so disliked by them?

I didn't know you could be charged with owning an attacking dog? what makes an attacking dog, one who's guarding territory? Perhaps I own attacking dogs... Unless the story refers to events after the fact.

Exactly what I was thinking!

What is an attacking dog? Could you be charged for having a maltese terrier that bit at strangers' ankles an 'attacking dog'? Would the owner of that dog have to go to court? of course not.

For Gods sake - its the owner not the breed - eg. what the UK are doing by punishing bad owners not 'bad breeds'. I think that is a FANTASTIC idea.

and im sorry for the police officer but its a bit stupid to just walk into a yard with three strange dogs.

I didn't know you could be charged with owning an attacking dog? what makes an attacking dog, one who's guarding territory? Perhaps I own attacking dogs... Unless the story refers to events after the fact.

What is an attacking dog? Could you be charged for having a maltese terrier that bit at strangers' ankles an 'attacking dog'? Would the owner of that dog have to go to court? of course not.

For Gods sake - its the owner not the breed - eg. what the UK are doing by punishing bad owners not 'bad breeds'. I think that is a FANTASTIC idea.

and im sorry for the police officer but its a bit stupid to just walk into a yard with three strange dogs.

Yes. You could be. You could be staring down the barrel of a dangerous dog declaration as for any other breed.

Read the laws in your state as they apply to dogs.

*sigh* does anyone bother to READ all the posts (including the 1st one) before jumping in?